• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Conan O'Brien Heads to Japan to Claim His Detective Conan Royalties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:39 am Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:
Since this is ending in a trip, I think that this whole thing was probably set up by Conan and Conan-town or Japan itself as a fun way to announce Conan's trip. Doesn't make it any less funny or cool that he's doing, I just doubt this whole joking back-and-forth wasn't set up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trip itself was planned since it would require cooperation from both sides, but Conan's original initial dig at the character and the city's response probably weren't planned from the beginning. I doubt the TV show was even expecting the city to play along.

Just my guess though, of course.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
That poor cow.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
What I can't figure out is whether or not this is one of his official "Conan without Borders" trips or not. His Korea show was all kinds of fun. This just seems to be "Conan goes to Conan Town, Japan" rather than a big country spotlight like he's done in Korea, Cuba, Haiti, Armenia, Italy, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XerBlade
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
By the way, they are seriously taunting me by using that particular volume cover as the thumbnail image (which thankfully isn't visible when reading the article itself) for every single article about this.

That image is explicitly from the case that preceded Movie 21.

Which is also the next case that hasn't been adapted in the anime yet.

Which means I can't add Movie 21 to my online important episode list until those episodes are aired (or announced).

And that is two movies ago at this point.

There has been way too much filler in the anime. The movies are once a year. And it's two movies-worth of manga behind. Just think about that. That's how far the anime is behind the manga at this point.

We've already got 8 weeks in a row (or 2 months) currently scheduled without any manga content, and that's just as far ahead as we know about. Before that, it was also a while since the manga case before that. And this isn't the kind of situation like with your One Pieces or your Narutos where every arc is crazy long in between breaks for fillers.

They're basically adapting at a rate of one generally-3-manga-chapter-case (or 2 episodes) every 2 to 4 months right now.

And, by the way, the fillers are horrible. The erroneous assumptions that people who have only casual knowledge of the franchise have about it pretty much entirely stem from the dumb and formulaic anime originals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xzy123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
By the way, they are seriously taunting me by using that particular volume cover as the thumbnail image (which thankfully isn't visible when reading the article itself) for every single article about this.

Which means I can't add Movie 21 to my online important episode list until those episodes are aired (or announced).

There has been way too much filler in the anime. The movies are once a year. And it's two movies-worth of manga behind. Just think about that. That's how far the anime is behind the manga at this point.

We've already got 8 weeks in a row (or 2 months) currently scheduled without any manga content, and that's just as far ahead as we know about. Before that, it was also a while since the manga case before that. And this isn't the kind of situation like with your One Pieces or your Narutos where every arc is crazy long in between breaks for fillers.

They're basically adapting at a rate of one generally-3-manga-chapter-case (or 2 episodes) every 2 to 4 months right now.

And, by the way, the fillers are horrible. The erroneous assumptions that people who have only casual knowledge of the franchise have about it pretty much entirely stem from the dumb and formulaic anime originals.

I have say the same thing of SWO but hey they get money anyway who cares about dumb and boring when they get more money
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Gamlin wrote:
O Brien is basically the Black Organization as to Aoyama is to Conan. He won't win this case especially when Japan can roast his ass in court.

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a joke flying right over your head!

To be fair, people outside of the US probably don't know who this talk show host actually is, and the article only reveals it's a joke in the last half of the article.

It's a lot of text to read esp. when there is a video embedded too.

At least that was the case for me.

I don't know about the other countries, but here in Portugal, Conan's show, as well as Jay Leno's, Jon Stewart's and and Stephen Colbert's, are/were subbed and aired on cable channels that belong to the main networks. And we've been doing this for years now. Stewart for the win, by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:

Conan anime kinda took a place on its own as a Japanese cultural institution separate from the manga similar to Sazae-san.
Fruitsbsk28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
As funny as this is, I feel like it would have meant more to Conan fans in the states like... 14 years ago. Razz
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:

It's inevitable. The manga took a very long hiatus and is currently on hiatus again (either that or in-between). There isn't that much content. Meanwhile the anime has been adding more hints who the spoiler[boss of the Black Organization] is since the reveal in last December.[/spoiler]
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was setting up for O'Brien to visit Japan! Laughing

Now watch Conan's 3 Trillion Yen ends up being in Monopoly money or in Conan Town tokens. Razz

Then he will announce he's guest starting in the next Detective Conan project.
skyechan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Watch this publicity stunt be part of the basis for next year's Conan Mystery Tour.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Conan managed to get a hilarious bit part in a Korean drama when he went to Korea. I hope he gets the full anime treatment in Japan!
Gamlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:01 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Gamlin wrote:
O Brien is basically the Black Organization as to Aoyama is to Conan. He won't win this case especially when Japan can roast his ass in court.

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a joke flying right over your head!

Well then how AM I supposed to know this is a joke in the first place then? And this one is a joke? Yeah I didn't read it carefully so yeah...

But on a much serious note regarding the manga: the manga's release in the US was hit by a copyright lawsuit from the own who owned the Conan name worldwide. Which is bs about it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
When I hear the name "Conan", I will either picture Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Conan the Barbarian, Detective Conan, or Conan O'Brien.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
FYI, The edited for broadcast version of Conan's trip to Japan is finally airing tomorrow

Conan Without Borders: Japan premieres Wednesday, Nov. 28, at 10 p.m. E.T. on TBS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3