• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm getting flashbacks of my childhood when I saw the phantom menace. Came expecting space battles, get political debates instead. I'm wondering if this series is going to end with the next major war just about to start,but we never actually see any of it.

Politics/political philosophy is a huge part of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and always has been. Drop the show if this is a problem.

I really love the High Council debate in this part of the story. It's still really politically relevant today. Often you see the government will use the military as political capital, or the military will endorse bad plans out of zeal of glory. Even the supposed good actors among the government body of the FPA are mostly just objecting economically, not from a humanitarian perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm getting flashbacks of my childhood when I saw the phantom menace. Came expecting space battles, get political debates instead. I'm wondering if this series is going to end with the next major war just about to start,but we never actually see any of it.

at least its not as confusing as in crest of the stars which was a very good series in its own right, but was limited considering that it was based off of the sekai trilogy light novels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10,

I think they're laying it on a bit thick as far as how ignorant to make the side characters in this series. For example Falk, whose plan is to "Invade the empire, their armies will probably run away and the people will probably join up in revolt to help us and we will win because we fight for Justice." If you had told that plan to me when I was twelve and playing civilization 2 I would have told you it was a dumb idea. The other officers saying things like "Count Lohengramm may have almost completely destroyed us in his first major engagement with us, but we're sure he'll make a mistake this time so we'll definitely beat him." is just face palm worthy.

I get that the side characters are supposed to be incompetent compared to the main characters but when they are so unbelievably stupid I can't take the situation seriously. At this point it wouldn't surprised me if they win the next space battle because the enemy commander flew his fleet into a black hole because "it would be the perfect place to hide" or something.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
If you've read some of the books on how the IJN and IJA planned some of their more....grandiose operations, you can see similar hubris and strategic blinders (especially in terms of disregard of logistics, in some cases lack of overall strategic focus, and extremely overzealous junior/junior staff officers). Given the author of the source materials familiarity with the subject and penchant for ancient Chinese history, it's not entirely unrealistic. Falls under the trope "Reality is Unrealistic."
Manami-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 10,

I think they're laying it on a bit thick as far as how ignorant to make the side characters in this series

[...]

The thing is, there have been many similarly incompetent politicians and soldiers throughout history. The events of the Allied invasion of the Empire are based directly upon historical parallels like the French or German invasions of Russia. The whole of LotGH is a big historical analogy and most things in it are based on one or more real life events.

Fork was actually much smarter and more competent sounding here than he was in the OVA. He’s still totally punchable though due to his arrogance and that Kamiya VA (what a casting decision! I like it though).

——

Re: the last couple reviews, there’s complaints that the show is too dry and slow, but isn’t that what LotGH is all about? The last few episodes have had little action but plenty of politics, military strategy and character building. Eps 9 and 10 have been as LotGH as you can get.

I’m glad Prod IG decided to keep a slow and methodical pace, not cutting anything important from the novel. There must have been the temptation to go faster to get to the big bombastic space battles (like eps 1-2, 7, and likely next week), but instead they choose to stay faithful to the source. In any case, there’ll be plenty of action and drama next week.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Manami-san wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 10,

I think they're laying it on a bit thick as far as how ignorant to make the side characters in this series

[...]

The thing is, there have been many similarly incompetent politicians and soldiers throughout history. The events of the Allied invasion of the Empire are based directly upon historical parallels like the French or German invasions of Russia. The whole of LotGH is a big historical analogy and most things in it are based on one or more real life events.

Fork was actually much smarter and more competent sounding here than he was in the OVA. He’s still totally punchable though due to his arrogance and that Kamiya VA (what a casting decision! I like it though).

I'd like to echo and add to this a little. I've seen this sort of criticism directed against this show often that some of the side characters are incompetent and therefore unbelievable. Not to put too fine a point on this but that kind of criticism is missing the mark completely imo. They are 100% believable exactly because theyre not all clever master strategists. History is littered with exactly the kind of rash, stupid or downright absurd assumptions about how a strategy might play out. And it usually ends in blodshed. This episode highlights this at various points so much so that they might as well be verbatim quotes from history books. Supply problems get heavily underestimated, the own force, its motivation heavily overestimated etc., it is all there in our history. Just one example from this episode: Falk talks about how the citizens of the empire will be happy that theyre free of the empire and Yang doubts that very much. The exact same thing was assumed not 15 years ago when the US invaded Iraq ("they'll greet us as liberators") and everyone knows how that turned out. So I'm baffled how viewers can say the incompetence portrayed here is unrealistic. Exactly this is happening over and over throughtout our history up to the wars that are raging right now. How can it be any more realistic?

The only way this criticism is somewhat reasonable to me is that a story about someone superior handily defeating incompetents is less than compelling. But a) thats not how it is here, b) that is not what this story is about and c) i dont agree with the premise. Thats like saying the life of Alexander the Great or Dschingis Khan is any less compelling because they hardly lost any battles and were giants of their time. The opposite is true to my mind. Add to this story being very relative in its outlook and this is one of the best stories told in Anime, at least to me
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I find episodes like episode 10 to be the more interesting ones to watch, which probably makes me strange.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BVerfG wrote:
Manami-san wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 10,

[...]

I'd like to echo and add to this a little. I've seen this sort of criticism directed against this show often that some of the side characters are incompetent and therefore unbelievable. Not to put too fine a point on this but that kind of criticism is missing the mark completely imo. They are 100% believable exactly because theyre not all clever master strategists. History is littered with exactly the kind of rash, stupid or downright absurd assumptions about how a strategy might play out. And it usually ends in blodshed. This episode highlights this at various points so much so that they might as well be verbatim quotes from history books. Supply problems get heavily underestimated, the own force, its motivation heavily overestimated etc., it is all there in our history. Just one example from this episode: Falk talks about how the citizens of the empire will be happy that theyre free of the empire and Yang doubts that very much. The exact same thing was assumed not 15 years ago when the US invaded Iraq ("they'll greet us as liberators") and everyone knows how that turned out. So I'm baffled how viewers can say the incompetence portrayed here is unrealistic. Exactly this is happening over and over throughtout our history up to the wars that are raging right now. How can it be any more realistic?

The only way this criticism is somewhat reasonable to me is that a story about someone superior handily defeating incompetents is less than compelling. But a) thats not how it is here, b) that is not what this story is about and c) i dont agree with the premise. Thats like saying the life of Alexander the Great or Dschingis Khan is any less compelling because they hardly lost any battles and were giants of their time. The opposite is true to my mind. Add to this story being very relative in its outlook and this is one of the best stories told in Anime, at least to me

Granted, there were some incompetent commanders in military history. However, what many viewers find unrealistic (myself included) is how the majority of commanders in this show are idiots, which is not the case in real life. The deuteragonists only seem to be smart by comparison, because on their own merits, their strategies usually just follow basic military tactics and are not particularly impressive.

Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoy this show (even the dialogue-heavy segments) and watch a new episode as soon as it comes out.

Christopher Farris wrote:

And the episode does throw out some interesting tones of Reinhard seemingly underestimating himself even in the face of Yang's negativity.
[...]

I may have missed something here, but Reinhard came off as confident to me, declaring that he would destroy the invasion force.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11,

SERIOUSLY?! They have to do whatever that moron Falk says because he may have a mental breakdown when someone calls him out on his bullshit. They're going to let the fate 30 million men ride on that?! And the supreme commander is too busy napping to pay attention to the forces he's responsible for?!

Building on my previous criticisms of incompetence, I wouldn't mind it if there was only one or two reoccurring characters that were incompetent. A good example of this would be Iok Kujan from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron blood orphans. The guy is an idiot who is constantly rushing into battle over and over again and almost always getting his followers killed, only to swear to avenge them and repeat the process over again. However, he was one of the only characters like that in the series, and even the people he worked with knew how bad he was.

In this series, almost every other character aside from the main cast is an incompetent dolt. Most of them end up getting killed off in some way due to their own actions but then a bunch of replacements show up out of the woodwork. It doesn't even feel like Yang is fighting against the Imperials but basically just trying to keep the fleet from falling apart due to the actions of their higher ups. They haven't fired a shot and are already dealing with riots from the planets they've taken and are practically having to mutiny to avoid having their men starve.

At this point I'm actually cheering the Imperials on simply because they actually have someone smart calling the shots and actually have an effective strategy in place for waging this war. Hell, even the imperial bureaucrats in charge who don't like Reinhard at least recognize that he's a brilliant commander so they keep him in command. Granted, his plan was obvious enough that even the idiots on the other side recognized it but in all their wisdom decided to continue to walk right into it because "honor, glory, stupidity".
KML777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 11,

SERIOUSLY?! They have to do whatever that moron Falk says because he may have a mental breakdown when someone calls him out on his bullshit. They're going to let the fate 30 million men ride on that?! And the supreme commander is too busy napping to pay attention to the forces he's responsible for?!

Building on my previous criticisms of incompetence, I wouldn't mind it if there was only one or two reoccurring characters that were incompetent. A good example of this would be Iok Kujan from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron blood orphans. The guy is an idiot who is constantly rushing into battle over and over again and almost always getting his followers killed, only to swear to avenge them and repeat the process over again. However, he was one of the only characters like that in the series, and even the people he worked with knew how bad he was.

In this series, almost every other character aside from the main cast is an incompetent dolt. Most of them end up getting killed off in some way due to their own actions but then a bunch of replacements show up out of the woodwork. It doesn't even feel like Yang is fighting against the Imperials but basically just trying to keep the fleet from falling apart due to the actions of their higher ups. They haven't fired a shot and are already dealing with riots from the planets they've taken and are practically having to mutiny to avoid having their men starve.

At this point I'm actually cheering the Imperials on simply because they actually have someone smart calling the shots and actually have an effective strategy in place for waging this war. Hell, even the imperial bureaucrats in charge who don't like Reinhard at least recognize that he's a brilliant commander so they keep him in command. Granted, his plan was obvious enough that even the idiots on the other side recognized it but in all their wisdom decided to continue to walk right into it because "honor, glory, stupidity".

Don't worry, this is playing out exactly like the OVA did. Both Falk and the supreme commander are incompetent tools that would pay the price later, along with the politicians vouching for war. It was unfortunate that this war would also claim the lives of many Alliance commanders who were actually competent, but died pointlessly because of these stupid decisions and the fact that the chain of command wouldn't allow them do disobey orders. And also, this would cause Truniht to have more power, which is bad news for Yang.
Oh, and don't side with the Imperials very soon. A group of people, equally as moronic as the Alliance's pro war faction, will rise up against Reinhard later on, which plunges the Imperium into spoiler[A Civil War which Reinhard won, but it would cost him in a very, very big way.]
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:12 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 11,

SERIOUSLY?! They have to do whatever that moron Falk says because he may have a mental breakdown when someone calls him out on his bullshit. They're going to let the fate 30 million men ride on that?!

Note that nobody actually considers doing that — a physician says defying him may trigger a relapse so they immediately relieve him of command.

Quote:
And the supreme commander is too busy napping to pay attention to the forces he's responsible for?!

This is partly just Falk playing gatekeeper, but the same situation has played out in real life (e.g. Hitler).

Quote:
It doesn't even feel like Yang is fighting against the Imperials but basically just trying to keep the fleet from falling apart due to the actions of their higher ups.

Can’t remember if it was in the series, but the book pretty-much explicitly states this.

Quote:
At this point I'm actually cheering the Imperials on simply because they actually have someone smart calling the shots and actually have an effective strategy in place for waging this war.

Indeed. Advantages vs. dangers of competent dictatorship is a major theme.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12,

Alliance gets absolutely thrashed, not that it's really surprising, considering how screwed up the alliance high command is.
"We don't know how many ships we have left as the enemy just crushed a bunch of our fleets, we're probably outnumbered, not to mention still short on supplies since the supply convoy was destroyed. But we'll gather up the remains and attack them and I'm sure it will work out." - Overall fleet commander.

By the way, how do fleets keep on sneaking up on each other? I got the convoy was ambushed because the enemy warped in on them, but what about the 7th fleet that appeared at the end. It's like radar can't detect anyone until they are already shooting at you, not even Yang knew they were there and they were his allies.

Has there been a season 2 announced? did a brief google search and didn't see one. Feels like a dick move to end the anime just as the actual war is getting started.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
@#844391

This is the end of volume 1 of the novel and the end of active fighting for awhile. Once Yang gets the remnants of the Alliance back to their own territory the shooting war goes on intermission. Both sides become involved with "internal" affairs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@#844391

This is the end of volume 1 of the novel and the end of active fighting for awhile. Once Yang gets the remnants of the Alliance back to their own territory the shooting war goes on intermission. Both sides become involved with "internal" affairs.

Well, the problem is, this isn't even the end of the first book. It's a couple of chapters away from the end of the first book. They couldn't even get the full book in 12 episodes.

Though I personally found this "finale" to be the best episode thus far and am interested in seeing when they cover more of the novels in follow-ups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth

They probably wanted to save the last couple of chapters for the OAV to be included with the home release. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5