• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Hakumei and Mikochi, Chio's School Road Manga, Do You Like Your Mom? Light

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
Chio's School Road is amazingly good. I'll definitely try to pick this one up when it hits stores; thanks YenPress, I was wondering if/when this was going to be licensed.

It obviously isn't mangaka Tadataka Kawasaki's first manga, and they demonstrate a really strong grasp of several aspects of sequential art (perhaps most importantly, it's a comedy manga that's actually funny). And with an anime coming this summer, maybe people will actually notice it!
Kaiteki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I already have 18 volumes from fan translations
of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.
So Yen Press is a patient troll and I stand by my words
Kaiteki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Look,, I admit occasionally Yen Press will follow thru.
after all I bought the 10th anniversary tome of Spice and Wolf
for 135 US dollars , and I am following Wolf and Parchment .
But as US consumers of Japanese light novels, Yen Press
is largely a patient troll.
Kaiteki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Kaiteki wrote:
Just because Yen Press acquires a license does not mean they will actually
publish anything. They hold license to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and
have published just 3 of the 25 volumes. And that is just one example.

Stop spreading misinformation. Volume 7 just came out on Tuesday -- I've got a copy sitting next to me. They've been releasing a volume every three to four months steadily for two years now. Yen has never dropped an LN series, even ones that flopped.

7 of 25 ? How is that good? I have 18 of fan translated.
Anthony Gray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Kaiteki wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Kaiteki wrote:

Stop spreading misinformation. Volume 7 just came out on Tuesday -- I've got a copy sitting next to me. They've been releasing a volume every three to four months steadily for two years now. Yen has never dropped an LN series, even ones that flopped.

You sound ridiculous. How is this a negative on Yenpress's part? Every licensed company works at the pace Utsuro no Hako mentioned. It's literally more or less the same pace you see in the release of the series in Japan, being 2-3(mainly 3) volumes a year. Being licensed 5 years after it was first released in another country is the reason its so behind, if that wasn't evident enough. What, are they suppose to work at a break neck speed to get you what you want?

I suggest you either learn Japanese and import your copies from Japan, or help with the translating process. I know you won't tho, seeing that you would rather bitch about how others aren't working hard enough on a forum. Just wanted to give you some food for thought.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
Kaiteki wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Kaiteki wrote:

You know nothing John Snow. Stop trolling.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kaiteki wrote:

It's good because the author gets money when you buy from Yen, but not when you buy a fan translation.

There are limits to how fast a book can be translated, edited and printed. J Novel Club can mange six volumes of a series each year by skipping the print part, which is one of the biggest hold-ups (print runs have to be scheduled months in advance). But a company that's releasinfpg dead tree editions won't top Yen's speed. Whining because a fan translator is able to post an unedited mess in less time is stupid.
Anthony Gray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Kaiteki wrote:

It's good because the author gets money when you buy from Yen, but not when you buy a fan translation.

There are limits to how fast a book can be translated, edited and printed. J Novel Club can mange six volumes of a series each year by skipping the print part, which is one of the biggest hold-ups (print runs have to be scheduled months in advance). But a company that's releasinfpg dead tree editions won't top Yen's speed. Whining because a fan translator is able to post an unedited mess in less time is stupid.

You just earned all the win able for this thread. Fine show, good sir, might fine show!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2