• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord' Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Concept sounds interesting, but if it's got any unfortunate implications that'll make me feel like I'll end up on a watch list, I won't watch it. And based on how it's similar to Usagi Drops and such, why is it that America is finding stuff like that appropriate and legal to license here?
zenbud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Right then, updated list of existing and upcoming Narou anime is as follows:

Mahouka: Debuted 2008-10-12.
Log Horizon: Debuted 2010-04-13.
Knight's & Magic: Debuted 2010-10-16.
-Isekai Cheat Magician: Debuted 2012-04-06.
Re:Zero: Debuted 2012-04-20.
Isekai Izakaya "Nobu": Debuted 2012-10-18.
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Debuted 2012-10-29.
KonoSuba: Debuted 2012-12-20.
Restaurant to Another World: Debuted 2013-01-04.
Reincarnated as a Slime: Debuted 2013-02-20.
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody: Debuted 2013-03-03.
Isekai Smartphone: Debuted 2013-04-08.
-Eighth Son: Debuted 2013-06-01.
-Arifureta: Debuted 2013-11-07.
-My Next Life as a Villainess: Debuted 2014-07-06.
-UchiMusume: Debuted 2014-08-01.
-The Magi's Grandson: Debuted 2015-01-02.
-So I'm a Spider, So What?: Debuted 2015-05-27.
-Infinite Dendrogram: Debuted 2015-10-10.
-Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!: Debuted 2016-01-14.
-I'll Max Out VIT: Debuted 2016-06-28.
-Demon Lord, Retry!: Debuted 2016-10-10.
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas: Debuted 20??-??-?? (no original URL for the story known, would appreciate if anyone can find a blog post or something that linked to it while it was still online; I can figure out the date from the URL).

I wouldn't bet on anything from before 2013 getting an announcement if it hasn't already, I'm afraid.

There's a list on wikipedia if you want
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shōsetsuka_ni_Narō
Slashman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Concept sounds interesting, but if it's got any unfortunate implications that'll make me feel like I'll end up on a watch list, I won't watch it. And based on how it's similar to Usagi Drops and such, why is it that America is finding stuff like that appropriate and legal to license here?

I'm curious as to why it WOULDN'T be legal to license that in America.

Would it wound too many imaginary children?
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

I'm curious as to why it WOULDN'T be legal to license that in America.

Would it wound too many imaginary children?

The story falls under the "technically, she's legal when they get together" banner and is apparently clean when she's not so it gets a pass.

The squickiness comes due to the fact that this is AIMED at people who get off, or the very least enjoy, this sort of thing; People who tend to do things that have many flesh and blood children being screwed around. I think that keeping it clean while she's underage is actually part of this particular schtick and would be a turn-off to the audience for this if it wasn't.

It's just a waste of a potentially beautiful story.
glgunblade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the Usagi Drop comparison, did people actually read the series?
OK, the end result is the same but it wasn't the gaurdian falling in love the adoptive charge but the other way round.
There wasn't also a hint of any romance at all from the adoptive parent.
OK sure the result is the same but if we want to discuss the shady side of GROOMING, Usagi drop is NOT it.
And I take grooming to mean taking a person, whether of age or not and raising them to be your romantic interest.
None of that is in existence in that series.
And Dale in this from what little I've seen of the first manga adaption certainly didn't take Latina in to groom her either. (Not read the novels either).
Yes, the result is the same, from what little I hear, I'm not sure on actual result. Also might demons and humans grow and age and different rates?
Anyway that's digressing, the main and key point would be the path taken, what happens leading up to the result that's being discussed, and in my opinion this made up story of "grooming" in these series is nothing but, ironically, fantasy (Unless something happens in later volumes where Dale starts doing dubious things but I doubt it).
Now whether it's ok for a guardian to be romantically involved with their charge... Eh well ok, that's a whole can of other worms. I'll leave that one alone... I'm just hear to talk about that one previous point. Rolling Eyes
Lero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
To begin with spoiler[MC doesn't raises the heroine, a couple of Inn owner do. She doesn't sees mc as fatherly figure either.
So congratulations guys you played yourselves over some prejudices Laughing. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4