• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Beginner's Guide to Full Metal Panic!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatguy12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to FMP. I very much enjoyed the first seasons (1-2 probably a little better than 3).

Quote:
the Whispered, individuals born with an intimate understanding of technology that far exceeds the average human. This rare genetic trait makes Whispered individuals very valuable.

I forget if this is mentioned in the anime, or if I read spoilers for it somewhere, but I thought the common factor between the Whispered was that spoiler[they were all born at approximately the same time (at the same time as some mysterious type of signal pulsed over the world, presumably from the future). I didn't think that genetics played a role.]

Though that might just be a reasonable simplification or minor misdirection to not spoil things too much in this review.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how well they’ll manage to introduce the series to new viewers. Six volumes in is pretty far, and it seems odd to expect the average viewer to be familiar with a 12+ year old story. There’s just so much that needs to be exposited about Sagara and Kaname, it really seems like they might have been better served going the Brotherhood route and simply re-adapting the entire series from the beginning.

pwnagemaster wrote:
Quote:
the new series would begin with volume 6

I remember we weren't quite sure what he meant by this.

We've all been pretty sure that the new season is going to start with Continuing on my Own, which is book 7, since book 6, Dancing Very Merry Christmas, has a much more light-hearted tone than the remaining story and since the PVs all seem to be showing stuff from COMO. Basically, does Ending Day by Day (which is split into parts 1 and 2) count as volume 4 or volumes 4 and 5?

On a side note, still really hoping DVMC gets animated at some point. We need to see maid Tessa.

DVMC takes place mostly on a cruise ship, and a cruise ship features prominently in the art, so it seems likely they’ll adapt it. If they were going to cut any of the story, DVMC would be the story to remove, not so much because of its tone, but rather because it’s very self-contained.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice job, been waiting for this!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Sorry if I’m wrong, but in season 1 spoiler[didn’t Kaname say that her parents were dead, not traveling in America as the bio in the article explains?] I just finished watching the 3 parts in time for this new one and I’m wondering if I’m remembering incorrectly or if the article made a tiny mistake.

i also she remembered she saying that in the manga version of FMP when ADV Films had its manga division licensed it.

unless it was a typo error on the manga, the only other reason was that the author made changes to her bio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I wonder how well they’ll manage to introduce the series to new viewers. Six volumes in is pretty far, and it seems odd to expect the average viewer to be familiar with a 12+ year old story.

DVMC takes place mostly on a cruise ship, and a cruise ship features prominently in the art, so it seems likely they’ll adapt it. If they were going to cut any of the story, DVMC would be the story to remove, not so much because of its tone, but rather because it’s very self-contained.

I think I saw somewhere that they actually re-aired at least TSR and fumoffu in Japan. Plus, there were those "Director's Cut" movies they made for the 1st season.

And the art they're using there is the art they used for the audio drama, which did cover DVMC. All the PVs for IV have shown stuff that happens in COMO.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Sorry if I’m wrong, but in season 1 spoiler[didn’t Kaname say that her parents were dead, not traveling in America as the bio in the article explains?] I just finished watching the 3 parts in time for this new one and I’m wondering if I’m remembering incorrectly or if the article made a tiny mistake.

i also she remembered she saying that in the manga version of FMP when ADV Films had its manga division licensed it.

unless it was a typo error on the manga, the only other reason was that the author made changes to her bio.
Not unusual for an anime adaptation to be different from what is written in the source manga. Wink
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
hatguy12 wrote:
I forget if this is mentioned in the anime, or if I read spoilers for it somewhere, but I thought the common factor between the Whispered was that spoiler[they were all born at approximately the same time (at the same time as some mysterious type of signal pulsed over the world, presumably from the future). I didn't think that genetics played a role.]

Though that might just be a reasonable simplification or minor misdirection to not spoil things too much in this review.

What you said in the spoiler is correct. Theron's statement that it is a genetic trait is not accurate. Actually the first part of the snippet you quoted isn't really accurate either, but I don't want to explain why here even in a spoiler tag because it is a pretty huge spoiler.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
hatguy12 wrote:

What you said in the spoiler is correct. Theron's statement that it is a genetic trait is not accurate. Actually the first part of the snippet you quoted isn't really accurate either, but I don't want to explain why here even in a spoiler tag because it is a pretty huge spoiler.

I'll just take that bit out then.
ditto526

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
While i loved the first series and the second was just goofy, the third was a lot darker and now you are saying that this 4 chapter will be even worse, what happened to the lightheartedness of the first season, it is what attracted everyone in the first place, why ruin what the fans liked in the first place
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
ditto526 wrote:
While i loved the first series and the second was just goofy, the third was a lot darker and now you are saying that this 4 chapter will be even worse, what happened to the lightheartedness of the first season, it is what attracted everyone in the first place, why ruin what the fans liked in the first place

I think the real issue is that the first season had a bunch of light hearted segments that weren't in the novels (though I believe pretty much all of it was based on side material written by the author rather than anime original filler), and then Fumoffu was pretty much entirely that. This gives the impression that the series is more light hearted action comedy than it really is. This also means that the final season could potentially have some of that, but I kind of doubt it given the amount of material they have to cover and the fact that it looks like they're skipping over the one almost entirely just for fun novel remaining.

And for the people making the anime, who do you cater it for? Fans of the light hearted original or fans of the novels? You say 'ruin what the fans liked in the first place,' but I think you will easily find plenty that liked it either of those ways.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
ditto526 wrote:

As far as I take it, Full Metal Panic's setup has always been a military operation story first, with the lighthearted comedy serving as an added bonus. The first series does a balancing act between both, but the overall tone can be apparent from the opening scene; a dramatic rescue of a whispered girl with Sousuke's AS propelling an attack helicopter into the ground.

To say that the lighthardeness alone is what attracted everyone in the first place is a bit skewed, since that really depends on the fan's personal preference. I've seen plenty of people say that they only really cared for the comedic Fumoffu over the main story plot, which is perfectly fine; it's executed really well. However there are plenty of dedicated FMP fans who've become invested in the serious story plot line as well and have been waiting for 13 years to see the remainder of it concluded in anime form. And those fans finally get their long-awaited wish with this upcoming Invisible Victory anime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I wonder how well they’ll manage to introduce the series to new viewers. Six volumes in is pretty far, and it seems odd to expect the average viewer to be familiar with a 12+ year old story. There’s just so much that needs to be exposited about Sagara and Kaname, it really seems like they might have been better served going the Brotherhood route and simply re-adapting the entire series from the beginning.

I'm curious to see that, too. They have a lot of ground to cover, and not many episodes to do it, so a recap seems like a waste, but after this long, it might be considered necessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2