• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WarnerMedia Reorganizes Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, More Under Global Kids & Young Adults Uni

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's interesting how people have been predicting the end of Crunchyroll for like the past several years and those predictions never come true.
Crunchyroll isn't making the decisions anymore and it is the upper management at one of the largest entertainment companies in the world that now makes those decisions. It is a bit early to say that it will result in changes in what content they license but they do mention integration and scale. I don't see anything getting integrated into Crunchyroll but I could see Crunchyroll getting integrated into a Warner branded video service.
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
It's likely this reorganisation is just for the sake of tidiness/focus target demographics and not to effort how the Crunchy roll is run. Big changes might still come but this won't be the reason for it.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:

EDIT: As it's been pointed out, "young adults" are generally people in the 18-30's age range. This was a mistake on my part. I thought young adults were considered much younger. I'm still uncertain that lumping programming for 7-year-olds and 35-year-olds is a good idea, but I'm not running a business, so who knows?

Publishers were stretching the definition of "young adults" when it start calling their novels YA. About the last part, Warner Media run various animation-centric departments, from a production and business standpoint, it make sense that putting them under one umbrella can streamline things better. With Adults Swim and Crunchyroll, I don't think it going to affect their marketing choices though. Adult Swim and Cartoon Network were able to exist on one channel for years and were able to market to two different age groups.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Also Cartoon Network announced a 24 hour Adult Swim network in Canada the exact same day as this so clearly Turner's adult animation isn't going anywhere.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
i never liked when classify the age group of anything i watch, like your immature if your out of the age group. As far as is im concerned you never grow out of it..I'm 31 and i watch a butt load of anime, but late at night i sometimes still watch doug/rugrats/hey arnold on nick, I love myself some little mermaid/lion king and hell even my dad still loved watching looney toons.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with this as long as Crunchyroll doesn't start letting "YA-ness" impact what they want to acquire for streaming.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's interesting how people have been predicting the end of Crunchyroll for like the past several years and those predictions never come true.

Sure, there are some clueless and biased folks who've been predicting the end of Crunchyroll for some years now.

But I didn't predict the end of Crunchyroll. Nobody with any sense would predict that as it's a modestly valuable brand. The question is - will it continue in it's current form? Can it continue in it's present form under it's new management?

Badcrazy wrote:
It's likely this reorganisation is just for the sake of tidiness/focus target demographics and not to effort how the Crunchy roll is run. Big changes might still come but this won't be the reason for it.

People who've been observing corporate media for more than week can trivially predict what is coming. It's roughly as difficult as predicting that the sun will rise on the morrow.

We've seen this all before. We've seen it happen to the Discovery Channel. We've seen it happen to the History Channel. We've seen it happen to Court TV. We've seen it it happen to the Food Network... We've seen it again and again across the last couple of decades.

Corporate media doesn't chase fans. Nor does it chase niches. It chases brands and profits. (And the former are reshaped until they provide the maximum of the latter.)
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Also Cartoon Network announced a 24 hour Adult Swim network in Canada the exact same day as this so clearly Turner's adult animation isn't going anywhere.

That would have been in the works long before the AT&T merger went through so it's possible that the channel could get canceled before it even gets started as a cost savings measure.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
So what evidence do we have of a major change other than people freaking out over the word "kids"?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
They should just rename the unit and the freaking out problem is solved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
If Crunchyroll/VRV's own lack of competence in running a platform hasn't killed them yet then I doubt anything this reorganization does will do much damage. There are so many issues across all their supported devices that go unfixed and half the CR website doesn't work. Private messaging has "disabled" without any cause given for a couple months and you cannot post any new topics on their forums. VRV's channels don't get any updates either, or at least their CR and Hidive channels don't. New content gets added but you have to search for it. They are still promoting the fall simulcasts and we're almost done with the winter season.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Oh god.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2