• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rosario + Vampire Dub VA Jamie Marchi Alleges Mignogna Grabbed, Pulled Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, he's specifically calling out people defending him by making threats of violence. That's a pretty important qualifier to leave out.

Edit: Holy crud, Errinundra versus this thread's Reply count! Watching it bounce up and down is weirdly entertaining.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
More posts deleted. Victim blaming isn't the way to go about things.

least your fair about it, you even deleted my post defending jamie Razz..Ill stand by it though and still say there is no reason for them too lie.
Junko666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:

I do question as to why my post was deleted when I wasn't taking anybody's side or blaming anybody. Only talking about pov from both sides of the argument.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Errinundra wrote:

least your fair about it, you even deleted my post defending jamie Razz..Ill stand by it though and still say there is no reason for them too lie.

You quoted a post you weren't to know would be deleted.

More reminders to people: don't disparage victims, avoid links to dubious twitter accounts and no conspiracy theories.

And, I'm not the topic of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I find it weird that out of all Jamie's many, many roles ANN picked Rosario + Vampire. A lot of other choices out there. Good ones too. Although I understand Panty & Stocking for the subject line would sorta diminish the article, just R+V doesn't fair much better.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
My first thought about the headline was that a casual anime fan would perhaps be most likely to recognize Rosario + Vampire, but I would argue that DxD is certainly more popular as "baby's first ecchi" nowadays, so... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel honestly sorry for Ms. Marchi for having to deal with that horrible experience.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I have awoken from a coma into a fantasy world, like some sort of bastardized Isekai.

In the early to mid 2000s, you had to be careful when in the dealer room that you weren't paying too much for knock offs. If you were a cosplayer, you had to be cautious both of creepy photographers and those who would use pictures of you inappropriately. Drama of cosplay groups "trying to make it big" while airing out their dirty laundry publicly was always a cringy yet guilty pleasure to watch. And certain conventions had certain patrons and guests you wanted to be careful of or around, for one reason or another. One such guest was the voice actor Vic Mignogna, who was derided by detractors by how hands-on he was with his fans. This wasn't some sort of secret. But what could be done? Most of his fans weren't complaining, even if they were far too young to be having a guy who was (at that time) in his late 40's kissing them and making auggestive in-character comments at them. Convention staff was usually more concerned with what an overbearing convention rockstar he was than stepping in and getting involved. And if someone said something, they were just misunderstood. This is just how this voice actor was. If he grabs an ass or gets a little too friendly, well, it's an anime convention, what do you expect? Loosen up a little. On occassion Vict would grand stand with something resembling an apology, but then he was right back at it at the next convention.

So people would instead post about these complaints across a number of forums and services. Someof those stories are easily searched for today. Others require the use of the internet's way back machine. But the complaints are there, and apparently continued ling after I stopped following conventions and started chasing other passions and dreams.

And it isn't conventions that step in and stop this man from appearing, but two of his contracted employers who step in and make the decision to finally, after 15 years, react. These aged allegations get something of a serious look...

And the reaction of people active in the fandom is almost overwhelmingly "Vic? Never! He is such a nice guy. When has he ever been known to act this way? Clearly all these accusations are faceless and baseless, the result of a ten year old campaign to smear this hard working, conservative Christian voice actor." Also a lot of hateful spiteful comments towards women, people who aren't white, and non-player characters (?).

15 years ago, it was con knowledge that Vic was a hands on guy and his fans were young enough to make that creepy, but it was "OK" because, you know, anime. Now he is some sort of pariah and the mob is out to get him and maybe if we act like the vilest pieces of excrement we can to all our detractors, we can Make Anime Great Again and save Vic's employability in the process.

What timeline am I living in?
Sailor Maria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
To all the people defending Vic, try to consider THIS before you do so:

https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762

That's right. The person you're trying to defend by instead attacking others, is instead defending those other people from people like you. And let's be honest - any sane person would agree with him in this instance.

Why did you post evidence of Vic being a good guy if the tone of your post seems to be condemning him? Confused But on the same subject Jamie Marchi and her fans have yet to apologize or denounce death threats. Jamie's call for Vic Mignogna's death and wanting him castrated is still on her timeline. That's the kind of person you're defending.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I believe most of the acusations against Vic and once again all the stories are misdemeanor level if at all criminal. No one is going to jail for any of this crap. <snip> There are many people on Twitter comparing the guy to the Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, and the Bill Cosby's of the world. These people actually drugged, tried and raped people. These Vic Mignogna acusations are not even close. This is why I support the guy. He's made an apology for the uncomfortable interactions with fans. He maybe a Diva in the recording booth, but many actors have certain amount of ego. Some are just bigger than others. The current con cancellations are fair, but he shouldnt lose his career and be black balled because of it.

[Edit]: removed sarcasm directed at victims. Errinundra.

Its really easy to take the most extreme vitriol over Vic's actions and amplify it and blow it out of proportion. So instead of looking at the few people on twitter calling him a Spacey, Cosby, or Weinstein. Why don't we just look at the things that Vic has done and has been called out on by actual people.

For starters, we can say that his interactions with his fans, while risque and a little obnoxious, so far hasn't amounted more than mild sexual harassment, if that.

Sharing his cellphone number with underaged fans, is a little alarming, and we don't know if it went beyond that.

Now let's look at the Neil situation. Rough horseplay? Yes, it was rude, obnoxious and could have injured someone. Should that kind of behavior be tolerated? Well only if he and the other participant were in on the thing, but it appears that Vic does not seem to think ahead and ask, he just acts it out like the convention is his stage and the people are props. Behavior like that should at least be addressed and reprimanded.

Now we need to get to Jessie Pridemoore and Jamie Marchi. Let's assume they are telling the truth. What do we make of a person who pulls a grown adult by the hair and then utters sexual comments at them? That's inexcusable behavior, that's not a "diva" who got upset because their contract stipulated that all green m&ms be removed from their candy bowl. Its vicious, is bullying, its violent, and its sexual harassment.

Keep in mind, that's just two women, we still have not heard from Monica Rial, who is still trying to prepare to tell her story. It could be the same, or it could be even worse.

Vic let his fame get to his head, and he acted on his worst impulses and insecurities and let it out on at least two victims, with a third possible one. I think by now, Vic needs to take a break. Is it fair for him to not having another appearance at a con? Well gee, ask Jessie and Jamie if its fair to be told to share the same convention space near a guy that physically assaulted them.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Another story about Vic but still no news posted about the allegations that have been leveled at Todd Haberkorn and Neil Kaplan. Surely they are news worthy as well.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
SpaceDuckMan wrote:
Sorry, But ever since it was shown that evidence is being faked on purpose to get Vic into trouble, and then the two big previous accusations being false in the past, I can't take this crap seriously anymore, Congrats it's now "The Boy who Cried Wolf".

First of all, nothing has been shown proving allegations were fake. A Facebook account that was only a couple of days old joined a private Facebook group and tried to get people to agree to fake evidence against Vic. This was all AFTER ANN’s story. Every single person in that group that responded refused and said it was scummy to suggest it.

Then this person took photos oh these posts and used it as evidence of what exactly? That people in that group had more integrity than they did? How does people refusing to make up evidence or photoshop pictures prove anything? If anything, it makes the young Facebook account look even more suspicious.

I’m sorry, I know you want to believe Vic didn’t do anything wrong, but that’s no the smoking gun you are looking for.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
I keep hearing the argument, "teach boys not to rape" but maybe there needs to be a "teach girls to report in a timely matter".

The main reason the "teach boys not to rape" argument has been coming up more recently is because previously girls were already the ones being taught to modify their behavior. There's a long history of shrugging off much of what boys do - the standard "boys will be boys" - while girls are much more monitored.

... and sadly, many people do report, but just aren't believed or nothing is done. A previous article even quoted a VA saying she reported him multiple times and nothing happened. In regards to sexual harassment in general, some authority figures with the power to stop it will even dismiss it with things like "but he or she is showing affection towards you! You should be happy for the attention!" This seems even more amplified if the individual being accused is locally famous.

Last edited by Terrible90sDub on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Derpinat0rz wrote:
get this alleged shitty crap off ANN. i hate coming into the site. and reading about stuff like this. im not saying that its good whatever its in the article. isn't this supposed to be "ANIMEnews" and not scandal's about what people did the evil things.

you guys already targeted a guy. And someone had to make a whole [expletive] video to defend him. And i'm not trying to target anyone or ANN. I just don't want this site to turn into the next celebrity scandal site. I came here for Anime News.
we’re talking about someone who was once a big name in the anime voice acting world and another big name in the anime voice acting world sharing her story about the other individual. Like it or not this still counts as anime news
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Another story about Vic but still no news posted about the allegations that have been leveled at Todd Haberkorn and Neil Kaplan. Surely they are news worthy as well.

I don't know about Neil (in fact, he had a Vic story of his own), but in regards to the allegations towards Todd I could only imagine ANN is doing their due diligence in terms of making sure that anything that they may publish regarding it is, y'know, up to snuff.

The men and women on this website are professionals. There are procedures that have to be followed, decorum to be respected.

In regards to Jamie's allegations: jeez. Full props to her for coming forward with her story. That takes a lot of bravery on her behalf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10