• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are The Different Types of Ramen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
This article makes me really hungry.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I like the dip ramen with gyokai broth soup next to tonkotsu.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Justin, what is this place in Des Moines you mentioned? I find myself there from time to time, so it might be worth checking out.

The place is called Wasabi. There are apparently a few locations, but the one I went to was in Johnston. The ramen was every bit as good as some of my favorite LA haunts. The sushi was almost there, but the night I visited the sushi rice seasoning was a little bit off.

Thanks. It looks like a couple of their locations are pretty close to where I would be depending on the reason I'm in the city, so I'll have to make a point to go.

I'll vouch for Wasabi Restaurants too! I absolutely love their ramen. I could drink their broth straight out of a glass - delicious! (The one I frequent is Wasabi Chi over on the northeast side of town. Last I knew the Ramen wasn't listed on the menu, but all you have to do is ask!) And, dang it, now I'm really hungry. lol

Last edited by Elves on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Guess I have to turn in my weeb card, because I've never had any sort of ramen, instant or otherwise (or Japanese cuisine in general I guess). I've watched the few ramen episodes Binging with Babish has done, and while I consider myself an eater who's open to a lot of things, I feel like I'd have been better off not seeing what actually goes into the stuff. Dried fish flakes and pork bones you have to skim slime off of are...not really doing it for me. Very Happy It's the same reason you never, ever look up what goes into a hot dog.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Guess I have to turn in my weeb card, because I've never had any sort of ramen, instant or otherwise (or Japanese cuisine in general I guess). I've watched the few ramen episodes Binging with Babish has done, and while I consider myself an eater who's open to a lot of things, I feel like I'd have been better off not seeing what actually goes into the stuff. Dried fish flakes and pork bones you have to skim slime off of are...not really doing it for me. Very Happy It's the same reason you never, ever look up what goes into a hot dog.

You definitely have to turn in your weeb card, and also your "open-minded eater" card. Nearly every pre-packaged food at the supermarket has far more disgusting preparation steps than that.

Last edited by jsevakis on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE a good bowl of authentic ramen. There’s a fantastic place near me that has the best miso chashu ramen I’ve ever had.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Feel compelled to do a shout-out to Ajisen Ramen and thier wonderful Tonkotsu! I know it's a chain, but I've not had better and about any of their ramen is so good to have on a cold(-ish) day in SoCal...
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I think I'd like to eat ramen, but as someone who doesn't eat much meat, and doesn't eat seafood or eggs (except omelettes and scrambled...) there isn't much hope for me.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I can assure you bonito flakes and pork stock are very pedestrian and you should not be freaked out. XP
Juraiquest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
Soup-er artical! Now the next time I visit one of the larger cities, I’m looking for a ramen restaurant...Yelp don’t let me down!
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
If you are interested int he history of ramen check out this excellent book:
The Untold History of Ramen: How Political Crisis in Japan Spawned a Global Food Craze by George Solt

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520282353/the-untold-history-of-ramen

BTW some ramen place in the US actually use egg in their noodles so if you have an egg allergy be sure to ask first. Traditional ramen noodles do not have eggs in the mix.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see ramen actually originated from China.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Dried fish flakes and pork bones you have to skim slime off of are...not really doing it for me. Very Happy It's the same reason you never, ever look up what goes into a hot dog.

Actually, dried anchovies are a very common stock ingredient in other cultures, and using meat bones of any kind is a pretty normal way of preparing stocks and concentrates, so if you've ever had beef/chicken broth/stock, you've pretty much already had the Western equivalent. Really not all that horrific. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Justin, if this anime thing doesn't work out, you can become a food writer! Very Happy

So, funny story, I keep kosher, and over the last 30 years, sushi has taken the kosher world by storm. You can barely go into a kosher supermarket (or pizza shop, which, yeah) without seeing a sushi section. I've seen sushi labeled in Yiddish for the Hasidic market, it's really wild.

Sushi fits in well into the kosher world because fish is considered pareve, or neutral, neither "meat" or "milk", and can be eaten with either type of meal (whereas meat and dairy are not allowed to be eaten in the same meal, and Orthodox Jews usually wait up to about 6 hours between eating meat/fowl and dairy). This means that Orthodox Jewish families have started to swap their gefilte fish course for sushi before eating their chicken soup at their Friday night Sabbath meal.

Unfortunately, there is a (little known outside of Orthodox Jewish circles) prohibition against *cooking* or eating fish or fish-derivatives directly with meat or fowl (actually, their are some Orthodox Jews who hold one can't eat fish directly with dairy, either. Not all Jews put lox on their bagels with cream cheese!). Meaning, one can eat a fish dish before or after a meat/fowl course, but not at the same time, or on the same plate.

Since so many Asian and Southeast Asian dishes mix fish flavors with meat and/or fowl, they are very hard to replicate for the kosher consumer (and that's not even getting into avoiding the pork or shellfish elements).

But there is hope yet! The first kosher ramen place in NYC opened up on the Upper West Side this past February. I don't think ramen will ever be as popular as sushi here, but I'd love to see more variety in kosher cuisine (even though, or especially because I personally lean peskatarian/vegetarian).

Last edited by Agent355 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Feel compelled to do a shout-out to Ajisen Ramen and thier wonderful Tonkotsu! I know it's a chain, but I've not had better and about any of their ramen is so good to have on a cold(-ish) day in SoCal...

Huh, Ajisen also has a couple of locations here in NY, namely in Manhattan Chinatown and Flushing. While I happen to think their ramen is nothing special with so many other better places around here in the city, I had no idea their chain likely originated in SoCal. The more you know!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3