• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Reveals Map of Most Popular Winter Anime Simulcasts in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
...(this list) only accounts for people who watch anime via CrunchyRoll, and the millions of people who watch it through other means aren't taken into consideration...
One only needs to look at the best/worst of the season stats here to see why I was surprised Darling and Death March or even Overlord were on the map at all. Darling is at either #7 or #12 and Overlord was at #11 or #15. It seems there is a big disconnect between ANN contributors and CR viewers at least.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
well sure. the rankings on this site only pull in a couple hundred voters at best.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
One only needs to look at the best/worst of the season stats here to see why I was surprised Darling and Death March or even Overlord were on the map at all. Darling is at either #7 or #12 and Overlord was at #11 or #15. It seems there is a big disconnect between ANN contributors and CR viewers at least.

There's not necessarily a direct correlation between "how many people watched a show" and "how people would rate a show". Personally, I watched plenty of stuff in the past year that I'd give 3 out of 5 stars at best.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
Heh. People may be flinging lots of crap at Citrus, but they're still watching it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
Please/thanks to those that can explain to the possible licensing reasons why CR doesn't have a YT-style view count for its videos, excluding that view counts can be manipulated.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Please/thanks to those that can explain to the possible licensing reasons why CR doesn't have a YT-style view count for its videos, excluding that view counts can be manipulated.

I don't know if it is a licensing restriction, but there are a lot of reasons why neither CR nor a production committee might want that information to be publicly available. Or in CR's case, even available to licensors! The same reasons that Netflix no longer even has ratings. You can extrapolate a lot from just a little data, and some people have the statistics background to reach pretty accurate figures that can be used by their competition or to raise licensing costs, or any number of things. And of course there are plenty of people who will misunderstand and manipulate figures in increasingly ridiculous ways the more abstract the statistics get.
I'm surprised CR still shows the number of people who have voted for an episode, honestly, but I hope they never get rid of it, because I've been able to learn quite a lot from them.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I like Europe's better because it has Mummy.

This is why we love you, Portugal*, even though you colonized us, stole from us and enslaved us
*well some of us
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I like Europe's better because it has Mummy.

This is why we love you, Portugal*, even though you colonized us, stole from us and enslaved us
*well some of us

I'd say you are a pretty forgiving soul.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why isn't Cardcaptor Sakura doing better on the map? The original series might not have been as big as Sailor Moon, but it has a big enough niche following. The Clear Card arc seems mostly positively received by fans and it did well enough it contributed to Crunchyroll's servers crashing the first few weeks aired.

Are you sure that's not just Dragon Ball Super taking down the site? It gets far more social media buzz than Cardcaptor Sakura and they drop around the same time.

Clear Card only appears in a few states and got shut out of the Canadian chart. It doesn't sound like something that would crash the site.
Emdykay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why isn't Cardcaptor Sakura doing better on the map? The original series might not have been as big as Sailor Moon, but it has a big enough niche following. The Clear Card arc seems mostly positively received by fans and it did well enough it contributed to Crunchyroll's servers crashing the first few weeks aired.

Are you sure that's not just Dragon Ball Super taking down the site? It gets far more social media buzz than Cardcaptor Sakura and they drop around the same time.

Clear Card only appears in a few states and got shut out of the Canadian chart. It doesn't sound like something that would crash the site.

While it is neither a reliable basis for general popularity or viewer count, compare the numbers of MAL users who have the shows on their list for winter anime: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2018/winter (sorty by most members).
This sure is arbitrary, even while already only being indicative of MAL users, but it is also a way to rougly gouge the amount of attention a show is getting and CCS isn´t exactly a smash hit with 46,000 users, comapred to most other shows that pop up frequently on the maps who have 100,000ish and up users, Grancrest Senki being an exception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3