• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Fate/Extra Last Encore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 am Reply with quote
Nasu wrote in his blog that he essentially wrote a source novel for Last Encore and then asked Hikaru Sakurai to help make it in a screenplay. With that in hindsight, it seems pretty obvious where some of the problems with the show come from. For example you can get away with a protag talking about being angry all the time in a novel, in the anime it just doesn't work. Same with introducing a single new character and then relegating her to audio drama to save time.

Also, despite him saying that this is meant for both fans and newcomers, that is clearly not true.
Which of course makes half of the conversation in the article irrelevant, because the show is barely coherent without the game in context.
Those are not AU Rin and Shinji. They are completely different characters that look the same and have some surface character traits in common.

AiddonValentine wrote:
I have no idea other than that Nasu doesn't seem to get that his stories are inherently fantastical and absurdist.

What he apparently gets is that the clown was bad in Extra and that there is no reason revisiting it. Gatou would've been cool, but p sure he didn't want Arcueid in it. People would start asking questions about that Tsukihime remake.
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Nasu wrote in his blog that he essentially wrote a source novel for Last Encore and then asked Hikaru Sakurai to help make it in a screenplay. With that in hindsight, it seems pretty obvious where some of the problems with the show come from. For example you can get away with a protag talking about being angry all the time in a novel, in the anime it just doesn't work. Same with introducing a single new character and then relegating her to audio drama to save time.

Also, despite him saying that this is meant for both fans and newcomers, that is clearly not true.
Which of course makes half of the conversation in the article irrelevant, because the show is barely coherent without the game in context.
Those are not AU Rin and Shinji. They are completely different characters that look the same and have some surface character traits in common.

AiddonValentine wrote:
I have no idea other than that Nasu doesn't seem to get that his stories are inherently fantastical and absurdist.

What he apparently gets is that the clown was bad in Extra and that there is no reason revisiting it. Gatou would've been cool, but p sure he didn't want Arcueid in it. People would start asking questions about that Tsukihime remake.
one thing that should be addressed is that the entire script nasu wrote for last encore is being released on august 12 next month. So anyone who is interested and can read Japanese can go buy it.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
I just marathoned the series and I'm a contrarian: I really enjoyed it. Didn't feel like a mess to me, loved Nero as Saber, thought "umu" was cute, and I had no issues with any of the visual decisions other than that I'm looking forward to getting a nice Shafting upgrade on some of the images/sequences prior to blu ray release.

I rarely agree with ANN's critics on titles like this, though.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I like Fate/Extra so far. It's kind of like watching Bakemonogatari in the Fate universe, with a similar art style as well (Thanks to SHAFT). If you go into it expecting your typical Fate story you're going to be perplexed and bored. Like Bakemonogatari, it's light on the action in favor of dialogue and character interaction, and as a huge fan of the Monogatari series, I was a fan of Fate/Extra as well once I settled into it. It is confusing at times, and I understand the criticism there, but I think they do a good job of representing a kind of collective madness, or purgatory that's gone off the rails. It's a fascinating world at times, and wholly different from anything else I've seen in the Fate story. It's an intriguing beast for sure, and not for everyone, but I looked forward to it every week nonetheless.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Jesus H. Christ are those seriously the subs for Last Encore? They're hideous.

Also Extra Shinji is a bro.

Yes, those are the subs, I just checked. White font with no outlines = AWFUL AND NEED TO BE ILLEGAL.

Quote:
What the Hell is Happening in Fate/Extra Last Encore?

Grammar, yo. The correct version should say "What the hell happened in Fate/EXTRA Last Encore". The show aired months ago so it should be past tense.

But yeah, this show was executed extremely poorly. A lot of games just don't work outside of the game format.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Jesus H. Christ are those seriously the subs for Last Encore? They're hideous.

Also Extra Shinji is a bro.

Yes, those are the subs, I just checked. White font with no outlines = AWFUL AND NEED TO BE ILLEGAL.

Quote:
What the Hell is Happening in Fate/Extra Last Encore?

Grammar, yo. The correct version should say "What the hell happened in Fate/EXTRA Last Encore". The show aired months ago so it should be past tense.

But yeah, this show was executed extremely poorly. A lot of games just don't work outside of the game format.

When it comes to Netflix fonts, you have to go into the Browser and customize the fonts so you can see them if you don't like them.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
These subs on Netflix can't be real. They are barely comprehensible. Did someone's kid translate this with no editor?
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, those subs look like they could be better.

Having played the original game, I found a lot of what was going on conceptually interesting, but there were definitely some ups and downs in how enjoyable each floor's story was to actually watch (I particularly liked the episodes with Robin, for example).

The big thing that kept dragging me out of it was questioning the mechanics of what was going on based on what I know from every other version of Extra. I'm still not sure why Queen's Glass Game worked quite the way it did or how some other abilities are even supposed to be possible within the established rules. It feels like the kind of thing that better Fate stories (which are almost exclusively text-based) would have provided explanatory narration for.

Also there are apparently audio dramas that I will probably never get an opportunity to listen to, so I just have to cross my fingers and hope that they don't contain anything I wanted to know, which is never fun.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Also there are apparently audio dramas that I will probably never get an opportunity to listen to, so I just have to cross my fingers and hope that they don't contain anything I wanted to know, which is never fun.
I hope you didn't like Amari!
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Is that why they showed her for like five seconds and then suddenly expected you to know and care about her in the floor 3 episodes? Why even have her in the show at all, then? Does she actually contribute something in the audio drama?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Is that why they showed her for like five seconds and then suddenly expected you to know and care about her in the floor 3 episodes? Why even have her in the show at all, then? Does she actually contribute something in the audio drama?

The drama CD is about her and covers the character arc that you'd think would normally be in the anime proper, but wasn't, Nasu why?
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

The drama CD is about her and covers the character arc that you'd think would normally be in the anime proper, but wasn't, Nasu why?
nasu only wrote the script, he wasn't the one adapting it. Anyways the script nasu wrote for the anime is going to be released on august 12th next month, so we can see if the staff did a terrible job adapting it or if it's the same as the anime.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
He wrote a novel and then with the help of Sakurai adapted it to a script. He is credited for series composition so the quality of the script is his responsibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2