• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Force Game Adds Yu-Gi-Oh's Yūgi Mutō

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sure if you like hammy and occasionally ill fitting voice acting.

It's funny how people get so upset with adult Goku sounding like a woman but are fine with a young teenger like Yugi sounding like he's in his 40s

I mean... Yami Yugi is also a good 3000 years old so he can probably sound however at this point.
TurboDuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Okay if the Pharaoh gets to be in this game then I want to see Gintoki, Kagura, and Zura from Gintama too. Make them special DLC's or something.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
If Jump Force will have Dan Green voicing Yugi in the English version of the game, then he'll be voicing Yugi.

What's done was done with the 4Kids dub. Al Khan and his crew weren't about maintaining artistic integrity with the license, they wanted a property to sell cards and toys and it didn't matter how the dub was cast as long as the talent was in New York and the show itself was in English.

Seriously, all this vitriol towards the 4Kids dub is just beating a dead horse at this point. Khan made Yu-Gi-Oh! a success here and the card game is still being actively played to this day worldwide and online.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I have doubts that they'd use an English voice cast considering J-Stars Victory VS didn't use one, and both games are even made by the same people.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I have doubts that they'd use an English voice cast considering J-Stars Victory VS didn't use one, and both games are even made by the same people.

Most anime games not based on Dragonball don't have dubs. At least, Sword Art Online, Seven Deadly Sins, Little Witch Academia, and One Piece games don't. Not sure on the upcoming My Hero Academia one. I imagine it'd be a huge licensing nightmare considering all these shows were dubbed by different companies and studios, and some of the represented shows were never even released in America to begin with.

As far as Yu-Gi-Oh! goes, I'd have to agree I'd rather the 4Kids dub just be left in the past. Cast new actors if it's going to get dubbed, like Sailor Moon's redub got. The 4Kids voices didn't really fit at all. It was dubbed in the era where companies thought giving character goofy, over-the-top accents was comedy.

-Stuart Smith
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
As far as Yu-Gi-Oh! goes, I'd have to agree I'd rather the 4Kids dub just be left in the past. Cast new actors if it's going to get dubbed, like Sailor Moon's redub got. The 4Kids voices didn't really fit at all. It was dubbed in the era where companies thought giving character goofy, over-the-top accents was comedy.

Why would they drop the old voice actors now when they've brought them back before recently with the movie The Dark Side of Dimensions and other games like Duel Links?

And personally, I thought their performances from the movie were good and don't require a change.

Last edited by Marimo0 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Sure if you like hammy and occasionally ill fitting voice acting.
I'm sure if the game was dubbed, they would offer both the dub and Japanese version as an option to switch between. I'm not sure why some sub fans are overly defensive when someone says they like a dub actor.

Quote:
Why would they cast an entire new voice cast just for one video game that's clearly meant to be banking on nostalgia fanservice?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Yugi!? Really!? No, Toriko, My Hero Academia, Jojo, or Black Clover. Also, two characters from Naruto while One Piece has five. That so not fair (also, why Bleach have three?)

They've been pretty coy when asked about My Hero Academia so I'm expecting they'll have some reps.
Marimo0 wrote:
Aquasakura wrote:
I am wondering how Yugi, or more like Altemu as that what the picture actually shows, is going to fight. Also, his right hand looks like it's a mannequin hand.

I believe you can see the edge of his duel disk on his left arm. So I think it could be something like Jump Ultimate Stars where Yugi fights by summoning monsters to attack, but doesn't really do anything himself when fighting which could leave him vulnerable to direct attacks.

Yeah, I'm guessing he'll have Dark Magician, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Gaia, Buster Blader, and maybe even Exodia/The God Cards for attacks.
Stuart Smith wrote:

Most anime games not based on Dragonball don't have dubs. At least, Sword Art Online, Seven Deadly Sins, Little Witch Academia, and One Piece games don't. Not sure on the upcoming My Hero Academia one. I imagine it'd be a huge licensing nightmare considering all these shows were dubbed by different companies and studios, and some of the represented shows were never even released in America to begin with.

And the Naruto games are usually dubbed too.

I really wish more anime games got dubbed if only to give those who are a fan of the English casts for games that option...plus then we don't have so many battle dialogue that's not subtitled so anyone who can't speak Japanese won't know what characters are saying.
Quote:

But that's part of what people love about the 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh! dub Razz.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I am stunned that nobody's made a joke about it being time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel in this thread. smh.
HK16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The GOAT! My Game King has arrived. As expected. I knew they'd get his hair color wrong. smh Now I'm expecting them to not add his manga wristband, which of course I can't see in the image. lol

Aquasakura wrote:
I am wondering how Yugi, or more like Altemu as that what the picture actually shows, is going to fight. Also, his right hand looks like it's a mannequin hand.

Aquasakura wrote:
^ So it would almost be like playing Pokémon Trainer from Smash except Altemu can actually get hit by his opponents.

You did it once. I let it go. You did it twice. Now I have to ask... do you really think his name has that letter in it?
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
HK16 wrote:
The GOAT! My Game King has arrived. As expected. I knew they'd get his hair color wrong. smh Now I'm expecting them to not add his manga wristband, which of course I can't see in the image. lol

Aquasakura wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:
^ So it would almost be like playing Pokémon Trainer from Smash except Altemu can actually get hit by his opponents.

You did it once. I let it go. You did it twice. Now I have to ask... do you really think his name has that letter in it?

I was gonna say the same thing. I think the spelling is Atem or Atemu.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm sure if the game was dubbed, they would offer both the dub and Japanese version as an option to switch between. I'm not sure why some sub fans are overly defensive when someone says they like a dub actor.

That wasn't being overly defensive that was pointing out simple facts. The english voice acting in Yu-Gi-Oh is passable simply because of a lot of weird and unnecessary elements that were added.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Seriously, all this vitriol towards the 4Kids dub is just beating a dead horse at this point. Khan made Yu-Gi-Oh! a success here

Yeah and now it's gone from airing on Kids WB and Cartoon Network to being on Nicktoons and not having as much relevance.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

and the card game is still being actively played to this day worldwide and online.

.....This has less to do with 4 Kids and owed to Konami whom I'm not sure we want to give praise to nowadays.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The card game still being around is actually probably the reason they don't do a full recast. It would be pretty hard since the card game still needs to be edited heavily for American audiences. Doing a redub wouldn't make sense if the cards themselves are still being censored and changed. Like it or not, the series is kind of stuck where it is in America.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

That wasn't being overly defensive that was pointing out simple facts. The english voice acting in Yu-Gi-Oh is passable simply because of a lot of weird and unnecessary elements that were added.
So don't watch the dub then if you don't like it?

Quote:
The card game still being around is actually probably the reason they don't do a full recast. It would be pretty hard since the card game still needs to be edited heavily for American audiences. Doing a redub wouldn't make sense if the cards themselves are still being censored and changed. Like it or not, the series is kind of stuck where it is in America.
I think the lack of an uncut re-release has less to do with the card game and more to do with Yami Yugi's Japanese actor is contracted with Johnny's agency and this prevented even a streamed subbed release from happening for a long time. Also the last time they tried releasing uncut Yugioh DVDs they sold really badly.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah and now it's gone from airing on Kids WB and Cartoon Network to being on Nicktoons and not having as much relevance.

You're being snide. I'm not referring to the show in its present state. I'm going by reception back when the show first aired in the early 2000s. The fans hated the dub then but the casual kid audiences ate the show up like candy and were enticed to buy the card game. The show and game were successes, period.
Quote:
.....This has less to do with 4 Kids and owed to Konami whom I'm not sure we want to give praise to nowadays.

Does 4Kids not earn a cut of the profits based on naming conventions for certain cards and VA leasing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3