• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Animator Milton Knight Alleged Victim of Hate Crime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
friedtofu wrote:
"Alleged Victim of Hate Crime"? He was a victim and it was a hate crime. Please reword the title. Using "alleged" downplays and wrongly represents Milton's experiences.

The wording here is meant only to show that the only account we currently have of the crime taking place is Milton's Facebook post. It could be updated in the event that a police report/arrest record/court records are obtained.

Plus with the whole Jussie Smolett hoax reveal still fresh, it's best to play it safe by calling it alleged until 100% confirmed.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
friedtofu wrote:
"Alleged Victim of Hate Crime"? He was a victim and it was a hate crime. Please reword the title. Using "alleged" downplays and wrongly represents Milton's experiences.

The wording here is meant only to show that the only account we currently have of the crime taking place is Milton's Facebook post. It could be updated in the event that a police report/arrest record/court records are obtained.

Plus with the whole Jussie Smolett hoax reveal still fresh, it's best to play it safe by calling it alleged until 100% confirmed.

I wondered if that would come up here with timing. Even that case is taking turns since the feds revealed the CPD's statements are apparently false. (Not surprising.)

I am relieved that there aren't a bunch of people here calling foul, because the reality is that in these times especially, one is significantly more likely to suffer through some racist attack waaay more than they are to fake one. (I've had to go through a few, but not this level yet, knock on wood.)

I hope that he can find a better spot to be in though. It sounds like he's going through a lot, and he needs support and help. Here's hoping he gets as much of both as he deserves.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

GeorgeC wrote:

Depression and bipolar disorder seem to go hand in hand with creativity. There is hardly a major writer or artist that doesn't have some form of mental illness

That's...complete nonsense. The "crazy artist" stereotype has been disproven plenty of times. Movies and TV tend to interpret famous creatives as being mentally ill because it makes for a more interesting story than "he wrote some books that turned out to be really good, then later he died, the end." So small quirks get exaggerated to the point of caricature. Yes, some artists are mentally ill (a surprising number of people in ANY line of work are mentally ill, but many people learn to hide their illness so it's not always obvious who is suffering from them) but the idea that it's somehow a requirement to work in a creative field is ridiculous. It's just like any other kind of work: some people have the skills or talent for it, so they do it.

The stars must be aligned or something; I just saw a Renegade Cut video on this exact subject: how the “tortured artist” stereotype is utter nonsense, and how Whisper of the Heart is a much more normal depiction of the creative process (and as a creative person myself who deals with a mental illness, I’m inclined to agree with him).
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
I wonder why someone as accomplished as him is living the life he's been living.

GeorgeC wrote:

Depression and bipolar disorder seem to go hand in hand with creativity. There is hardly a major writer or artist that doesn't have some form of mental illness

That's...complete nonsense. The "crazy artist" stereotype has been disproven plenty of times. Movies and TV tend to interpret famous creatives as being mentally ill because it makes for a more interesting story than "he wrote some books that turned out to be really good, then later he died, the end." So small quirks get exaggerated to the point of caricature. Yes, some artists are mentally ill (a surprising number of people in ANY line of work are mentally ill, but many people learn to hide their illness so it's not always obvious who is suffering from them) but the idea that it's somehow a requirement to work in a creative field is ridiculous. It's just like any other kind of work: some people have the skills or talent for it, so they do it.

He/she/they said mental illness, not crazy. You need to understand that difference before you wage war on the conventions of society. He/she/they also did not say either is a requirement to be creative, but it seems to be something you think does. The broad brush you are using to define these terms is not a standard or functional way to classify what is an artist--that is the point of art, it is subjective. It is fair to say we all have these 'quirks' no matter what job we do, and talent plays a big part in how successful we are, but again, subjective as far as our own personal motivations and understanding of success. You are not intending to be offensive with any of your claims, but expressing yourself here sounds biased and ignorant--but again, subjective is my reaction to the narrative you have presented in your post. I'll agree with you up to the point you are idealizing--that stereotypes hurt any type of definition or precendent we set for ourselves, but the terminology you are using to explain it does not carry all of the weight of your arguement.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Knight describes the experience as demoralizing. "It'll be a string of repairs for me. Soon I am going to die. I can't take this any more," he wrote.

This part in particular is... extremely troubling. He needs to get help, fast.
Milton Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
I wonder why someone as accomplished as him is living the life he's been living.

Hello to the board. I followed a news article link here.

It's a very good question, and I'll tell you why. My Hollywood work has long since stopped, and I've been getting along as a freelancer and painter. L.A. rents are skyrocketing out of control. I had my disgusting little hovel for $600, I had a place to work, and "got off" on the fantasy of living like Van Gogh. In fact I got too comfortable, because when I was evicted, there was no place I could afford and tolerate. Single room apartments (which I do not want to do) start at $1600. A space in a bedroom in *apartments full of others*start at $800. Not to mention the fact that to settle anywhere costs 3 months' rent and extras. Conditions are similar in every "hip" city in the US and, I now know, even Vancouver.
Thanks to the internet, the work I am doing I can do from any part of the country. So when an FB friend arranged for this apartment in Bloomington Indiana, I took it. I had to settle somewhere if only to straighten out a little bit. The place is certainly better, but I am still adjusting.
I would rather those two final sentences had not been seen, as in my mind, I was addressing only friends. But such thoughts for me go way, way back. I was just then out of the emergency room after the attack. I am working on them. It will be a lifetime process.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
friedtofu wrote:

Alleged: "Accused but not proven or convicted."

The presumption of innocence is one of the most important parts of our legal system. It has nothing to do with downplaying a crime, it's a preservation of the due process that is every citizen's legal right.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
Milton Knight wrote:

Hello Mr. Knight! Hope you are recovering well.

Are you able to tell us anything about the individual who made the decision to assault you?

Also I am glad to hear you are safe, even in Indiana. Please continue to take care of yourself.
dcmc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
Milton Knight wrote:

Woah,didn't expect Mr.Knight himself to appear here

Be safe&get well soon,Sir.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2