• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds New Fruits Basket Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
Will Crunchy only have the sub, or will the dub be available too???
I don't want to spend anyone 6+ dollars a month on funi if I don't have to.

Even back in the days when they had a partnership with Funimation, CR didn't have simuldubs. Keep in mind the dub for this is being created by Funimation.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Even though I would prefer to watch the dub, I can't justify paying 6-7 dollars for a subscription to Funimation, so it makes me happy to know that Crunchyroll will be showing the show.
I hate the way Funimation's free app puts commercials at the worst spots.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Friki del Mal wrote:
And Funimation screwed Latin America and the rest of the world blocking other anime, despite they made a multilingual site. Shame on you!

They don't have the rights to show it in Latin America. They're not blocking you just to piss you off.

Whatever their intentions, they DO block the latinamerica region routinely, the most recent notorious example was Steins Gate 0, it was almost a given that crunchy was going to show it but at the 11th hour Funi again blocked the whole region using their influence.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
but boy does it feel like Funimation's been getting the short end of the stick lately.

Yes, it does.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
Seif wrote:
Friki del Mal wrote:
And Funimation screwed Latin America and the rest of the world blocking other anime, despite they made a multilingual site. Shame on you!

They don't have the rights to show it in Latin America. They're not blocking you just to piss you off.

And this.. what it means?

https://www.fruitsbasketofficial.com/es/

It doesn't say anything about the streaming service. It just look like a site about the anime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Geez, Funimation can't even win when they win. It's cool that more people will be able to watch the show now (I'll be watching the dub, but still), but boy does it feel like Funimation's been getting the short end of the stick lately.

Yeah, it kind of does. Shows that they dubbed for CR ended up leaving their service, some shows that were licensed and simuldubbed during the partnership left, and now this. Also, I swear I remember reading that Mob Psycho 2 would have its dubbed version on Funimation, but here we are at the end of the season, and there seems to be no sign of it.

Honestly, it seems more and more apparent that Sony decided not to renew the deal with Crunchyroll because it was fairly lopsided.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
calm down folks, there's a really simple explanation for this. They started working on this show before the partnership ended, so funi gave it to CR. no funny business going on here. this is something funi staff confirmed on discord earlier today on this channel https://discordapp.com/channels/319130662772801536/319130662772801536
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the behind the scenes details of this development, Funimation still will likely make more of a profit from this than Crunchyroll through the home video sales.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

It doesn't say anything about the streaming service. It just look like a site about the anime.[/quote]

Yeah, but the links "says" it spanish, what use is having a website in a language where the anime will not be available? Because I can bet that the first episode of Fuit Baskets will not have spanish subtitles available in the USA or in any other of the territories they announced.

Heck, they even made the japanese voice actors do a segment where they talk in spanish, which now comes across as rubbing salt in the wound. Next comes a drop of lemon I suppose :p
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Regardless of the behind the scenes details of this development, Funimation still will likely make more of a profit from this than Crunchyroll through the home video sales.

IF it turns out good...

Speaking of FUNi & home video, I hope there's some more effort put in on the video extras side for both dub and Japanese. The original series had a lot covering both versions, half of which were from the Japanese DVDs, and with the exception of the 2014 DVD set (which had the redone 2011 DVDs but without the extras disc), FUNi has kept those extras available here from the beginning so with them seemingly in the production committee for this version, maybe they can do more than the bare-bones effort that they usually do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2