• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokémon the Movie: Everyone's Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
As for the overall U.S dub of the Pokémon anime being worst off then it was with 4kids after watching the video you recommended me to watch this morning. I am just getting the impression that both dubs are not that great. However watching the video it made me realize or reminded me of how much heart 4kids put into to handling the Pokémon anime as appose to The Pokémon Company International, which is odd for me that a company that is name and focus on the Pokémon franchise that they would seem to be putting less effort then 4kids ever did. It kind of feels like they do not seem to have as much faith in the franchise as 4kids did.

The best description would be 4Kids treated it's dub like a cartoon, where a TPCI treats it as an anime dub, one for kids at least. 4Kids would take various liberties with the script, putting in fourth-wall breaks and American pop culture references, which obviously TPCI wouldn't do. They did crossover promos with other stuff during the KidsWB bumpers, they did those cringy "Stars of 4Kids Sings the National Anthem" for the 4th of July which again, no professional dubbing company would do these days. TPCI is more professional. To some people, that means more 'boring'. I'm sure there are people nostalgic for Britney Spears, Aaron Carter, and N'Sync popsongs in the dub for Mewtwo Strikes Back, despite them being horribly out of place and the practice being wildly unacceptable for a anime dub to do something like that.

4Kids was never in the anime business, they were in the cartoon business. TPCI treats its dub as an anime dub, even if it still tries to stamp out everything Japanese-y about it and sterilizes it for kids. I think both dubs are terrible and watch the JP version, but they're both bad for different reasons. TPCI's dub is neutered, but the 4Kids dub was dumb and unprofessional.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

The best description would be 4Kids treated it's dub like a cartoon, where a TPCI treats it as an anime dub, one for kids at least. 4Kids would take various liberties with the script, putting in fourth-wall breaks and American pop culture references, which obviously TPCI wouldn't do. They did crossover promos with other stuff during the KidsWB bumpers, they did those cringy "Stars of 4Kids Sings the National Anthem" for the 4th of July which again, no professional dubbing company would do these days. TPCI is more professional. To some people, that means more 'boring'. I'm sure there are people nostalgic for Britney Spears, Aaron Carter, and N'Sync popsongs in the dub for Mewtwo Strikes Back, despite them being horribly out of place and the practice being wildly unacceptable for a anime dub to do something like that.

4Kids was never in the anime business, they were in the cartoon business. TPCI treats its dub as an anime dub, even if it still tries to stamp out everything Japanese-y about it and sterilizes it for kids. I think both dubs are terrible and watch the JP version, but they're both bad for different reasons. TPCI's dub is neutered, but the 4Kids dub was dumb and unprofessional.

That is one good way of putting it, Oink. Yes 4kids was never in the anime business (as I learn from a video on youtube a while back which is a shame because some of the titles would have fair better if 4kids worked with other anime companies). I would say how they promoted Pokémon (as well as other anime to some less extent) at the time did help at least in making anime a more recognized thing in the U.S.

Also, I am wondering who would be nostalgic over listening to Americana pop songs to a in a Pokémon movie. Granted the music itself was good (well N'Sync for me since that is the group you mention I am most familiar with) but I can just listen to that separately from the movies. Then again I should not think too much of my own experience there are possibly people out there who feel nostalgic over that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
TruthTeller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

The best description would be 4Kids treated it's dub like a cartoon, where a TPCI treats it as an anime dub, one for kids at least. 4Kids would take various liberties with the script, putting in fourth-wall breaks and American pop culture references, which obviously TPCI wouldn't do. TPCI's dub is neutered, but the 4Kids dub was dumb and unprofessional.

Disagreed fully, in fact, I get the opposite vibe- TPCi treats its dub like a cartoon, whereas 4Kids treated it like an Anime dub for kids: furthermore, it's just as unprofessional and dumb as the 4Kids dub when it comes to the script. You seem to be completely unaware of TPCi's script rewrites, so let me elaborate on that...

TPCi takes various liberties with the script like 4Kids did, the fourth wall breaks still continue as do American pop culture references (e.g. "What's with you? If you're bored, go watch TV" from Jessie in the DP dub, "You'll see reruns" from Jessie in the XY dub, "The Green Green Grass Types of Home" referring to an outdated 1950s song with unneeded pop culture references), so obviously they're as guilty of taking the same script liberties 4Kids was- in fact, the writer for the TPCi dub was a minor script writer in the later 4Kids seasons, and even had the audacity to say his writing was funnier than the Japanese Versions during DP (where TPCi rewrote tons of dialogue).

Plus, we get worse things than pop songs from TPCi than we did with 4Kids, like the DP Rap and Alolan Moon which are hipster rap OPs. Also, those pop songs were only in the dub of the first Movie. Finally, the national anthem thing featured no Pokemon characters and has nothing to do with the 4Kids dub of Pokemon, irrelevant.

I love how delusional some people are on the script- yes, folks, TPCi still rewrote tons of lines, this was not a 4Kids-dub only thing. In fact, the TPCi dub script is even more rewritten for Team Rocket than it was for the 4Kids dub era. If you think "Primo perps," "Dig it," "Lugs," "I've never seen him work it so hard," etc. was in the Japanese Version of Pokemon, you need to realize none of this was there and TPCi still rewrites the script, just in their own dumb way.

I don't think both dubs were awful, either, I stick to the JP Version but prior to XY both dubs had their highs & lows- TPCi's dubs of recent Series, however, are awful and where most of the fandom off this site is admitting is the low point for the Pokemon dub as a whole. Take that for what you will, folks.
th0r0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
This is shaping up to be a great movie not just a great Pokemon movie!

Kind of related but, what do people think about the Arceus and Genesect movies? I rarely see them mentioned as favorites so I'm kind of worried how they were received. Not going to mention the Zoroark movie since it was kind of a mess, though I love the movie theme song "Ice Cream Syndrome".
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Is there something like a contiguous Pokemon story these days? I haven't watched any of the Pokemon anime/cartoons in like a decade+, and have never watched any of their movies, though I played the original Red/Blue (I think?) game as a kid.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
th0r0 wrote:

Kind of related but, what do people think about the Arceus and Genesect movies? I rarely see them mentioned as favorites so I'm kind of worried how they were received. Not going to mention the Zoroark movie since it was kind of a mess, though I love the movie theme song "Ice Cream Syndrome".

I have only seen the one featuring Arceus, but I do not remember much of it. I have seen a review of the one featuring Genesect as well the former movie, but from what I got they were not that great. Are you worried about the receptions those movies received because those are your favorite?

NeverConvex wrote:
Is there something like a contiguous Pokemon story these days? I haven't watched any of the Pokemon anime/cartoons in like a decade+, and have never watched any of their movies, though I played the original Red/Blue (I think?) game as a kid.

There pretty much has been a contiguous story in the Pokémon anime until starting around the Generation 5 in which they did a soft reboot, but starting in Generation 6 they went back to the establish continuity (at least according to this person here: link ). With that said however, the current anime Sun and Moon takes place in a different continuity all together, and this was indicated by the sound director for the anime Mima Masafumi on twitter. Here is a translation I found of his statement.

"I'm trying many different challenges (That will be surprise until watched ♬). I'll just introduce one thing. This photo mail is the front cover of Pocket Monster Sun & Moon for this time. Yes! every time, a screen shot that leaves an impression is decorated on the front cover. This is not continuation of Pocket Monster XY&Z, a completely new Satoshi and Pikachu"

As for the movies with the possible exception of the very first one they tend to be separate from the main story of the Pokémon anime as a whole, and the two recent ones are just taking place in a separate continuity with no bases on Sun and Moon's story. Now there have been cases in which the anime has made callbacks to past movies. I believe this was done during Diamond and Pearl, but I do not remember much.

Another thing, is Red and Blue the only Pokémon games you have played?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
TruthTeller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
So, the dub trailer has been released, and as expected, the English dub's voice acting is frankly terrible.

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1023945690622259200

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1024063793494540288

When even Dogasu says something is wrong with the dub's acting...yeah...

Also, TPCi changed the perfectly fine title of "Everyone's Story" to the lame, cheesy, corny "The Power of Us" and it's a stupid allusion to the 2nd Movie's dub title when (a) this Movie is in no way a remake of Movie 2, and (b) this Movie is about everyone, not just "us" like the dub team is implying.

TPCi were also too lazy to be bothered to ask Serena or Bonnie's dub VAs to modify their voices from what I heard, so they got them to literally re-use those voices for Lisa and Largo, respectively.

Music wise, the OST will be replaced in the actual film, this is just a tease before Goldfarb fires up his GarageBand app- they've done this before with Movies 17-18 before retroactively replacing it in the actual film, so there's a precedent for this.

Expect heavy script rewrites when it actually airs in full, just like I Choose You's dub had (e.g. "Might makes right," "Yo Ho, Ho Oh," "Entei's on the run, let's have fun," "Mess with me and you're gonna lose"), as well- this again is just a teaser trailer so Cathcart hasn't had the chance to put his "lul I'm so funny lines in" for the TPCi dub yet.

Aquasakura wrote:

However watching the video it made me realize or reminded me of how much heart 4kids put into to handling the Pokémon anime as appose to The Pokémon Company International, which is odd for me that a company that is name and focus on the Pokémon franchise that they would seem to be putting less effort then 4kids ever did. It kind of feels like they do not seem to have as much faith in the franchise as 4kids did.

TPCi have seemed to be notably lazier in terms of the production side of things than 4Kids were, I think, is the better way to describe the dub nowadays- TPCi still do script rewrites like 4Kids did, they still visually edit things out etc, but where the two dubs are very different from my vantage point is in terms of the voice acting, OST replacements, and opening themes, in which the latter 3 aspects I think the 4Kids dub was notably better about them.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
TruthTeller wrote:

Also, TPCi changed the perfectly fine title of "Everyone's Story" to the lame, cheesy, corny "The Power of Us" and it's a stupid allusion to the 2nd Movie's dub title when (a) this Movie is in no way a remake of Movie 2, and (b) this Movie is about everyone, not just "us" like the dub team is implying.

Yeah, I am not so into the new name of the film either for the reason you pointed out in point b. I would have prefer if the original title of the film was kept. With that said, I have read some comments about the name change and so far you are the only one I have read that does not like it. Everyone else like the the idea of "The Power of Us" making a reference to the Revelation-Lugia movie.

TruthTeller wrote:

TPCi have seemed to be notably lazier in terms of the production side of things than 4Kids were, I think, is the better way to describe the dub nowadays- TPCi still do script rewrites like 4Kids did, they still visually edit things out etc, but where the two dubs are very different from my vantage point is in terms of the voice acting, OST replacements, and opening themes, in which the latter 3 aspects I think the 4Kids dub was notably better about them.

In terms of opening themes I am with you there. For me that was the one major change I have notice the most from the U.S dub of the Pokémon anime since Diamond and Pearl, or maybe late in Advance Adventure as I do not think I care for that one ending theme song and thinking back on it the song seem to hint at the quality to come.

Also, I was speaking more in terms of how The Pokémon Company International was marketing as well as how they handle home video (or whatever it's mainly called) releases the anime compared to how 4kids did back in the day (which thinking back I should have made clearer).
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
TruthTeller wrote:
So, the dub trailer has been released, and as expected, the English dub's voice acting is frankly terrible.

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1023945690622259200

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1024063793494540288

When even Dogasu says something is wrong with the dub's acting...yeah...

"Even" Dogasu? From what I've seen Dogasu has been one of the dub's harshest critics, since, like, always.

Also when it comes to the title, I think it works; "The Power of One" was a complete nonsense title that actively went against what the Lugia movie was about (what was its real theme you ask? Hint: It's exactly the same as this one's), but "The Power of Us" to me seems like a decent compromise between giving a callback to the last film that Lugia played a major role in, without completely contradicting the point of the story. Also, quite frankly, it rolls off the tongue a lot better than "Everyone's Story" does. Quite frankly I've never liked the sound of that translation, and I tend to refer to it fairly consistently as Minna no Monogatari whenever I'm talking with anyone who would get that. I mean, the current English dub annoys me, but really, that's mostly due to the music. If they'd just stop scrapping all of the original music (while still crediting Shinji Miyazaki in the opening credits which honestly feels like mockery at this point) and making Team Rocket into constant pun-machines (we get it, they're comic relief characters, but guess what, the Japanese version managed to have them play that role without making literally every line of theirs a bad joke) I'd probably be able to tolerate it. I mean I don't like their tendency for bad pun titles (Sun & Moon episode 16 is particularly bad. I mean, "They Might Not Be Giants!"? What? First off, that reference is the epitome of random and doesn't even begin to work in any language that isn't English, and second, what was wrong with the original title, "A Small Trio on a Big Adventure"?), but as far as those go, I'd say this one is fairly inoffensive.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
I don't like their tendency for bad pun titles (Sun & Moon episode 16 is particularly bad. I mean, "They Might Not Be Giants!"? What? First off, that reference is the epitome of random and doesn't even begin to work in any language that isn't English, and second, what was wrong with the original title, "A Small Trio on a Big Adventure"?), but as far as those go, I'd say this one is fairly inoffensive.
Didn't the dub ALWAYS do those punny titles?
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:
I don't like their tendency for bad pun titles (Sun & Moon episode 16 is particularly bad. I mean, "They Might Not Be Giants!"? What? First off, that reference is the epitome of random and doesn't even begin to work in any language that isn't English, and second, what was wrong with the original title, "A Small Trio on a Big Adventure"?), but as far as those go, I'd say this one is fairly inoffensive.
Didn't the dub ALWAYS do those punny titles?

Yup. Still a thing I think they should stop doing though. Admittedly, some of the Japanese titles are also extremely cringeworthy puns that are nigh-impossible to translate. But the English dub definitely does it a lot more than the Japanese version does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3