• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Goblin Slayer (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
I want to say that the samurai is the big bad of the capital arc somehow, yet maybe that would be a bit too on the nose. Though flashing red eyes usually indicate something and the flashbacks are there for a reason.

Yeah, Goblin Slayer could do well as a general adventurer. He may not have high specs himself, but his quick and creative thinking combined with a strong party makes him able to take down a lot of targets. The exception to this are targets that are very powerful like demon generals.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
When even one of the top guys at the council/roundtable says that the newbies can take care of the goblins you know there is still a lot of work to do education wise. Said roundtable has some real varied and interesting members. Episode 10 in general was great in showcasing and telling a bit more of the wider world and the people living in it. The adventures of Goblin Slayer and gang are only a small part of the whole pie.

It was also nice to see the noble fencer again. As for the princess and her plans... well, I hope that she gets out of the dungeon of death alive and well, but I would not bet on it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:46 am Reply with quote
S2 #10

A lot of the episode actually focuses on worldbuilding, with absolutely no goblin slaying for once. These episodes are more common now since the template was first established in the academy arc, which is just as well because it appears the Goblin Slayer's day job of fulfilling his job title is about to turn into something much bigger than he could imagine.

The princess is almost the spitting image of the party Priestess, only with much shorter hair. The unfortunate Priestess was the mark because she had the right build, that way the equipment would fit without needing to actually buy them. She wanted an adventure; she gets more than she bargained for. Since the veterans have long since dismissed goblins as a trivial threat, it is no wonder they would rather outsource the job to faceless adventurers who can do the job discreetly to avoid scandal. The perfect candidates have arrived, and this is good news for the Sword Maiden who is nominally in charge of the expedition and gets to fight alongside the Slayer for once. At the very least it prevents the council members from losing face when their overconfidence is their undoing had they taken the job themselves.

The Slayer is having doubts about his job title. Not a big surprise, considering this issue has been plaguing him since the academy arc. But if he is going to regain his previous focus on goblin slaying, this mission will need to offer something more than the usual to fix his mindset. The dwarf and lizard make good points, but this is the Slayer we're talking about and his obsession needs something more than just advice to be rekindled.

The redhead's sister was buried in the capital (dead ringer for imperial Rome). Probably because she was a Magic Academy graduate and the adventurer's guild had to do something with the recovered corpses. The Priestess remembered and even gave her report about the redhead, which is very much in keeping with her character. I do not expect she'll lose that chainmail vest for good; they'll get it back together with the Princess (chastity intact another matter if shamans are involved). Just how they're going to do it now that the Sword Maiden is tagging along is going to be interesting, since she's surely going to take her chance to try and sleep with the Slayer whether he consents or not.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:03 am Reply with quote
I noticed the head honcho referred to the world as a board. So the whole thing about Gods playing games with mortals for their amusement in this tabletop universe is a permeating religion. It made me wonder if Goblin Slayer's tabletop RPG world is flat.

And I'm guessing this wisdom god/cult/situation is going to have something to do with the recent leaps and bounds that goblins have been making? I'm going to have to rewatch Goblin's Crown because something's tickling my memory. And I agree, it was nice seeing Noble Fencer again.

Also, the fact that Priestess was unmoved by seeing all kinds of rubies and emeralds and sapphires spilling out of her pouch says something about how much she values that chainmail that had clearly been torn and mended multiple times.

Anyway, I don't know what I was expecting from the capitol arc, but this weird princess and the paup...I mean, princess and the priestess situation wasn't it. I also find it a little odd that the bigwigs don't have lots of parties of powerful and discreet adventurers on hand for dealing with these kinds of situations. That said, if it gives Goblin Slayer and his band a chance to earn some long delayed guild cred, I'm all for it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
It does feel like too much of a coincidence when you have the ever increasing intelligence and thus thread of the goblins on one hand and a cult claiming to offer wisdom to all on the other. As for how one would increase the intelligence of goblins....magic?

As for the adventurers, they tend to be a freedom loving bunch, so I doubt that many, especially high ranking ones would stick around in one place for too long. The roundtable probably have multiple parties and even the heroes they can call upon, but they would not be able to respond in time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:00 am Reply with quote
Probably figure that Goblin Slayer already found out about the goblin attack for why they were there so quickly. Goblin Slayer also has some fame from bards singing about him, right? At the same time I would also think that despite that a lot of the sensitive details that come with taking down goblins and saving people don't get spread.

The episode had a good deal of adventurer downtime, added onto the start of the episode made me have a double take, because things like pouting princesses are not exactly normal for it. Innocent things are usually met with something really bad happening to that innocence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Up until now, I haven't been enjoying GS II as much as I did the first season or the movie, but with the start of this new arc, things have now kicked into high gear for me. Pity this comes with only 2 episodes left in the instalment. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't been enjoying the show, it's just that it hasn't had the same juice as before. Oi, I feel for the Princess. Yes, she is the mistress of her own misfortune, but we know all too well what sort of experience she's in for... hope the Goblin Slayer and Co. get to her fast.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
Huh, that rescue operation went a lot easier than I was expecting things to go. No sudden evil big bad popping up, no desperate tactics necessary either. They followed the tracks and by staying calm and making the most of their options combined with some keen insight they have saved the day(?). The princess seems relatively fine too.

@Blood- I like this season more due to there being a bit more depth to the world and the inhibitants of said world. We are seeing lots of different locations, how people live and there is even time to not only kill things. That roundtable for example seems to be far more than just a group of old fogies, half of them seem to be rather powerful. There are also the quirky heroes that are fighting some sort of blob thingy.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:54 pm Reply with quote
As to whether I like this season or season 1 better, I have to say that for me, season 1 had the edge that comes from the intensity of shock and novelty. But that's not a potshot or disappointment talking. For me, any series that starts awesome and manages to maintain its original flavor with this level of quality and consistency is an A rank blessing. For every Konosuba there's a To Your Eternity and a Log Horizon and a Promised Neverland.

Then you've got lucky shows like Shield Hero and Would it Be Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon where the second season is the weakest season, but the shows get a chance to redeem themselves because the core audience is so loyal..

Anyhow, I do agree that Season 2 of Goblin Slayer has expanded the world and added some seasoning to the character development.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Edjwald has hit the nail on the head for me as to why I'm not as invested in season 2: shock and novelty. I don't feel there's been a drop off in quality it's just that I've become used to what it has to offer. His examples of shows that have majorly pooped the bed after a strong first season also resonates with me.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:58 pm Reply with quote
S2 #11

It seems anti-climatic that the meat of the expedition has been such a smooth ride, especially in comparison to the previous one at the Elven fortress where the four of them were really close to getting annihilated. One could put it down to better preparation and help from the Capital's higher-ups, but unlike everyone else who's counting their chickens early I suspect the real action is yet to come. For the first time, we've got a Goblin Priest rather than a Shaman, so that's something different. What really strikes me about this expedition is Slayer's party unwittingly working in conjunction with the Hero Trio, and thanks to the Slayer's use of the Gate Spell they made life a lot easier for the Hero Trio against a monster which was meant to be much tougher than it should have been had it not absorbed falling goblins from the sky.

Every single item and scene in season two has been done with a purpose. The healing potion in the previous arc was one (Slayer had to use it or die from bleeding). This time he's getting the ribbon that allows them to travel between the heart of the dungeon and beyond, and I'm almost certain that's going to be used next episode as the Slayer's job is not done yet. They've finished off 20 goblins plus the Priest at the end, but all that blood from previous parties has already been spilt and the Priestess's purification has probably come too late. Viewers just have to find out for themselves what the next week will bring, especially with such a peculiar title.

This season has very much been a continuation of the previous one; meaning there's only so many ways to see goblins get massacred before casual viewers get bored since it's no longer about blood and naked bodies to hook viewers. I certainly welcome the increased focus on characterization and world building which the previous season didn't really focus on, as well as the underlying thread of evolving goblins and who or what is behind this phenomenon. Tying in the Slayer to the greater fate of the world through his single-minded focus on goblins is also something introduced in this season, which fits in nicely with what he said in the Academy arc about wanting to be a Hero (like the realm's titular one) but his life not really turning out that way. Those watching this for blood, guts and shock value are obviously highlighting the differences with season one in a negative manner, I'm happy I get to see Season Two in the first place and that the arcs aired have improved since the Academy arc (which I disliked mainly because of the redhead more than anything else. It laid the foundations for the running themes this season which the later arcs have expanded on).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
Welp, I hope everyone has learned a valuable lesson about expressing their honest views in a friendly exchange. And I also hope that lesson is: when in doubt, just agree with me already.

I don't know why that's so difficult...

Anyway, I rewatched parts of the Goblin's Crown movie this morning, and there is indeed mention of the God of Wisdom in that movie. His or her or its totem is the green moon, the same place that goblins are said to come from. In the movie, goblins were occupying one of the God of Wisdom's old missions.

So...I wouldn't be surprised if the seed planted in that movie is coming into some kind of harvest here. My only complaint about that movie was that it spent so much time recapping season 1, and Noble Fencer has shown up again, so it's all definitely canon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Welp, I hope everyone has learned a valuable lesson about expressing their honest views in a friendly exchange. And I also hope that lesson is: when in doubt, just agree with me already.

I don't know why that's so difficult...

*sighs deeply*

*pinches bridge of nose*

See, Edjwald? It's posts like that that ensure I have to hunt you down like a dog and "deal" with you the way that Goblin Slayer "deals" with goblins...

Oh, and by the way, happy holidays, good buddy!!!

Welp, I'm off to my Split Personailty Anonymous meeting!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:56 am Reply with quote
So, before I go into the final episode content wise, was anyone else less than pleased by the heavy camera shaking and blurring? It honestly felt like mr camera had a few too many.

Anyway, like some predicted, it ended too neatly/easily last week and thus there was another fight....with a giant hand. A tricky hand, yet it was dealth with thanks to some quick thinking and not giving up. Also kudos for that same quick thinking/being thorough to have resulted in sword maiden on a crusade to bail the gang out when things were looking bleak.

The end I am a bit unsure about. It is nice to see priestess having grown a fair bit, yet goblin slayer seems both happy and unhappy with his self chosen lot in life. He does not want to abandon his mission, yet he does seem to be thinking what if.

The season as a whole I liked better than the first one. Thanks to many new characters, varied locations and some non goblin threats the world has become a lot more interesting and bigger than just a place where you see goblins get murdered.

Edit: oh right, mr samurai, I forgot about him, seems like he really was a flashback only thing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So if I'm getting it right, Goblin Slayer kept repeating that nothing had changed or will change because he was trying to convince himself, not because he was referring to some immutable law.

Because something has changed, which is what the little flashbacks all the way up the path were about. Change has been the motif of this season in one form or another, and Goblin Slayer isn't sure how to process that because he's spent his whole life shutting down emotion and trying to transform himself into the Batman of Goblindom or whatever.

The gigantic black hand was weird but cool. I legitimately though Lizard Priest was going to die for a good thirty seconds there, and I was a bit surprised to discover how much I didn't want him to.

Great season IMHO. Keep em' coming please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8