Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Too Much Fanservice Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Story?


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mr. sickVisionz



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 2100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the two most recent episodes yet but up to now it hasn't really be a show about fanservice. Or it's been really mild. It would have to be two pretty extreme episodes that are borderline porn imo to negate everything up up to that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kendra Kirai



Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 187
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the only fanservice I noticed was only in the swimsuit episode, which is VERY MUCH recontextualized by the FOLLOWING episode.

Akane has been remaking the world for [strike]15,532 loops[/strike] a long, long time, and she made the river area *specifically* for the trip.

It was calculated, to suss out who Gridman was, by getting everyone to relax and let their guards down, and it worked perfectly. The only problem with her plan was that she doesn't know that Yuto isn't SINGULARLY Gridman.

She's an absolute mess, but she's very, very clever and calculating, despite her outbursts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13048
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I do wonder what those fan service moments are like for the simuldub voice actors and actresses when they record.


you should watch The Testament of Sister New Devil and hear experienced and well respected actresses like Wendee Lee and Cindy Robinson doing some reeeeally sexy noises(hell,the OVA of season 2 is basically just about Wendee Lee moaning and doing sexy voices for the entire episode...I have to say,for someone who is almost 60,she still got it...),though Cindy Robinson has actually done hentai,so this must have been peace of cake to her in comparisson...


I have seen TToSND dubbed (both seasons). Heck, if the entire light novel series got an adaptation, unless, they watered it down (not a good word choice here, but still), it would be hard core XXX.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexZero



Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 462
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
You have one token beach episode and people lose their respective minds about fan service....

Is this really how low we've gone ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MiloTheFirst



Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Does Too Much Fanservice Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Story?

wait... what? Gridman has a story? but seriously though, the direction might be ok but some people really are giving this show way more credit than it deserves. from my perspective, it is nowhere near as deep as Micchy and Andy make it out to be, presenting out some ideas doesn't automatically mean the series is good at handling them. so far the show seems to lazy and whimsical to entice me into taking them seriously, and I don't mean the fanservice, the whole narration seems unfocused and every development seems tailored around the need to sell some toy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MiloTheFirst



Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
You have one token beach episode and people lose their respective minds about fan service....

Is this really how low we've gone ?


I don't mind fan service, but if you ask me the beach episode actually had the least amount of gratuitous feet/tight framing, so I don't think anyone criticizing fan service in this show is basing their arguments in it having a beach episode


even when I don't mind sexy content content in my anime, I am more bothered by the fact that they are trying to sell T&A in the same show as kid toys
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MesousaGaby



Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I just wish that there was more thicc male fanservice.

I mean, Trigger actually did great male fanservice in Kill La Kill, but with Darling In The Franxx, they were all "EW, GUYS AREN'T SEXY", and it just feels like they're incredibly heterosexual now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverConvex
Subscriber



Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 1073
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Castin' my lot in with both the folks who're unimpressed with the story/its ideas. I don't mind the fan-service; although it doesn't seem to be a part of the ideas the show cares about, and is a little distracting from them, I don't think the show's done a very good job conveying its ideas anyway, so I have trouble seeing that as a big loss.

Ignoring any substance to its ideas, though, the show is very well-executed and quite polished. Still really enjoyable as a schlocky kaiju beat-em-up even if it doesn't seem like it's gonna pull off its loftier ambitions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VerQuality



Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 114
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
even when I don't mind sexy content content in my anime, I am more bothered by the fact that they are trying to sell T&A in the same show as kid toys


Not only is that a ludicrous argument in itself (like complaining about the graphic content and dark themes of Gundam when its meant to sell kids model kits), you are outright mistaking the audience they're aiming for. It's toyetic, sure, but only in the sense that it's a love letter to the tokusatsu shows (which are themselves made to sell toys) the staff and audience enjoyed in their youth. For a better sense of the audience, look at Akane and her collection: not toys, but highly detailed models clearly aimed at the fan that has considerable stable income (one would hope from a proper job, rather than whatever source of money a high-schooler comes by to get a collection of that size).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MiloTheFirst



Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:
even when I don't mind sexy content content in my anime, I am more bothered by the fact that they are trying to sell T&A in the same show as kid toys


Not only is that a ludicrous argument in itself (like complaining about the graphic content and dark themes of Gundam when its meant to sell kids model kits), you are outright mistaking the audience they're aiming for. It's toyetic, sure, but only in the sense that it's a love letter to the tokusatsu shows (which are themselves made to sell toys) the staff and audience enjoyed in their youth. For a better sense of the audience, look at Akane and her collection: not toys, but highly detailed models clearly aimed at the fan that has considerable stable income (one would hope from a proper job, rather than whatever source of money a high-schooler comes by to get a collection of that size).


I understand your argument, but I think you are missing the context. first, I am aware there is an adult market for model kits, which is very self explanatory by the price tags on such "toys", but there is something very different in a highly detailed gundam and a robot that gets an upgrade from a transforming truck, speaking of gundam, you can tell that show is not aimed at kids by how serious it takes its own themes (not that I have watched all or even most gundams but what I have seen goes along these lines) which isn't the case here, the in-world atmosphere is so wacky one would find it difficult to believe it specifically demands for an adult's attention. take for instance how nonchalant Rikka's mother is about her daughter hanging out with a bunch of socially inept adult weirdos in suits.

If your point is that the show is straight out meant for adults and it mimicking the blatant toy advertisement is just part of the nostalgia factor, I can perfectly understand that. however, I have doubts regarding whether it really is the case, it seems to me more as if they are appealing to both audiences at the same time, which makes sense in a business standpoint, this is corroborated by their choice in fanservice, their focus on feet and tights rather than the more common sex appeal, gives them a case for being safe for younger audiences. my point is, if their objective is to homage tokusatsu then why include fan service at all? (because they lack confidence in the strength of their show?) either way they did, then if their audience was strictly adult why the need to tone it down? hence why I hold my reservations
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BringBackUzume



Joined: 01 Jun 2013
Posts: 160
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
There is not enough Fanservice in this show. I need more thighs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slusheep



Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:

I understand your argument, but I think you are missing the context. first, I am aware there is an adult market for model kits, which is very self explanatory by the price tags on such "toys", but there is something very different in a highly detailed gundam and a robot that gets an upgrade from a transforming truck, speaking of gundam, you can tell that show is not aimed at kids by how serious it takes its own themes (not that I have watched all or even most gundams but what I have seen goes along these lines) which isn't the case here, the in-world atmosphere is so wacky one would find it difficult to believe it specifically demands for an adult's attention. take for instance how nonchalant Rikka's mother is about her daughter hanging out with a bunch of socially inept adult weirdos in suits.

If your point is that the show is straight out meant for adults and it mimicking the blatant toy advertisement is just part of the nostalgia factor, I can perfectly understand that. however, I have doubts regarding whether it really is the case, it seems to me more as if they are appealing to both audiences at the same time, which makes sense in a business standpoint, this is corroborated by their choice in fanservice, their focus on feet and tights rather than the more common sex appeal, gives them a case for being safe for younger audiences. my point is, if their objective is to homage tokusatsu then why include fan service at all? (because they lack confidence in the strength of their show?) either way they did, then if their audience was strictly adult why the need to tone it down? hence why I hold my reservations


Gridman airs around 3am in Japan, so I can strongly say the intended audience isn't children. I don't think the focus on feet/stockings is an attempt to have tame fanservice so much as it is very much a fetish held by someone involved in the production, and they are merely indulging themselves in its creation. There are similar elements in this vein, like the constant Transformers references or the inclusion of background characters taken from a yuri novella Akira Amemiya wrote last year. The staff are simply throwing things they enjoy into this show for the fun of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MiloTheFirst



Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
slusheep wrote:

Gridman airs around 3am in Japan, so I can strongly say the intended audience isn't children.


well, I guess you got me there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Afezeria



Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 817
Location: Malaysia, Kuantan.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not into the anime at all currently and was interested in seeing it at first, but then I learned how people are basically promoting this show because it's "thicc", which is much to my annoyance. I don't personally like female characters that went to the top of the popularity board due to how sexy she was, and due to how this show contained just that and just about everytime this show was promoted was due to it's fanservice, I was heavily turned off, though that also having to do with my dislike for heterosexual focused fanservice. I don't mind T&S if it's among other girls only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
Subscriber



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 14484
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Fanservice should be a problem, when there is no real purpose to it, in context, I think there is good explanation of why fanservice has been pretty heavy for fanservice. First mistake one could have with thinking of the reveal is that Akane built the world from scratch, the question has already been put forward for why would god attend a school. Instead, based on her reclusive and geek side that we have seen, I feel that it is much more likely that Akane already was in a similar world to this one, only she was probably the type to be bullied and bottom of the totem pole, with the exception that Rokka had probably started to reach out to her. The way Rokka remembers a relationship with Akane, seems kind of contradictory if Akane was always the popular girl. It has to be relatively newer where Akane created this world and rewrote her own existence as someone really popular, so she could show up the "normies", and I think this is a reasonable reason her sexiness is on display, she made this world in image of the old, as a fantasy, where she is the centre.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group