• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia Win Big at Crunchyroll's Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
... I vote for CR's approach to having insiders suggest a limited pick and then leaving it to the public with an "other" write-in category. However, I'd eliminate the 50/50 judge/public weighing.
The judges pick the category choices which is what 99% of people will select and they get 50% of the deciding vote which means that it is closer to an industry awards show. That isn't a problem except that Crunchyroll portrays it as a popularity awards show which is how people who agree with the results tend to talk about it. This hybrid model does guarantee more political correctness in the awards show which is the intended purpose.
You are right about the 99% which is why I favor a hybrid model with different weighing. To have a chance of representing public opinion over that of the judges, the weighing would have to be something like 33% to the public's 66%. In most cases the public follows and the judge picks win but if more than 50% of the public disagrees, their pick can win. (Edit: Just saw your post, good to see you point out the problem with 50/50, also getting 50% of 10 judges to agree is much easier than getting 50% of 1Million)

While some here debate the real reason for the awards show, I once again applaud CR for having links to the nominated shows so those who have only seen one or two of the contenders can check out the others without having to watch all/most of the shows in a season. This encourages people broadening their opinion base and may lead to more shows being watched, which is a plus for CR.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
A community vote is way more interesting.

No, it is predictable and boring.
Why than does Crunchyroll keep promoting the Anime Awards as though it was determined by popular vote? If people didn't care about what was most popular than Crunchyroll would change the judge deciding vote from 50% to 100% and than they wouldn't even need the online voting. I wouldn't have a problem with that change since at least than everyone would know that it is based on the judges opinions.

For example imagine that during the 2020 Crunchyroll Anime Awards that the Anime of the Year was voted on by the judges. My Lesbian Romance on the Soccer Field got 1% of the popular vote vs Vampire Space War with 99% of the popular vote. If all the judges voted for My Lesbian Romance on the Soccer Field than it wins Anime of the Year which basically invalidates the point of having the popular vote.

Crunchyroll wants the allure of a popular vote but they aren't trusting enough to allow that to happen. The feminists complained about Rem winning Best Girl last year so Crunchyroll went out of their way to not have any sexy girls in the Best Girl category this year. The careful selection is becoming more obvious with every passing year.

I don't mean to jump in on anything here, but the reason for why shows becomes popular is because they are doing something right, right? But it's very rare it does everything right/are the best at everything. When it comes to popular vote, the vote is rather hollow if 33% of the voters vote on 5 different shows and have only seen 2 of them, or worse, just 1. I do not feel MHA deserved winning every single one of the categories it was nominated in (except show of the year, where I suspect judges had to strong-arm it), and I suspect the majority of those who've seen all of the shows or "experts" would agree with that assessment.

I don't immediately believe that any toxic feminist's voice had anything to do with this year's best girl award, but I agree that it was strange of them not to have Meme magic Satania, Tanya or Sagiri. As a matter of fact it was strange for those shows not to be nominated for anything (other than best villain (Tanya)). Astolfo from Fate should also perhaps have been nominated in best boy imo (he was voted the most popular character of the season (boy or girl) in Japan). Eromanga should have been nominated in some categories considering it was the most watched and rated show during spring. However, I think the reason for why this didn't happen is because the event was hosted by Crunchyroll, and not because any toxic feminism was involved. I could be wrong though, it was hosted in Hollywood after all (+5 points for those who get the joke). However, I also feel that shows like New Game or Food Wars could have gotten nominated for some categories too, and those are on Crunchyroll, so it's hard to say.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I get what you're trying to say, and I wholeheartedly agree that no one's taste is objectively superior than another's, but I think you are inherently more qualified simply by having watched nearly all of the shows. Not saying you can judge their quality "objectively", but you can judge them in your own mind based on your own opinion, which is something that someone who has only watched one nominee can NOT do. Their taste certainly holds equal value to anyone else, but if they are voting in a poll with multiple options, they can't make a qualified decision on the "best" of them even in their own opinion. It's the best one they've seen, but that's not saying much if you have only seen one of them.
I guess you're making the argument that they know what they like, and they wouldn't like any of the other choices, because "such and such mainstream genre" is their thing, but having known many previously picky media consumers who now watch nearly everything, I think that is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy and a close-minded transition period than anything concrete. They usually haven't ventured far enough to find the good stuff.

While they can't really make a qualified decision on what is the best of the nominees if they have only seen one of them, I think they are perfectly qualified to choose what they believe is the best in that category overall. I don't think you need to have seen the other five nominees for Anime of the Year, Action, Drama, Slice of Life to make a reasonably informed decision on what is the best in each category, to say nothing of the most subjective categories. Even though I previously excluded CGI and I wouldn't say so for the other nominees in that category, I think someone who has only seen Land of the Lustrous is perfectly qualified to to judge the best CGI, as it is one of the few CG anime that all but the most CG allergic could recommend, which I think is indicative enough of the quality of its CG even without seeing the others.

@Chrono1000 In your scenario, the only way the very unpopular choice beats out the extremely popular choice is if 100% of the judges vote for the other one, and I don't find that likely, even with the most critical darlings. I also think you overestimate the popularity of the most popular shows (Even OPM only got about 50% of the vote) and underestimate the popularity of stuff like My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness...err My Lesbian Romance on the Soccer Field and shows that are well regarded by critics. For example, in the Mega Poll on this site, the populist MHA got first with 29.9% and the critical darling MiA got...second with 29.3%.

As for your dissatisfaction with the choices for best girl, I'm not sure there is as obvious a choice (or choices) as last year, at least when it comes to anime. As someone who regularly follows what's going on on pixiv, games seemed to hold more of the popular girls. Maybe Sagiri, but incest shows don't tend to be well regarded by critics, not unreasonably, and I say that as someone who watched the show. I wouldn't be too keen on voting for a twelve year old character for best girl, particularly when they are nominated for being "sexy". Edit: Serval (and the other Kemono Friends) were popular on pixiv as well, so its not like they are entirely lacking in that regard. We'll see what happens next year, as I think 02 seems like she could be an early favorite.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised Shishigami didn't win Best Villain. My guess is that either he wasn't a "likable" villain like Stain or not enough people watched Inuyashiki. And it's a real shame Rakugo Shinju didn't win Best Drama. I didn't even watch the second season and know it should've won.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
No, it is predictable and boring.

You act as if critics aren't predictable and boring as well. When they're not being completely ignorant of a medium and fanbase, they're pushing political agendas and fighting against wrongthink. It was extremely predictable at how much gay-themed manga there was in the options once you look at it being a critic nomination. At least with a commnity pick it gives us an idea on what's actually popular and bloved, rather than a few people desperately trying to push a niche title no one but them cares about. In fact, I'd wager critics are much more predictable, because at least a community can have a silent majority that is different from what a vocal fanboy minority is saying and end up surprising you.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
@ zrnzle500, I believe Chrono1000's point, which was also mine, is that if 100% of judges agreed, no amount of popular opinion could overturn the result. Adding that it is much easier to get 2/10 judges to agree than 20% of a million people, to have a chance of representing popular opinion, the weighing needs to be more in favor of the public.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
To have a chance of representing public opinion over that of the judges, the weighing would have to be something like 33% to the public's 66%.

In this case, though, that probably would have meant MHA would have taken the big prize. 50/50 doesn't mean public opinion can't control the result--it clearly did for many of the other awards that MHA won. It basically means that the most strongly favored option by either the judges or the public will win, which seems like a relatively fair balance to me.

It's interesting how this played out, because even though MHA was obviously the most popular show, it seems clear from comments and the Twitch reactions (instantly flipped from spamming "My Hero wins everything, zzz" to spamming "Abyss won?! Not rigged!") that most people didn't actually want it to win. Even though, inevitably, it must have gotten the most votes. The winner of the popularity contest was not the most popular choice! (Partly this is because, going by their prediction poll, it only got about 1/3rd of the votes, but the sense that it shouldn't win best anime on top of everything else seemed much stronger than that.) Ironically, in a sense it was rigged, but because of that it made people feel that it was fair. This sort of paradox is why you can't rely too heavily on public opinion for things like this.
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

While they can't really make a qualified decision on what is the best of the nominees if they have only seen one of them, I think they are perfectly qualified to choose what they believe is the best in that category overall. I don't think you need to have seen the other five nominees for Anime of the Year, Action, Drama, Slice of Life to make a reasonably informed decision on what is the best in each category, to say nothing of the most subjective categories...

This year alone I've been given pointers towards new anime I did not expect to like (Violet Evergarden, After the Rain, Laid Back Camp and A Place Further Than the Universe). All those shows actually became my favorites this season. It must be said that I'm rarely this far off in predicting what shows I expected to enjoy (based on the art style alone), where I'm usually more into the action or ecchi/comedy type of shows. However, it kinda shows how wrong one can be about first impressions. Now, I'm just one person, thus hardly a statistical significant sample, but if you don't know what the other shows is about, then that is the very definition of not being qualified to make an informed decision, because you don't know what you are comparing it to.

zrnzle500 wrote:

As for your dissatisfaction with the choices for best girl, I'm not sure there is as obvious a choice (or choices) as last year, at least when it comes to anime... Maybe Sagiri... We'll see what happens next year, as I think 02 seems like she could be an early favorite.

Agree with this assessment, and 02 has indeed made a strong case for herself thus far, I just hope they/we don't forget about her at the end of the year.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
I don't mean to jump in on anything here, but the reason for why shows becomes popular is because they are doing something right, right?

Usually yes, but genre and circumstances also have a lot of weight. Even if MHA's character development, direction, script quality, animation etc remained the same but it were a high school romance instead of a battle shounen, it wouldn't be a quarter as popular as it is now. Likewise, stuff like who the author is, where it's released, at what time a certain chapter is published or who took an interest on it can make a difference and snowball from there.
In the abscence of proper competition, these might even become the ONLY reasons. Of course it wasn't the case for MHA, which did a lot of things right.

But conveniently enough you later mentioned Eromanga-sensei, where we can see this at play. It's an obvious case of a fairly popular show... but a failure among critics (and thus Sagiri didn't end up in best girl). With the case of Eromanga-sensei you can see that those circumstances, namely being by the author and illustrator of OreImo, are THE reason why it's popular. When you get down to its content, there's a lot of wrong (not because of "yuck, incest", it's a very shallow, whimsical and self-serving show) while the little right it did was fairly generic (which isn't going to be appreciated by critics either).
It's a show that's popular not because it did something right, critically speaking, but because a different show did something right.

This should have been a far shorter comment, sorry >_>
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
That MiA won best means that both the judges and public agree on the same thing. If judges stats mirror the public's, 50/50 is fair but as I posit, that is much less likely to be the case. Also, to the above post, the public tends to sway more towards feeling than analysis IMO. An example being PTE, there is a lot wrong in it's composition but it seems it is becoming popular. If that becomes next year's best SOL my head will explode...Also, 02 best girl Cool

I wouldn't join in the "XX was robbed" discussion, but based on critical reviews alone "Descending Stories" seems like it could have won best drama at least (I didn't see that one, not my "cup of tea"). I will agree that LWA had better sakuga than MHA, but there was so much "goodness" all around it becomes a matter of small differences between equals for one to win. Maybe they could publish a "runner up" list?
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
But conveniently enough you later mentioned Eromanga-sensei, where we can see this at play. It's an obvious case of a fairly popular show... but a failure among critics (and thus Sagiri didn't end up in best girl). With the case of Eromanga-sensei you can see that those circumstances, namely being by the author and illustrator of OreImo, are THE reason why it's popular. When you get down to its content, there's a lot of wrong (not because of "yuck, incest", it's a very shallow, whimsical and self-serving show) while the little right it did was fairly generic (which isn't going to be appreciated by critics either).
It's a show that's popular not because it did something right, critically speaking, but because a different show did something right.

This should have been a far shorter comment, sorry >_>

Hehe, no problem.

Well, actually, I feel Eromanga-sensei should easily have won best comedy this year, (and I was very surprised AHO-girl wasn't a nominee too, and Blend S not being in Slice of Life category, but these things happen). I also believe Eromanga-sensei became popular because it was pretty funny, as a matter of fact it was probably anime of the year last year for me (haven't thought about it before now). I feel it was much better than both seasons of Oreimo, as a matter of fact I felt it was the supreme version of Oreimo in a way.

But ye, it was also most definitely hated because of those elements you mentioned as well. If you hated Naruto, then you won't start watching Buruto, am I right? Some shows are hated and loved, while in My Hero Academia's case I'd say there's very little hate. It's a good show, and it does a lot of good things right, my point was simply that it probably isn't that best at everything. If it had gotten nominated for best score or ending (even manga), then it would have won that too, I guarantee you.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a fine selection of the year's best stuff. Most of my favorites won awards and my favorite of the year won the biggest award.

I also liked that Girl's Last Tour won the slice of life award (it was underrepresented in the top shows of the year lists in this site). IMO it's among the best shows ever so it deserved recognition.

MHA won a lot of prizes but that's fine, it's an extremely entertaining thing and very accessible so I don't think it's a bad thing it won 7 awards. It's among my top 5 shows of 2017 anyway.

I guess Land of the Lustrous didn't win anything big since it didn't have any significant competition in CGI anyway.

Little Witch Academia was the only favorite of mine which didn't win anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@ zrnzle500, I believe Chrono1000's point, which was also mine, is that if 100% of judges agreed, no amount of popular opinion could overturn the result. Adding that it is much easier to get 2/10 judges to agree than 20% of a million people, to have a chance of representing popular opinion, the weighing needs to be more in favor of the public.

While I agree that its easier to get judges to agree than the general population, I think it is very difficult to get 100% percent of judges to agree, even for the most meritorious shows. I can see 8 or maybe 9, but one is bound to disagree, if only to add some variety.

Crext wrote:
This year alone I've been given pointers towards new anime I did not expect to like (Violet Evergarden, After the Rain, Laid Back Camp and A Place Further Than the Universe). All those shows actually became my favorites this season. It must be said that I'm rarely this far off in predicting what shows I expected to enjoy (based on the art style alone), where I'm usually more into the action or ecchi/comedy type of shows. However, it kinda shows how wrong one can be about first impressions. Now, I'm just one person, thus hardly a statistical significant sample, but if you don't know what the other shows is about, then that is the very definition of not being qualified to make an informed decision, because you don't know what you are comparing it to.

While I wouldn't watch as many shows as I do if I didn't believe in keeping a open mind, I don't think you have to see all or most of the other nominees of the category. If the question were "What is the best X of the year of these choices" that would be one thing, but I think it is perfectly valid to interpret it as "What is the best X of the year", full stop, especially given the option to write in, as there are more anime than just what was nominated. If someone had not seen the six nominees for Anime of the Year, but had seen AoT 2, AMB, Konosuba, Dragon Maid, and Food Wars, I think they would be qualified to write in any of those choices. At the very least in terms of results, for the categories that I highlighted, I don't think there was any truly incorrect choices, so even if they weren't "qualified", the results would nonetheless still be reasonable.

@Yuvelir While I agree with you for the most part on Eromanga-sensei, there was one area that it executed well. Its production values were impeccable, in particular the character animation. Though, that may not be enough to override what they are using that excellent character animation to do, and I don't think it would be enough to warrant it being better regarded critically.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The only reason MHA seems over represented is because four of the award categories were well suited to its strengths. Out of all the awards those four character awards feel the most like fun fluff perfectly suited for a popular vote where MHA will do well. It also helps that two of the awards even match up with MHA themes perfectly (heroism vs villainy).

The animation award only feels undeserved because CR screwed up and nominated a movie against a bunch of TV shows. If it weren't for that MHA would be a fine winner for that category. Considering the unfair nature of that one I'm fine with MHA still managing to win.

A different set of award categories would produce different results. Personally, I feel they should drop Best Villain and Hero. It's too specific to certain genres/types of shows. That would free up two slots for some better categories that promote more diversity in winners. My suggestions would be Best Romance, Best Style, or perhaps split Best Animation into a TV and movie category.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
You are right about the 99% which is why I favor a hybrid model with different weighing. To have a chance of representing public opinion over that of the judges, the weighing would have to be something like 33% to the public's 66%. In most cases the public follows and the judge picks win but if more than 50% of the public disagrees, their pick can win. (Edit: Just saw your post, good to see you point out the problem with 50/50)
Crunchyroll either needs to reduce the voting weight for the judges or just make it into an industry awards show. As it stands now they are creating a very good reason for suspicion since a show can be unpopular but still win the award if most of the judges vote for it.

Crext wrote:
I don't mean to jump in on anything here, but the reason for why shows becomes popular is because they are doing something right, right? But it's very rare it does everything right/are the best at everything.
The question of popularity vs quality is complex but people do want truth in advertising. If a company promotes their awards show as if it was based on popularity than that is what people will expect from it. At the moment there is a dissonance between what Crunchyroll claims the Anime Awards are and what they actually are.

Crext wrote:
I don't immediately believe that any toxic feminist's voice had anything to do with this year's best girl award, but I agree that it was strange of them not to have Meme magic Satania, Tanya or Sagiri.
I expect that sexy girls are no longer allowed at the Anime Awards show since feminists complained about Rem winning Best Girl. If Crunchyroll needs to they could create a Female Hero category and that way they won't have to exclude sexy girls from the Best Girl category. Still that would require them to admit that there is a problem with the spectator sport of demonizing men and they might already be too far gone to see that as a problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9