• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Etten no Sora Manga Artist Blames Hobby Japan, 'Human Rights' for [New Life+] Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
wintersun wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:
I honestly wonder how many of the people here decrying 'free speech' are actual adults with jobs. Because it honestly seems like they can't grasp how you can be held accountable for a lot of your works.

Personal example, I work in the film industry, I am a visual effects artist, I've worked on a range of feature films and TV shows even if I'm really mostly a 'faceless monkey who only even gets their name in the credits half the time'. I'm still not stupid enough to say anything BAD about any western film or television production, even if I didn't work on it. I'm an adult and I live in a world of adult consequenes. If I tweet '@FICTIONALDIRECTOR'S LAST SERIES LITERALLY COMMITTED A RAPE AGAINST MY TELEVISION'S LCD PANEL. HE IS WORTHLESS' and I find my employer contracted to that director's latest production I risk that person going 'Wait, does this miserable shit work for your company that we are paying a lot of money to?' and now face a serious threat to my employment caused only to my own stupidity. And again, I'm a faceless drone in this industry, not someone who's name is going to be on the cover of books or in the title credits to an anime series.

There is speak that can be protected. I would have legal protections if I called out my employer for labor violations or the like, but basically 'being a screamy edgelord who threatened the company's profits' is not protected. In employment or business you act accordingly in ANY public venue. Welcome to adulthood.

I am not young but if these tweets were at his home and not at work and was not physically harming people he should not be fired.

it is that easy to understand or not.

Nah,nowadays the boss will ask your social media and watch it. If you post/retweet a little bit trouble you'll get trouble regardless whether you made the post at work or outside. Privacy be damned.

I don't approve racism and hate speech but while in MINE's case it's justified (as in he actually guilty). This kind of thing can easily used wrongly like against more innocent people, like Nardack's case. This is what the mangaka feared.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
The comments of @SonmiChina on Twitter was in Japanese and most of the reply were in Japanese so most people involved were probably inside Japan. As a matter of fact from what i see i didn't even find one comment in Chinese so far. @SonmiChina account also disappear from Twitter. Maybe this can be something inside Japan. This is more that just a Chinese person taking issue with the anime.

Chinese people be upset is not enough to end a anime/manga/LN. Also something that made voice actors boycotting a anime is something that only Japanese fans can do, after all Japanese are the ones that see them as idols.

Pretty sure that was their agency that decided that, not the actors themselves. Also Chinese people live in Japan and can speak Japanese. Just saying.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Samaatha Bee simply called Ivanka Trump the C-word out of justified anger

"Justified anger"? Why does that sound like a wishy washy double standard excuse. I thought gendered insults were abhorrent. So if someone has "justified anger" against blacks then slurs are fair game? Something tells me that won't work.

It's fair to admit we have double standards in society with things like this. Insulting religion is popular and fine as long as it's Christianity, if it's Muslim people then it's Islamiphobic. Fat/body shaming is vile and toxic when done to actors or models, but if it's a certain President then it's ok to mock them being old and out of shape. Cultural appropriation is bad, but if you say non-Asian people shouldn't dress as anime characters, it's racist. It's human nature to be hypocritical. It's fine for us to admit it. It's the first step towards changing a problem.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Japanese titles banned from distribution in China, online or in print.

Terror in Resonance
Blood-C
Highschool of the Dead
Ergo Proxy
Parasyte
The Skull Man
Another
Inferno Cop
Afro Samurai
Tokyo Ghoul
Sword Art Online
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ravens
Devil May Cry
RIN - Daughters of Mnemosyne
The Testament of Sister New Devil
Attack on Titan
Corpse Party
Strike the Blood
Death Note
Deadman Wonderland
Date A Live
Psycho-Pass
Devilman Lady
School Days
Those Who Hunt Elves
Elfen Lied
High School DxD
Samurai Bride
So, I Can't Play H!
Girls Bravo
Kanokon
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Sakura Diaries
Black Butler
Claymore
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Assassination Classroom

A number of those shows espouse political positions that the Chinese government see as threatening, particularly those that pit individual actors against institutions and governments. I suspect that is one reason why shows like Terror in Resonance, Ergo Proxy, Psycho-Pass, and maybe even shows like Claymore, Vampire Bund, and Parasyte qualified.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Years ago ANN was up in arms about Terra Formars being racist because people thought the cockroaches were racist caricatures of black people. Nothing came out of it because Japan doesn't care if it offends Americans, or more specifically, blacks.

The otherwise inoffensive Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") was full of ethnic caricatures, but the worst example was based on the 4-koma parts of the manga where Hibito and his fellow astronauts are depicted as animals. The African-American character was portrayed as an ape named "Buddy Gorilla."

Westerners reacted with dismay; I don't think the Japanese understood why.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It's rather hypocritical of the Chinese to cause a flame war over an LN and its author when the PRC media are guilty of exactly the same thing, and in much larger volumes:
Patriotic comedies? Japanese author compiles an encyclopaedia of Chinese anti-Japan dramas

But I guess white knights get offended only when THEY are on the receiving end?
Zapdos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
The comments of @SonmiChina on Twitter was in Japanese and most of the reply were in Japanese so most people involved were probably inside Japan. As a matter of fact from what i see i didn't even find one comment in Chinese so far. @SonmiChina account also disappear from Twitter. Maybe this can be something inside Japan. This is more that just a Chinese person taking issue with the anime.

Chinese people be upset is not enough to end a anime/manga/LN. Also something that made voice actors boycotting a anime is something that only Japanese fans can do, after all Japanese are the ones that see them as idols.

Pretty sure that was their agency that decided that, not the actors themselves. Also Chinese people live in Japan and can speak Japanese. Just saying.

And agency ask voice actors to boycott because of Japanese fan which I think is the point Jonny try to make. Even if there are Chinese in twitter it still won't be enough to cancel the anime. It's all entirely by the Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6