• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Japanese Live-Action Death Note Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Beyond it being a spin-off that many people seem to write off (Viz never gave it a blu-ray release), I don't know--although I believe it to be underrated/appreciated.

At the time that Viz had the movie license, there was no Blu-ray for L in Japan, that didn't happen until October 2016, long after they had expired here.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
The only reason I can think of as to why FUNi wouldn't want to send Light Up The NEW World to Ocean is because aside from flashbacks, only one of the remaining characters returned for this

I haven't seen the newest movie yet, but spoiler[Misa and Matsuda] are supposed to have small roles in it. spoiler[Add in Ryuk,] who is listed as a secondary character in the film, plus the spoiler[L and Light flashbacks] and I think you've got enough returning to warrant it going to Ocean. spoiler[Brian Drummond, Shannon Chan Kent, Vincent Tong, Brad Swaile and Alessandro Juliani (not sure they'd need these two if it's just archival footage)] are very much active actors in Vancouver, even if they seldom get to show up in anime anymore.

MarshalBanana wrote:
And rather good timing, today at Anime Weekend Atlanta, Funimation are having a panel on Gintama, so we will get to see if they will continue dubbing it in Canada as CR were, or do it in-house.

I believe that's just a screening, so there probably won't be any news from it. I'm not optimistic about that dub continuing on.

#863350 wrote:
Maybe there's some legal/license shenanigans at play? The UK/AU sets, even the BDs which came out years later, didn't include the dub, so maybe this was a rare case where the original studio didn't inherit the dubbed audio. I mean, it seems unlikely but none of the other three English releases including the dub seems equally odd.

I'm happy enough with my 2-disc UK DVDs (which came in Death Note styled digipacks and seem to have longer extras than the Viz sets), but it would have been nice to have the dub out of interest/completionism. I guess this means I can grab the Australian 'New World' BD without missing out on anything, right?

It would be really odd if the Japanese licensor, who seems to be NTV, didn't have access to these dubs. They are well received, (comparatively) modern productions done for Viz and not some sketchy publisher. There aren't any edits or replacement music that I'm aware of, so that's a head scratcher. Very strange that they were North America-only. Means those Viz BDs are going to inflate in price.

This wouldn't explain why the new one's not getting dubbed, though. Looks like Light up the NEW World has a Spanish and German dub, so it doesn't seem like NTV is against dubbing it.

pachy_boy wrote:
Not only will I keep my Viz blu-ray bundle of the original two movies, but I may as well keep my Madman Australian blu-ray of Light up the New World, as I seriously doubt Funimation will include the 3-episode prequel mini-series that actually helped flesh out the movie's world and its characters. Having said that, whatever the shortcomings it's still great Funimation is putting these movies out again--the original two were a solid adaptation of the Anime and Shinsuke Sato delivered a genuinely exciting follow-up.

I think if Funimation got New Generation, they'd have mentioned it. Different companies behind it, but Madman got the live-action Attack on Titan web-series while Funimation didn't.

Little bonuses like that tend to slip by, at least in North America. Viz didn't get the L Change the WorLd TV special back in the day either.
-SP-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The only live-action Death Note films that should exist.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear Light Up the NEW World is finally coming to the US. Even if I personally think it's a pretty bad movie... Very weird that the dubs for the old movies are not included, even if I basically never watch live action films dubbed...
Southkaio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I am sure that the Ocean Group will be back for the English-language dubs of the recent Death Note movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2