• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and worst) Anime of Winter 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Where were this objections when he applied the slave seal on Filo?

Wait, when did this ever happen? Yes, Naofumi acquires Filo from the slave trader, but I don’t recall Naofumi, as soon as Filo could have a human form, going back to the trader and applying the exact same seal as Rapthalia.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Where were this objections when he applied the slave seal on Filo?

Wait, when did this ever happen? Yes, Naofumi acquires Filo from the slave trader, but I don’t recall Naofumi, as soon as Filo could have a human form, going back to the trader and applying the exact same seal as Rapthalia.

That in fact did happened. I don't remember which episode specifically but I vividly remembered Filo going nuts when the slave seal was being applied to her.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, now it’s coming back to me. Sorry I said anything.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
KuroiEr wrote:
Honestly, I am so sick of this toxic idea that every protagonist must be a paragon of virtue. That every story must be a one dimensional morality play that beats you over the head with it's message. Everything must be boring, sanitized garbage. Because grown adults, apparently, can't be trusted to know that slavery is bad.

There is no such toxic idea. Nobody is asking for every hero to be a "paragon of virtue" and, beyond the shonen action level, flawed heroes are routinely very popular - and that's something that hasn't changed much over the last 40 years.

Besides, I would argue that your complaint doesn't even apply in the case of Shield Hero. Naofumi is, basically, a paragon for persecution complex sufferers. Everyone who isn't actively supporting him is bad, anything he does is justifiable by his circumstances, he's the only truly competent one, and so forth. The writing isn't even trying too hard to convince anyone that it's not a straight-up power fantasy for the persecuted. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing - and remember, I'm reviewing it week-to-week and giving it a B/B- average, so that means I'm at least finding it tolerable - and it's certainly going to be popular, but it's also the kind of thing that some are going to reject pretty hard. And that's even without getting into the whole slavery thing, which naturally isn't stirring any problems in Japan because they don't have a dark history with it like most of the Western world does.

I've used this example before, but if you want to see an example of a character somewhat similar to Naofumi who is handled much, much better (to the point that the series is adored for how it's done and is rarely or never found objectionable), take a look at The Twelve Kingdoms sometime.

Unrelated note, you going to be dropping a hot review of Kotobuki any time soon, now that it's concluded its run?

Last edited by TheKillerAngel on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
TheKillerAngel wrote:
Unrelated note, you going to be dropping a hot revier of Kotobuki any time soon, now that it's concluded its run?

It's still on the agenda to do, but between the upcoming Preview Guide, a couple of physical copies I'm working on, and needing to get caught up on it (I've fallen a few weeks behind), I probably won't get to it until late into April.

Besides, given that I made Mysteria Friends my top pick for the season, I should probably write that one up first. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7