• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Aura Battler Dunbine Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Despite a really lousy later third episodes, Dunbine is still leagues ahead of its infamous spinoff.

Because unlike Garzey's Wing, Dunbine has giant robots.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Hopefully with new subs.

The ADV subs that the series originally had are awful.

THANK YOU. I've always found those subs to be borderline indecipherable. And the less said about the dub the better.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What are you talking about? Zeta Gundam was feminist in its time. A weird Tomino kind of feminism, sure, but it addressed women's expanding roles in combat.

Also, the best mecha series of all time, with wonderfully complex, intertwining storylines, complex and developing characters, and unique, interesting mechanical designs. Great soundtrack, solid voice acting, and an unforgettable climax.

As for Dunbine... I'm not patronizing Sentai Filmworks after that insulting LoGH price tag. I'm assuming they won't be charging and arm and a leg for this, though.

Repeating killing them off (often in the exact same manner as Lalah) for male angst is "expanding roles in combat?" But then I'd expect nothing else other than cult-like devotion about how it's a "flawless masterpiece" from you, you predictable clockwork penguin.

But let's get back to Dunbine...
Radrappy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Repeating killing them off (often in the exact same manner as Lalah) for male angst is "expanding roles in combat?" But then I'd expect nothing else other than cult-like devotion about how it's a "flawless masterpiece" from you, you predictable clockwork penguin.

But let's get back to Dunbine...

I don't disagree with you about some muddled character motivations but I'm not sure I would ever call Dunbine sexist? The women have a lot of agency save for Drake's daughter but even she eventually grows out of it. If anything Dunbine is full of pretty dynamic and interesting women. Marvel, Ciela, and Jeryll are all pretty well developed.

I'm not arguing it's a great show, I would say it's only above average. However it has some pretty huge contributions aesthetically and tonally that would go on to give us shows like Escaflowne and Rayearth.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

I'll repeat what I wrote about it from an earlier thread:
Quote:
Most of the protagonist cast is unlikable in a petty not interesting way. The Titans are boring, one-dimensional antagonists (Jerid aside and he gets wasted in the end) who aren't even fun in a cackling supervillain way with no real plan beyond committing as many war crimes as possible which will somehow beat the AEUG. It's pacing drags terribly. It's mecha battles are a monotonous blur. It has nothing really intelligent or insightful to say about war or humanity that other Gundams don't do better. It's tragedies are hollow and contrived. And it is above of all, deeply sexist. (Only Victory and Age are worse then it on that.)

But then again, I think Gundam Wing and Seed and 00 are legitimately good and better written than most of the UC Gundam series and that G Gundam is the best entry in the franchise which is tantamount to religious heresy in the fandom.

Looks like we may not see eye to eye from the looks of thing then haha, we have very different opinions it would seem. There's some validity to arguing the Titans are a bit one-dimensional, though at least their authoritarian stubbornness is attributed to the fallout of 0079 and 0083. I didn't see a problem with the pacing, but agree about the battles, way too constant and fleeting in purpose due to or at least seeming that way because of the lack of strategy that 0079 had. Probably agree that it feels slight compared to some of the others and the tragedies don't feel such, especially compared to Victory in my eyes, though yeah, don't feel it's quite as sexist as others say personally.

But the real takeaway here is you finding Wing, Seed and 00 better than most UC; I can tolerate Wing, and Endless Waltz is alright though they still pale to most UC for me, but Seed and 00...oof. If it was at least X I'd be happier, but oh well, to each their own lol. I guess I haven't become too involved with the Gundam fandom at large, though I can see the issue with finding G best; don't get me wrong, G is one of the better AUs almost up there with X, but someone saying it's the best one makes it seem like someone isn't really into what Gundam at large is anyways and is a fan of super robot stuff in general moreso, but again, who am I to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Will it actually get fully released this time? Laughing

Dunbine DID get fully released, though. It's just that the last two volumes are apparently really expensive. I guess that I got lucky that I was able to buy them at list price when they were released!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
After having only vol 1-10 for quite some time, it’s nice to see that I’ll finally be able to own the entire series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3