• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Conventions... [inb New Englang]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagakure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I have never been to a convention, and I was wondering if there are any cons in the New England area (Massachussets, Connecticut, New York) Preferably in the Connecticut area or adjacent to it.

Thanks.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, as far as New York goes, there's always the NY branch of AnimeExpo, as well as the Big Apple Anime Fest. If anyone knows of anything else, please let us know. I'll be up there for school next year, so I'll need to go to these places to clear my head of academic stuff. Very Happy
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:46 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Well, as far as New York goes, there's always the NY branch of AnimeExpo, as well as the Big Apple Anime Fest. If anyone knows of anything else, please let us know. I'll be up there for school next year, so I'll need to go to these places to clear my head of academic stuff. :D

Lemme think...

Anime North is in Toronto...
ShoujoCon is in New Jersey..
BAAF and AXNY are in NYC.
There's something called 'Anime Next' in NJ too.

FansView also lists something called Port Con Maine, but that's a little far north...

There was something called "New England Mini-Con" in 2001.. up in Maine again...

Oh, how could I forget? Mikkakan: http://www.mikkakan.org/
In New Hampshire...

In 2000 there was something up in Albany (*digs and finds link*): http://www.albany.edu/~anime/con/ .... nothing since then, tho. :(

There's also the Canadian National Anime Expo in Toronto (not the same as Anime North?)

There really isn't much else that I'm aware of, although I'm probably missing out on a few cons... There are probably also some cons that have anime video rooms and things to do, but are Sci-Fi or Fantasy cons instead. I wouldn't know where to look for those.

I know AnthroCon, for example, has a decent number of anime fans. Dunno if they do anything anime-related there, but I've been meaning (since 1997) to attend it. (Likewise, I've been meaning to attend NekoCon since 1998.. but it ain't gonna happen. not even this year.. v_v)

[EDIT]
All the cons I mentioned above are small... anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand visitors.

Small cons and large cons have significantly different feels about them.

If you want a large con, try Otakon this summer (in Baltimore, MD) -- it's the 2nd largest con in the US. Hopefully this year they'll be more organized, now that their new staffers have had some experience under their belt.. (Last year... well, let's not talk about last year.)

So, uhm. Yeah.
[/EDIT]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagakure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

If you want a large con, try Otakon this summer (in Baltimore, MD) -- it's the 2nd largest con in the US. Hopefully this year they'll be more organized, now that their new staffers have had some experience under their belt.. (Last year... well, let's not talk about last year.)

Is Otakon in the Baltimore Convention Center? I'm going to be there around the end of June, so maybe I could go to Otakon... What days does it run this year?

Thanks Cookie!
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:04 am Reply with quote
If you're in the Boston area then keep your eyes open for these:

Arisia
January of every year (usually towards the end of the month)
Park Plaza Hotel
3 day fantasy convention that recently broke into anime.
They had a room dedicated to anime last year which was showing anime non-stop for 3 days with a wide range of titles to pick from.
www.arisia.org

Vericon
January of Every Year (usually the weekend or 2 weekends after Arisia)
Harvard Yard (Harvard College, Cambridge, MA)
3 day game convention that has an anime wing
Vericon is, primarily, a gamers convention. SJ Games and Cheapass games are well represented, along with a slew of RPG's, LARP's, CCG's, and dice games.
They do have an anime section. They even had an AMV contest last year.
www.vericon.org

AnimeBoston 2003
April 18-20th, 2003
Park Plaza Hotel in Boston
3 day anime convention
Check the site out: www.animeboston.com
It's still in the works but this appears to be Boston's first real anime convention. The dealers room is already full. Buy the tickets now while they're still cheap.

Noreascon4 (Worldcon) 2004
Labor Day Weekend, Sept. 2 - 6, 2004
This convention will take over the Hynes Convention Center, The Boston Sheraton Hotel, and the Copley Marriott Hotel (they don't call it Worldcon for nothing)
Details are slow in coming but that's due to the fact that the convention is 2+ years away. However, seeing as I, along with a group called BostonGamers are running the games for this convention, I am attending the meetings and I can tell you that big things will be happening.
Worldcon is, primarily, a sci-fi convention. To be even more specific, it is a sci-fi book convention. They want to branch out this year. Sci-fi isn't just about books and they know that. The chairwoman is very adament about getting anime and games involved in the convention. Past Worldcons have handled those two areas very poorly in the past and she doesn't want that to happen this time. I guarantee that there will be Big Eyes Small Mouth RPG's and maybe even some LARP's in the mix.
If you've want to see a game there (it won't be limited to just sci-fi either, I'm planning on having all types of games there) let me know as I'm the head of the sub-committee for games at that convention.
The site for Noreascon4 is: www.boston2004.com

Please, buy the tickets now for that convention while they are still cheap. The price will go up as time goes on. Final projected price for the ticket is $200 - $250. Until June 20th, it is only $120. That's for 5 days so $25 a day isn't that bad.
You can buy them on-line at the website.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

There's also the Canadian National Anime Expo in Toronto (not the same as Anime North?)

CN Anime and Anime North are indeed two different conventions.
Shounen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
If you want a large con, try Otakon this summer (in Baltimore, MD) -- it's the 2nd largest con in the US.

I thought that Otakon was now the largest in the US. I don't remember where I heard that but I think it is.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Shounen wrote:
Cookie wrote:
If you want a large con, try Otakon this summer (in Baltimore, MD) -- it's the 2nd largest con in the US.

I thought that Otakon was now the largest in the US. I don't remember where I heard that but I think it is.

I live in Baltimore but I never knew Otakon was so big until a few weeks ago. Admission is only 40 dollars so I'll probably go. In another post I heard Otakon did have higher attendence than Anime Expo, but I can't be entirely sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Shounen wrote:
Cookie wrote:

Did ya not notice that this thread is TWO YEARS old? Things change in two years. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
FansView also lists something called Port Con Maine, but that's a little far north...

Hey, I hit Portcon every year. It's a small one, but it's getting bigger, in 2002 (the first year, and the year Cookie made that post) we had 200 attendees, in 2003 it was 400, in 2004 over 800, and next year the con is being moved to bigger venue, South Portland Sheraton, as the old venue sets the limit at 1000 and much more than that are expect in 2005!

But yeah, that is a bit too far out of the way, I'm amazed how far people actually travel for Portcon. Then again Maine is "Vacationland" so I imagine many of them are tourists who come for the con and spend the rest of the week site seeing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qollocust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Anime Next is in Jearsey, but literally, right outside NYC. If you can get transportation to the city, you can get to Anime Next. It was a small, but a nice size.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Seeing as this old thread is dug up, might as well look at what a difference two years makes.

Anime Boston has since started and been freaking huge. Personally it's my favorite con. Hopefully it will stay good at the new location. Otakon is good, but I think Anime Boston is keeping up with it. Though they couldn't allow the numbers the first two years, so I hope they can keep things up next year with the bigger capacity.

Then again, compared to Baltimore, I think Boston is simply a better area for a con. Hell, there's a 24-hour Krispy Kreame shop in the same buildings as the con! Baltimore had a CVS that closed at like 7PM. Plus there's simply the greatest pizza place a few blocks from the con (and right next to my building) that is open till 2AM. Ah, God bless the college town. Which reminds me, for otaku over 21, Boston has a ton of liquor stores and bars.

Before Anime Boston, I had also been to Arisia at the same location and that is a great small fan run con. Though it was very low on the anime aspect. Anime Boston has since made up for that lack of anime con in the area ten fold.

As for Anime Next, I didn't care for it. I think part of this is the crowd skewed much younger than any con I have ever been to. I felt old.

-Xenos
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1