• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation President: 'We Tried to Renew Deal with Crunchyroll'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This could be an unpopular opinion, but I always saw the Crunchyroll-Funimation partnership as an ugly aberration; they are supposed to be competitors. I am very glad that both companies are going they separated ways, and I wish them success.

At times even competitors can work together. I am curious as to how the Funi/CR marriage would have lasted had they not gotten a respective buy-out from Sony Pictures and AT&T.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
What does international in this case mean, will Funi stream in these countries, or will they also start having their distributions in these countries. Currently in the UK they have released some titles, though through another publisher.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
That does at least make sense. A partnership isn't going to work very well if one wants to expand and the other wants to maintain things as they are. I know I've seen plenty of people complain that Funimation is pretty limited regionally, so dealing with that matched up better with Sony's existing plans to expand.

I can't say I'm too bothered by the prospect of Funimation shows potentially not making their way to Toonami. I have a subscription, so those ended up being repeats for me outside of Super and Attack on Titan. Honestly, it might work out better for me since Attack on Titan's simuldub was delayed for seasons 2 and 3 because they had to wait for it to premier on Toonami, even when Toonami would take a break for holidays.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sucks, I was a big fan of Crunchyrolls dubs, in so sick and tired of he same 10 voice actors Funimation has, with their cringey ass voices.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall Crunchyroll spokespeople on Twitter saying that it wasn't Crunchyroll's decision to pull out of the deal and that it was Funimation's decision.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Sucks, I was a big fan of Crunchyrolls dubs, in so sick and tired of he same 10 voice actors Funimation has, with their cringey ass voices.

You do realize that the vast majority of "Crunchyroll dubs" have been produced by Funimation, right?

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I seem to recall Crunchyroll spokespeople on Twitter saying that it wasn't Crunchyroll's decision to pull out of the deal and that it was Funimation's decision.

Both companies are probably lying or not telling the whole truth.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Seems like no one here is reading between the lines here. CEOs are not Hollywood stars, even Steve Jobs (which had quite a lot of fans) did not made this kind of interviews to promote himself since a job of the CEO is to promote the company, a product or service and the interview Gen Fukunaga gave Polygon and Newsweek serves neither, he is not even giving details of the so called "global expansion" or any clear and present benefits Funimation subscribers have atm thanks to the divorce. He seems to be trying to convince people that his recent business decisions are correct, but to me it seems that the people he is trying to convince are the high executives at Sony. So I would not be surprised if in the near future we hear that Gen has been demoted or fired.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This is pure speculation, but reading in-between the lines, here's how I imagine this went down.

Sony acquires Funimation and tells them they need to distribute their shows globally. Funimation goes to CR and says that they want to continue the partnership, but only if CR will support them with moving towards global rights. CR balks at this, they want to continue the partnership as it was, they don't have the global rights to all of their shows anyways, and say they won't do it under those conditions. This works for Sony anyways, they'll just handle funimation's distribution on their own without working with ostensible competitors.

Both companies now get to claim the other company pulled out of the deal.

Bottom line though, I think these two companies are now trying to move in different directions, and were no longer motivated to compromise to make an already kinda awkward deal work.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The veracity of those tweets is questionable, but that still lines up with what Fukunaga says here. Funi essentially wanted to renegotiate the terms of the partnership - likely to allow them to get streaming/distribution rights outside of their current one - for shows they'd be licensing with CR going forward. CR rejecting those terms isn't the same as pulling out of the partnership, so it was ultimately Funi's decision to leave, just for a different reason than a lot of folks may have thought.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Dunno. Something *still* doesn't quite add up to me about that. Whatever. It still sucks imo.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Something that doesn't add up to me with the theory Crunchyroll was opposed to Funimation expanding globally is that Crunchyroll already does stream globally in a lot of countries Funimation doesn't and Crunchyroll was already beginning to make Spanish dubs of some shows.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
I do find it funny that international expansion was apparently the breaking point for the FUNiroll partnership, and yet their new bed buddy is Hulu...a service that literally only works in the US unless you have a VPN. Laughing

True, but with Disney becoming the majority shareholders in the near future, that’s subject to change very soon.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Both companies are probably lying or not telling the whole truth.

I don't see either statement contradicts the other.

Funimation says they tried to renew the deal...but on different terms.

CR says Funimation made the decision to end the deal, which they indeed did, after CR refused to change the terms.

Reading between the lines, it doesn't seem Funimation offered anything in exchange for the change in terms, except continuing the partnership.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Something that doesn't add up to me with the theory Crunchyroll was opposed to Funimation expanding globally is that Crunchyroll already does stream globally in a lot of countries Funimation doesn't and Crunchyroll was already beginning to make Spanish dubs of some shows.

CR is producing a couple international dubs, so maybe they didn't want Funi encroaching on that.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
slimertheghost wrote:
The only thing I liked, or cared about in this relationship is that Funi was releasing titles for Crunchy on blu ray. Now that the partnership is over I’m concerned about who will do this for Crunchy in the future.

Before the FuniRoll deal, Crunchyroll had a short-lived deal with Discotek to release their shows. It's why there's a weird sub-only DVD release of the first season of Free. There may be some issues with shows where Funimation directly produced the dub for a show that Crunchyroll has the master license to...and there's a second season for now. Also it'll be kind of fun to see what happens with Free season 1 in the long run.

But if Crunchyroll wants to stay in the home video market, they'll easily be able to find someone to team up with. Maybe Sentai, or like mentioned before, an arrangement through one of the AT&T family of companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4