• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
USITC Launches Investigation Into Nintendo After Patent Infringement Complaint

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
They are also asking for the complete removal of the Switch from the U.S. market, which... I mean, think about it. If that actually happened, that would make pretty dark gaming history.

It never would happen. The end goal is to get Nintendo to settle for money.
I suppose the outcome will depend on how far either party is willing to push their luck. There's a chance that GameVice stands to lose a lot if they press too hard. I can't imagine the legal fees. I honestly had never heard of GameVice until last year when they initially filed against Nintendo, let alone their product. It mustn't be terribly popular, so it's hard to say how much money they actually have and could afford to spend without going under. Though that may be the whole point of this case, to try and extort as much money out of Nintendo as they can.

On the other hand, Nintendo has a massive war chest. They could easily draw out the process and force GameVice to drop the case due to lack of funds to pay their lawyers. Nintendo could also settle for no other reason than to just get GameVice to go away, and not even feel the loss. Alternatively, however, they could fight it tooth and nail and try to get the case thrown out. But that will likely only happen if they're 100% confident they can win.

In the end though, the Switch will likely never be banned no matter how the case turns out.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
The respective Wikipedia entries for "copyright troll", "patent troll", "trademark troll" gives a good basic explanation for each.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Patent trolls never actually do anything with their patent. Gamevice created an actual product. It's not a patent troll. Just looking to get some settlement money for a rather vague-sounding patent. Very similar to Apple's "rounded corners" patent that it legally enforces for the shape of a smartphone.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Gamevice to show how Nintendo have copied their controllers. When Gamevice show the court their controller with HD rumble, IR sensor, NFC reader etc they are sure to w...oh wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2