• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Crunchyroll and Funimation Divorce?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This is also not the first time Funimation has produced Spanish dubs of anime. I recall at one point Funimation released Spanish only dub single volume DVDs of DBZ in the US.
Melon.and.Grape.Soda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
If Sony want Funimation to make dubs in Klingon language, Funimation will have to make them, also.

Okay not gonna lie, that made me chuckle a bit. But you have a fair argument tbh. However, I doubt they'll make them unless instructed.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This is also not the first time Funimation has produced Spanish dubs of anime. I recall at one point Funimation released Spanish only dub single volume DVDs of DBZ in the US.

That dub was actually produced by Cloverway (yeah, THAT Cloverway) but it's true, FUNi did release parts of that dub here but on more than one occasion as there was also the trilingual Cooler's Revenge and canceled Ultimate Uncut DVDs.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Funimation belongs to Sony, so everything comes to what Sony want to make with Funimation. If Sony want Funimation to make dubs in Klingon language, Funimation will have to make them, also.

"Zoom, zoom, joH laqtel 'orwi!" Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Funimation belongs to Sony, so everything comes to what Sony want to make with Funimation. If Sony want Funimation to make dubs in Klingon language, Funimation will have to make them, also.

"Zoom, zoom, joH laqtel 'orwi!" Laughing

Except Paramount Pictures, CBS, approved licensors own the Star Trek IP rights.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's been stated on pretty much every ANN article about it but they haven't said yet what titles these are. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-18/funimation-crunchyroll-end-content-sharing-partnership/.138330
Quote:
Crunchyroll also noted that a number of titles will leave both services, and that the companies will update later on which titles will be impacted.

I believe you are misinterpreting that statement, although given the way it is worded, it is understandable. That statement could also be interpreted to mean both services would be losing titles, as opposed to some titles being lost by both services. Based on what I've seen stated on the services themselves, I believe the latter interpretation to be the correct one.

As an example of what was actually stated by CR, here is one statement from the announcement posted in the CR Site News forum:
Quote:
However, a list of select catalog titles licensed via Funimation will be leaving Crunchyroll - likewise, the Funimation catalog will also be impacted. That list is currently being finalized between both parties, and we will share impacted titles with you as available.

It appears ANN summarized the statement, but in the process made it more ambiguous.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
JustStopPlz wrote:
So for seasonal anime we'll now have Netflix, Amazon, Sony(Funimation), AT&T(Crunchyroll), and Sentai fight for shows. No prizes for pointing out which of these is not like the others.

The 4 non-Netflix companies know how what many anime fans want: weekly simulcasts. I trust them over Netlflix easily. Also, though very uncommon, sometimes official YT channels have weekly simulcasts.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They said certain titles would not be returning to either site but I haven't seen a list yet of what those titles are.

When did they every say that?

I can think of only 3 titles that applies to. One was formerly a Funimation title, but was on CR from Aniplex (but for some reason was still removed at the same time), and two others were titles Funimation's rights for had expired earlier this year (and therefore probably should have been removed from CR at the same time).

I don't recall them saying that both would be losing some titles as a result of this, and I can't think of a reason why that would happen. Both had titles that were theirs going into it that were shared during the partnership, but now they've separated those. Funimation did mention that it would lose a "handful" of shows from its service since those were CR licensed beforehand, but that is the only thing I can think of. Looking at the list, I'd say it was more than a "handful," and it was somewhat surprising to find out that even things Funimation dubbed, like Relife and Brave Witches, left, but I can't think of anything that outright disappeared. Like AncientOne said, both lost shows from their individual service, but they just transferred back to the original license holder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5