• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
8-4 Company Will Not Handle Localization of Fire Emblem Three Houses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Treehouse then? Ho boy..
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Awakening and Echoes are usually considered better translations but I don't mind the Fates translations as much as other people.

Stuff always gets changed in Fire Emblem Translations so I usually don't care all that much.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess that will be one to import, then. Thank goodness the Switch is region free.

I prefer the English writing for some characters in Awakening and Echoes to the original Japanese script. The English version of Fates, on the other hand, pissed off Japanese-speaking lesbians I know so much that they refused to buy it, so I followed suit and won't be taking my chances on another effort from the same team.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Having only played Fire Emblem Heroes (but have heard of all the fan outcry about Fates' story and localization), I'm a bit more wary of this now. We'll have to see how things go when it gets released.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I guess that will be one to import, then. Thank goodness the Switch is region free.

I prefer the English writing for some characters in Awakening and Echoes to the original Japanese script. The English version of Fates, on the other hand, pissed off Japanese-speaking lesbians I know so much that they refused to buy it, so I followed suit and won't be taking my chances on another effort from the same team.

Unfortunately, people like me can’t play the game without a localization, so I may as well just skip it.

And I’m not quite as mad about script changes, as localization tends to happen to most things of this nature in some way, shape, or form. As long as the original feeling of the script is kept mostly intact, I’ll be happy. My problem, though, is that Nintendo Treehouse have cut entire sections of content from their games if it doesn’t align with their image. Most will agree that the “petting” minigame wasn’t integral to the FE: Fates experience, but the fact that it was just entirely cut out of the game in all other regions did NOT sit well with others.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:

I prefer the English writing for some characters in Awakening and Echoes to the original Japanese script. The English version of Fates, on the other hand, pissed off Japanese-speaking lesbians

I don't recall the Japanese fanbase being upset with Corrin and Soliei's S- support hence why said support was tweaked in the English version.

OtherSideofSky wrote:

I know so much that they refused to buy it,

You had people who refused to buy Fates for a variety of reasons the above issue wasn't really one of them.

kyokun47 wrote:
Most will agree that the “petting” minigame wasn’t integral to the FE: Fates experience, but the fact that it was just entirely cut out of the game in all other regions did NOT sit well with others.

By the same token a minigame that centered around touching random people's faces, blowing on them (and kissing them), some of whom were under the age of 18 didn't sit well with others either.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I don't recall the Japanese fanbase being upset with Corrin and Soliei's S- support hence why said support was tweaked in the English version.

I believe what they might be referring to is changes to the Rhajat's support and character. The English version cut out the unique supports she had with a female avataer, replacing them instead with those she had with a male avatar, for some reason. So she could still marry a woman, but the unique and somewhat interesting parts of her interaction was gone.

In addition, I've heard that her entire character was changed some in the English version, being more creepy and closer to her inspriation Tharja, while she was substantially less so in the Japanese version. Can't confirm this one myself, but I could definitely see that being annoying.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
This is fine. People exaggerate at how bad Fates' script was (most of the badness can be traced back to the original Japanese script), and the only real problem there was was the accidental removal of one support between two minor characters that's only possible in the third game. I'm honestly glad the petting minigame was removed because I cannot imagine how tedious it would get to do that minigame every single time to grind out a couple of support points.

Of course, some of the "fanbase" is already overreacting, and I expect they'll scour the script for any typos or differences from the Japanese version and blame it on a woman who had nothing to do with it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
referring to is changes to the Rhajat's support and character. The English version cut out the unique supports she had with a female avataer, replacing them instead with those she had with a male avatar, for some reason. So she could still marry a woman, but the unique and somewhat interesting parts of her interaction was gone.

In addition, I've heard that her entire character was changed some in the English version, being more creepy and closer to her inspriation Tharja, while she was substantially less so in the Japanese version. Can't confirm this one myself, but I could definitely see that being annoying.

Ohhhhhhhhh now I understand the English versions S supports were weird even Niles S-support with Male Corrin came off weird due to fact it didn't come off the least bit romantic.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
This is fine. People exaggerate at how bad Fates' script was (most of the badness can be traced back to the original Japanese script), and the only real problem there was was the accidental removal of one support between two minor characters that's only possible in the third game.

As someone who imported If when it came out and then saw the American version via YouTube videos, I'd have to disagree. It was quite changed. If you don't find the changes bad then that is your opinion, but we shouldn't pretend as if the changes weren't numerous

I think people are fair to be wary given the series' handling in the west. Putting fanbase in quotations as if someone is a lesser fan for preferring uncensored content seems really juvenile, though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, the fanbase will find SOMETHING to complain about in the translation and then harass the localization team over. Yech. This is why despite being a fan of the series I keep the fandom at arm's length
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
2018: The year Japanese companies just shoot themselves in the foot. If New Gundam Breaker being a janky trashfire wasn't bad enough, people who can't or want to import have to deal with more unnecessary FE censorship.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Treehouse went through a huge restructuring since Fates, so it might be better this time around.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE have Dual Audio. We don't need a repeat of the horrendous Effie and Camilla butchering
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
PLEASE have Dual Audio. We don't need a repeat of the horrendous Effie and Camilla butchering

I'd like that too but that's not up to the localisation team, and Nintendo's track record isn't great for dual audio......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2