• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Plans Legend of the Galactic Heroes Home Video for 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Kinda wonder how well this will all sell. Will it be DVD sets only I'm guessing?
No, because Sentai is phasing out DVDs.

Not 100%, however. Titles that had already received DVD but have more productions coming will still receive DVD sets to match, and any anime in the future that doesn't have HD materials will still be DVD-only. That being said, as others have said, LOGH did receive an HD remaster, complete with some redone animation at points, so Sentai will likely go BD-only here.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
FINALLY! Will it have a du-
*reads Sentai Filmworks*
Never mind! Still great news though.

I doubt this series will get dubbed, but not because it’s from Sentai. It won’t get dubbed because it’s a very long and niche series from 30 years ago. Sentai does dub most of their newer shows.

Lately Sentai has dubbed about half of their new stuff, not most of it. Logic says that LotGH will not be dubbed by Sentai. But I will not be shocked if they dub it, especially if they give it pricey LE's that would allow them recoup some of the cost.

Also, I think the release will be BD only.

Well that sucks, don't have a Blu-Ray player. Kinda wish Discotek got this title instead. Heck even Funimation would provide a DVD bundle pack for it.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Kinda wonder how well this will all sell. Will it be DVD sets only I'm guessing?
No, because Sentai is phasing out DVDs.

Not 100%, however. Titles that had already received DVD but have more productions coming will still receive DVD sets to match, and any anime in the future that doesn't have HD materials will still be DVD-only. That being said, as others have said, LOGH did receive an HD remaster, complete with some redone animation at points, so Sentai will likely go BD-only here.

I honestly figured with the risk of this series not selling well they would forego a Blu-Ray release. Considering they tried and failed to sell Gintama over here once through Sentai (Funimation's trying again.)
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well it's about time. Still waiting on all those Sunrise shows too.

Zalis116 wrote:
Even during the height of the "everything gets dubbed" mid-00s bubble period, LoGH didn't even get licensed at all, let alone dubbed.

Actually, it did get a pretty obscure test dub from Ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_UalbaFmQ
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Way to announce something we already knew, Sentai. Now tell us the release schedule, the price, and where to press to send my money for it.

As to whether or not it'll be dubbed in English... it's Sentai, do you really want a Sentai dub for LoGH? I guess I'd be willing to give it a chance, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
..., but I guess it makes sense since the episodes have wrapped on Hidive.

Technically, that won't be true until about 17 hours after I made this post.

Codeanime93 wrote:

Well that sucks, don't have a Blu-Ray player. Kinda wish Discotek got this title instead. Heck even Funimation would provide a DVD bundle pack for it.

Blu-ray players aren't expensive anymore (and haven't been for a while). If you could afford a DVD bundle pack for this, you could easily afford one. Of course, if you are still rocking an old CRT or older flat screen with no HDMI port, that wouldn't help much.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes we’ve all been waiting for this for so long. I’ve only seen the first “season” (about 28 episodes), but I plan to buy the whole series on bluray as long as it’s not more than $2-3 an episode. ($1 an episode would be best as it’s an old series and probably won’t be dubbed. I mean, doesn’t it have a world record with most voice actors/actresses in an anime?)

Last edited by LegitPancake on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Treiz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hurray. I am old school anime and like physical media over streaming/digital media.This way i can watch any series i buy at my own pace.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Codeanime93"][quote="angelmcazares"]
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Blu ray players are relatively inexpensive.Heck if you have a xbox or a playstation you have a blu ray player.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
YESSSS!! I've only been waiting for this so damn hard for like, 3 YEARS now! I just hope they give us like, a super special edition and all that stuff! Or several super special editions (y'know, with it being so damn long and all), because I will buy them ALLLL! I don't mind if this anime is the majority of my entire anime purchase for all of 2018 (other than a few things I'm going to want from Discotek later and Yuri on Ice, which is already on its way)

(now if only Udon could join them and release the Rose of Versailles manga)
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
..., but I guess it makes sense since the episodes have wrapped on Hidive.

Technically, that won't be true until about 17 hours after I made this post.

Codeanime93 wrote:

Blu-ray players aren't expensive anymore (and haven't been for a while). If you could afford a DVD bundle pack for this, you could easily afford one. Of course, if you are still rocking an old CRT or older flat screen with no HDMI port, that wouldn't help much.

Okay, costs here --

You can EASILY find a Blu ray player for under $100.
I'm sure they're in the $50-$70 for the non-premium brands.

Heck, I saw a standalone $80 4K Blu ray player not long ago in a computer store!

As far as HDMI making all the difference?

Uh -- NO. I used an old CRT tube set for YEARS with my PS3 and DIDN'T use HDMI, either.

Whether people believe me or not, I STILL saw a difference from Blu ray on the old CRT with the S-Video. The colors were MUCH better even in SD playback from the Blu ray and it didn't have the break-up/fast video/compression issues DVD does even in SD playback.

Right now, the low-end you'd want to be buying affordably would probably be Blu ray, NOT DVD. 4K upscale of Blu ray (1K standard) works a LOT better than upscale of DVD in general ever did. There's 24-32x the amount of pixel difference between old DVD (generally 720 X 480 pixels) and 4K Blu ray (3840 X 2160 pixels); the difference between original 1K Blu ray (1920 X 1080 pixels) and 4K BD Blu is 4K Blu ray has 4 times as many pixels. Upscale of DVD on a 4K TV set will look like crap no matter how you split it (unless you stick with 480p playback for the DVD). DVD upscale beyond 480p will always be inconsistent depending on how well the title was mastered and what the source for the video (16mm/35mm film or VHS/broadcast videotape) was. In general, film sources will look better than tape/early generation-SD digital video.

For anime, there's almost no point in getting 4K standard BD discs. There's still very little anime produced natively for 4K. Most of the titles are upscales (just like they are generally for even Blu ray releases). Heck, even Hollywood typically films in 2K for many films and upscales to 4K for disc releases! One of the recent blockbusters, Deadpool, was filmed 2K and upscaled to 4K for the 4K BD release!

I would still say get the 4K Blu ray player if you can afford it INSTEAD of a DVD player (for sure) or the standard Blu ray player -- just so that you WON'T be forced into an upgrade 5 years down line (unless you want to). 4K's have gone down tremendously for the TV sets and players. Sony has a decent $150 4K Blu ray player. They DO keep their players (PS3, PS4, BD, 4K BD) up-to-date with the protection key revisions for Blu ray discs. You have to have an Internet set-up to keep your Blu ray player up to date because some recent titles will NOT work on unsupported older BD player models. They change the protection schemes on Blu ray discs all the time. I've encountered updated keys on Gundam BD discs and recent Sentai titles -- I have an old Panasonic BD player that doesn't get the updated key's anymore.

That's why unlicensed VLC Player and freeware players are basically useless for the movie BD discs you buy in stores. People try to pass on "cracked keys" from BD discs all the time but it's a chore to get anything like that to work with freeware player! BD is a whole different game from DVD where the protection scheme was wired into the hardware. It's a software issue which makes BD a lot harder for the pirates to crack.

You still need to use a licensed Blu ray player software to play BD discs on computer.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
I've never seen this, but will probably pick it up on pedigree alone. Would I be correct in presuming this tells a complete story at 100+ eps that covers all the novels?
Drahksenzu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I've never seen this, but will probably pick it up on pedigree alone. Would I be correct in presuming this tells a complete story at 100+ eps that covers all the novels?

The 110 core series covers novels 1-10, while the gaiden series is 52 episodes and follows the gaiden novels of which there are 4.

It sounds like they are just releasing the core series but I don't know for sure. But the core series does wrap up and leave the show in completed state I thought. I still haven't gotten around to watching all of a gaiden although I've had them for years. But it mostly fills in gaps and gives you more information about the universe. There are a few movies too but I have not seen any of those yet.

I plan to pick these up if I can,I'd like to watch the series again with a proper official translation. I have also been buying the translated novels as they come out but I'm not going to start reading till they are all out.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that the smart thing to do for Sentai is release LotGH as four $50-60 something Blu-ray sets as the series is already broken into four seasons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes_episodes) and then release a $200 something ultra-collector's box set for the hardcore fans a bit later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3