• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: As the Seiyū World Turns: Two Births, Hints of a Secret Wife, and a Divorce

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Big mistake, sadly the horde will probably stalk him until they find his wife.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
My that was bold of Sakurai. I'm not surprised if he has a wife but some of these middle aged male seiyuu still have to keep pretty quiet about their personal lives, especially someone as popular (especially with women) as Sakurai.

I'd hope Sakurai's fanbase would mostly be sane but every time a rumour goes around that Akira Ishida is married or dating there are fans going NOOOOOOOOOO at the idea (and he's 7 years Sakurai's senior) and I remember there have been some cases in the past few years where Daisuke Ono had mad fans destroy his CDs over rumours he was in a serious relationship. On the flip side there have been highly popular contemporaries such as Hiroshi Kamiya and Hikaru Midorikawa who have revealed marriages and managed to keep their fanbases happy.

I'm guessing because it's a radio show it's a bit easier to get away with, especially if it's a nod and not a full admission. Toshiyuki Morikawa (oddly enough the original Griffith) pulled something similar with discreetly mentioning his marriage in a radio show. Like Sakurai, Morikawa has a very large female fanbase and his persona is still quite female friendly/fangirl baity so he managed to get away with it because it was hidden in something not all the fanbase was going to hear about.

Good luck to Sakurai - both with his career and with the potential fangirl reaction. (On the plus side he's in so many mainstream projects these days he can afford to be blacklisted by some fangirls Anime hyper)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)

Does everyone related to Jun Maeda's stuff have shitty hearts? Mad
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Good for Sakurai. Seiyuu deserve happiness without having to withstand their fans' constant scrutiny.
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Think again, Sakurai. You may be a middle-aged man, but the manic fangirls of Japan might not let something that big slide...
In all seriousness, wishing all these celebrities the best. Life goes on in the most beautiful of ways.

...and also BABY!!! Very Happy So cute!
xotaku4lifex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Marina and Mami on their children, respectively!! I hope their children are blessed Smile
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai did have a wife. I mean the dude's middle age. Of course he would want to get married and settle down at that point right? I just wish that all seiyuus could be open about their relationships but there are some of those crazy fans out there.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Ms. Kawada and Marina n.n

Sad for Ms. Nakashima Sad

So Mr. Sakurai is possibly married. Nice! I just hope they are okay and best of all luck possible, because you know... Rolling Eyes
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
What's really interesting to me, about the Mami Kawada thing (and I could just be being hopeful lol) is that his tweet about it read " I am sorry that my report was delayed. I hope to continue working hard so that we can deliver wonderful music in the future so we hope for your continued patronage. "

He said "we". This was right after her first live performance it nearly two years, since she retired. I wonder if performing live again might've made her rethink her retirement...I sure hope so. Index without Mami will be weird. Either way, he's one of the best anisong composers/arrangers. They created a super baby, no doubt.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
This might actually make a good weekly column, As the Seiyuu World Turns.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Sakurai is 43, well damn.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
This might actually make a good weekly column, As the Seiyuu World Turns.

I love the title! Every time an interest article about seiyuu's personal lives gets published, some people post something like "who cares?", so compiling all those marriage/baby/divorce/speculative announcements in a short weekly column might keep away haters.

In any case, congrads to the new (-ish) parents, wishing strengths to the divorcees and on Sakurai--do fangirls want him to be an eternal bachelor? That's just possessive!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
A 43 year old may be married. My god what is the world coming to lol.

Sakurai Takahiro has always been one of my favorite Seiyuu because of his voice acting (imagine that) not because I thought he was single. The way they need to keep their private lives private in Japan is just insane.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope Sakurai and his wife are able to continue live semi-normal life. Fan obsession is bit too much when you need hide your marriage for sake of your job.
chocorade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
HolsteinCrab wrote:
. On the flip side there have been highly popular contemporaries such as Hiroshi Kamiya and Hikaru Midorikawa who have revealed marriages and managed to keep their fanbases happy.

Honestly, when Kamiya's marriage was discovered, it was actually kind of horrible. Let aside the tabloids obtaining pictures of him and his wife, etc, there were a lot of fans that were angry/disappointed and got rid of his merch and said that they wouldn't support him anymore. Although it did died down quite quickly, from what I saw.

I can't believe people have to hide their relationship status so much. It's just ridiculous!
Also I would think that fangirls would love hearing their fav seiyuu/idol is married and is a great husband, or a great dad, etc... but what do I know, I'm aroace as heck lol.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sakurai appeared on the program "Comechat Countdown" with voice actresses Yuka Iguchi, Maaya Sakamoto and Mikako Takahashi on Saturday.

This sounds kind of weird since Sakurai didn't simply appear on Comchat that one time, he HOSTS it, and has been hosting it for 15 years. This sentence makes it sound like he was a guest. Sorry, a small nitpick, I know.

HolsteinCrab wrote:
On the flip side there have been highly popular contemporaries such as Hiroshi Kamiya and Hikaru Midorikawa who have revealed marriages and managed to keep their fanbases happy.

chocorade wrote:
Honestly, when Kamiya's marriage was discovered, it was actually kind of horrible. Let aside the tabloids obtaining pictures of him and his wife, etc, there were a lot of fans that were angry/disappointed and got rid of his merch and said that they wouldn't support him anymore.

I was going to say the same thing in regards to this. Kamiya's marriage wasn't revealed by choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2