• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsurune

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
@Imadeatree That is, if I understand correctly, the main differences between the anime and the novel are a strong decrease in yaoi bait, the removal of many side characters, the simplification of the plot and the replacement of the main “ship” with another?

Imadeatree wrote:
define this as their unnecessary need for making everything revolve around Seiya/Minato and erase anything that happens between Seiya/Kaito and Minato/Masaki (because Minato and Masaki are very personal, they share many moments together, and a lot of coffee, too much coffee). It's just, really, like the anime, you can like it. I'm sorry if all the complaining made people annoyed lmao. Just why kyoani, why???? You could have banked all that fujo coin, and now you might not.

Well, I understand that Tsurune is a Hibike in pants, but I doubt that the purpose of creating this anime was to create a "fujo coin". Of course, the baiting is still in place and it clearly intends, but I think it would be disrespectful to think that a studio like KyoAni would try to create expensive and interesting shows just for the sake of fanservice.

It reminds me of a Eupho's second season when people were so expecting that all the anime would be baiting that Asuka's arc started to get violent complaints only because KumiRei lost all studio's attention and many even tried blame KyoAni for allegedly anime original content.

So, I want to say that the studio is trying to tell a good story, and not to be endless ship material. Or do you watch KyoAni shows just for the sake of yaoi and yuri shiping, and the rest is just a beautiful background for you?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My least favorite resolution came with the twins, who are anime-original characters.

What the heck? The twins aren't anime original at all, so I have no idea where you came up with that idea. As for one of them developing target panic, that's also in the novels. It happens as a result of their quick succession shooting, which somehow seemed to have been completely forgotten about by the last episode, because their shooting was at normal speed. The only thing I thought that was cheesy about the whole thing was Minato's anime original foreshadowing about it when they went to get charms at the shrine earlier in the season.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please don't miss the after-credits scene. It took me some time to realize that the show is not only about Minato and his team, but about the relationship between Minato and Masa, two archers at different points in their lives dealing with the same problem

I could even say that this is the main topic. It doesn't matter if you ship them, or see as an important example of a “working” relationship between a student and teacher, in my opinion this was the center of the show.

The only problem is that the anime spends too much time trying to figure out akogare's problems between Minato and Seiya, and the topic of obsession loses its meaning after the penultimate arc, but I’m ready to forgive this for the fact that I got the male version of “adolescence”, which I have long wanted and waited.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
The only problem is that the anime spends too much time trying to figure out akogare's problems between Minato and Seiya, and the topic of obsession loses its meaning after the penultimate arc, but I’m ready to forgive this for the fact that I got the male version of “adolescence”, which I have long wanted and waited.

not just Seiya/Minato but also how the show decided to make Masa closer to Tommy-sensei. not that i am complaining at all because the dialogue between those two adults were a treat for older viewers of the show too. but i do agree, the Masa/Minato relationship which i see as either motherly (as hinted by the OP) or of seeing so much of themselves in each other does get lost for a while that the after-credits scene became a bit jarring (for a while i thought it was a flashback to Minato's first encounter at night with Masa).

#HayamiLover wrote:
That is, if I understand correctly, the main differences between the anime and the novel are a strong decrease in yaoi bait, the removal of many side characters, the simplification of the plot and the replacement of the main “ship” with another?

i actually find it quite a bit sad that the show has lost fans or gets lambasted for reasons as this when on its own it is a pretty good show with a lot of symbolism as the reviewer has pointed out and lessons about life using kyuudo as a medium.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

not just Seiya/Minato but also how the show decided to make Masa closer to Tommy-sensei. not that i am complaining at all because the dialogue between those two adults were a treat for older viewers of the show too. but i do agree, the Masa/Minato relationship which i see as either motherly (as hinted by the OP) or of seeing so much of themselves in each other does get lost for a while that the after-credits scene became a bit jarring (for a while i thought it was a flashback to Minato's first encounter at night with Masa).

Well, their relationship has a lot of shudo dynamics as such, but I agree that this is a more maternal or mentoring aspect than trying to establish some kind of romance. In any case, as a guy, I want to emphasize that a good role model really is very important at this age. So, I was pleased to see how their relationship partially resonated with my experience in music, when my teacher was only 5-6 years older than me, so I simultaneously looked at him as a role model and reliable older friend. I didn't call him Onii-sama or something like that, don get me wrong Very Happy.

Dernhelm wrote:
actually find it quite a bit sad that the show has lost fans or gets lambasted for reasons as this when on its own it is a pretty good show with a lot of symbolism as the reviewer has pointed out and lessons about life using kyuudo as a medium.

I personally liked this show very much, especially in combination with the resonance I mentioned above. But since I live in a fairly homophobic country, 90% of the discussions of this show consisted of debates about the sexuality of the characters.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
I wanted to wait with reading the spoilers in this thread until after the show finished and while i can understand why some of the novel readers may be disappointed by certain relationships being neglected in favour of others, the actual plot changes didn't seem like much of a loss...if anything, the novel seems to be even more over-dramatic and there already was too much drama in the anime for my taste. As for the lack of kyudo talk, i guess there just wasn't enough time in 12 eps. and well, let's facte it, you can only pack that much theorizing in anime before it gets boring...

Overall, i really enjoyed this show, i liked most of the characters, there were some clichés but also a lot fun and/or emotional moments and it certainly looked pretty. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I wanted to wait with reading the spoilers in this thread until after the show finished

I did that too. But after reading them I'm left wondering how people expected all that (even without the technical stuff) to be crammed into a 13 episode anime without it being crazy rushed or dumping other parts instead, which would have still provoked the same complaints. It looks to me like some things got changed around to accommodate the omissions and close the resulting narrative gaps, while keeping the story fluid and sensible. I think they did a pretty good job of adapting it given the time constraints.
AA751

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I did that too. But after reading them I'm left wondering how people expected all that (even without the technical stuff) to be crammed into a 13 episode anime without it being crazy rushed or dumping other parts instead, which would have still provoked the same complaints. It looks to me like some things got changed around to accommodate the omissions and close the resulting narrative gaps, while keeping the story fluid and sensible. I think they did a pretty good job of adapting it given the time constraints.

That there is the problem. 13 episodes. I always had a bad feeling about it. It's why I gave it a 6 rating because Kyoani didn't want to invest time in the adaptation, obviously not a priority. Probably too busy marketing all their Free merchandise.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Probably too busy marketing all their Free merchandise.

Rolling Eyes

Did Free! insult your mother or something or where does that deep-seated grudge come from?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
@AA751 Well, as I recall, they haven't created 20+ TV shows already 5 or 10 years. Apparently this is somehow related to the fact that since 2008-2009 the majority of their show is an adaptation of LN with 1-2 volumes.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
I personally liked this show very much, especially in combination with the resonance I mentioned above.

same here, i was surprised to find myself relating to some of the characters and understanding why they are the way they are or act a certain way. it's like i saw a bit of myself in Seiya in handling frustrations with people i know while closely being in Masa's position now the most acting like a guardian with so many young people looking up to me but then my work now is most similar to his brother Ren Laughing

nonetheless, i appreciate movies or series that are not your run-of-the-mill kind of sports entertainment choosing to focus on an obscure sport that uses it as a medium to give life lessons. because kyuudo's philosophy and much of Japanese sports i believe (like kendo or martial arts) is a lot more personal and less on fussing about the competition, i can easily understand why the adaptation has decided to turn it into the way it is. i know the show gets a lot of hate for departing from many on-the-surface elements of the original source material but i think at its core they both retained the same heart. personally i feel that it made the light novels stronger, enhanced it even and gave it a more enlightening edge. i really loved how subtle and meditative the show was, to the point of being poetic with a lot of symbolisms here and there waiting to be caught on by the viewers. maybe it was intentional, to help people Japanese or otherwise to relax from the stresses of the world and say 'Hey, you're okay and doing alright'. my only gripe maybe is that the series decided not to really tackle grief and the dark things and painful truths that come with coping with it. who knows maybe hopefully if there is a season two, they will and that should give it the punch that its story needs.
Jin_Uzuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
13 episodes are more than enough for Tsurune really, the novel is short and really dry on details (It's a light novel with a very "my very first short piece" feeling). It's just that they chose to focus on different things for some reason.

Can't say I'm a fan of them prioritizing Seiya character over Masaki, which is way more interesting and one of the pillars of the novel (Especially because it's a show about archery, and Seiya just isn't into archery as much Minato and Masaki are).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6