• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10,

The buildup episode, nothing much to talk about. Next few episodes are going to be fun though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I do find it a bit curious that none of the adventurers are getting involved, however, as in RPGs major skirmishes are traditionally a great time to make money.

Adventurers do not take part in wars between nations, they are a neutral group. Given how adventurers are, on average, much stronger than the average soldier, every country would be pressuring them to be on the front lines in battles, most likely fighting other adventurers as a result. So the adventurer guild forbids adventurers from taking part in conflicts between countries. Marquis Raeven does have some former high ranking adventurers working for him, former being the key word as they now only work for him and wouldn't be able to take on missions from the guild.
xzy123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Quote:
I do find it a bit curious that none of the adventurers are getting involved, however, as in RPGs major skirmishes are traditionally a great time to make money.

Adventurers do not take part in wars between nations, they are a neutral group. Given how adventurers are, on average, much stronger than the average soldier, every country would be pressuring them to be on the front lines in battles, most likely fighting other adventurers as a result. So the adventurer guild forbids adventurers from taking part in conflicts between countries. Marquis Raeven does have some former high ranking adventurers working for him, former being the key word as they now only work for him and wouldn't be able to take on missions from the guild.

I was wondering if worker will take part of war
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
If the workers are going to be paid, I am sure they would sign on.

I am sure banditry, kidnapping, and other crimes are side lines for workers, when they are not being paid for legal work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11,

Sadly, this epic battle was brought down by obvious CGI. We didn't even really see the goblin army fighting, just them marching and then empire Soldiers being killed by arrows, explosions etc. I was looking forward to this too Sad

I'm hoping they were conserving their budget for the climax, come on Madhouse. Imagine if these action scenes had the same level of detail and animation as One Punch Man, it would be amazing.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 11,

Sadly, this epic battle was brought down by obvious CGI. We didn't even really see the goblin army fighting, just them marching and then empire Soldiers being killed by arrows, explosions etc. I was looking forward to this too Sad

I'm hoping they were conserving their budget for the climax, come on Madhouse. Imagine if these action scenes had the same level of detail and animation as One Punch Man, it would be amazing.

Given up on my theories that all the corner cutting & penny pinching were leading to quality animation for this arc...But the signs throughout this season point only towards budget saving CGI period.

And once again they toned down Overlord's darkside....Lupus is indeed almost as good as Solution/"Solly",the prince spent a long time in dying.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
So it seems like ANN didn't fix the wrong episode number from last week so now there are two episode 11 reviews. It seems like those two episode 11 reviews now share the same rating. It doesn't really matter now, it was just weird to see that I had already rated the episode when I opened up the review for the first time.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So it seems like ANN didn't fix the wrong episode number from last week so now there are two episode 11 reviews. It seems like those two episode 11 reviews now share the same rating. It doesn't really matter now, it was just weird to see that I had already rated the episode when I opened up the review for the first time.

Sorry about that, the error has been fixed now, should be two separate ratings.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
And once again they toned down Overlord's darkside....

Hardly unusual, though. Even anime which airs in the overnight time slots so frequently tone down content in the source material that a title not doing that would stick out. Some stuff which plays fine in print just doesn't when put to visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So... no rating for this week's ep?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Another enjoyable episode, but I hope they do something about the CG for the BD release (though I'm not expecting anything)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ep 12,

Ah, if one episode deserved One Punch Man levels of animation, it was probably this one. But bad CGI wins the day. Also, maybe it was just me, but in the scene at the very start of the episode where it zooms in on Ainz just before the opening song, he sort of vibrates on the screen? I don't even know if that was on purpose or just rushed animation, but it was pretty jarring to me.

They also completely skipped the soul eaters, undead skeletal cavalry (and only 3 of them wiped out a a city of hundreds of thousands in this world's past). They were the army ainz brought with him in the novels, and they were what initially got Marquise Reven to call the retreat because his former adventurer bodyguards were able to identify them.

And, an additional trivia item: The spell he used to kill the 70,000 men, it summons a number of dark young depending on how many are sacrificed when it is cast, up to a maximum of 5. Since battles in the game Yggdrasil were between mainly players (and maybe some NPC's) they were usually only dozens or a couple hundred of them fighting at once, which is why there were usually never more than 1 or 2 dark young summoned at a time, and the spell was considered more flashy than practical since most high level players were strong enough to defend against it. Thus Ainz saying he had made a new record by summoning 5 due to the massive casualties it was able to inflict in this battle.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
ep 12,

Ah, if one episode deserved One Punch Man levels of animation, it was probably this one. But bad CGI wins the day. Also, maybe it was just me, but in the scene at the very start of the episode where it zooms in on Ainz just before the opening song, he sort of vibrates on the screen? I don't even know if that was on purpose or just rushed animation, but it was pretty jarring to me.

Ok CG attacking poor CG across an horrible CG battleground,coupled with a meh adaptation of the chapter.....Once upon a time I also felt they were going the splurge and do justice to this,Overlord's most iconic scene.

They perhaps should have delayed the episode even further...

Episode 13 will either be stretched out beyond reason or we'll get a bit of volume 10.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's exactly what we get when Ains drops a spell which almost instantly kills off tens of thousands of Kingdom troops, and then for a kicker uses their “sacrifice” to summon these massive, Cthulhu-esque masses of mouths (what we've been seeing all season in the opener) that sprout tentacles and immense hooves and bay like goats; in fact, Ains even refers to them as such.

The spell he used was Shub-Niggurath, who is a Lovecraftian deity known as "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young."
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
The spell he used was Shub-Niggurath, who is a Lovecraftian deity known as "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young."

Yeah, I should have caught that. I knew the name of the spell was Lovecratian but didn't check the reference right away and forgot about it. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13