• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Don't know if this is leading up to their miraculous seven minutes, but on a realistic aspect I actually see a big red flag. Might not be something for this show, but televised talent or singing shows are actually notorious for having possibly really bad requirements, things in the contract for participation that could stifle the participants. They can have things like unable to profit from singing for the duration of their participation and possibly some time afterwards. They would likely be forced into a contract upon winning with a studio, where it could force them for a number of years to obey the studio's choice of their songs, and they may not get as much as they would for industry average. Reading the contract would be super important, and yet it looks their manager just went ahead without thinking.

But, I kind of loved the (Insert here)'s Got Talent segment, with all the weirdos, just one being the older lady singing dubstep. Even if I had from some things that it might not be accurate to the selection process, where apparently two auditions are held, where one is without the TV judges to whittle down the numbers, before a second one is held, and the shows usually have a lot of awful freedom to edit it however they want to make it entertaining. Also, IDEA returned, now trying to pass himself off as a singer.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Some nice surprises, first being that the old Fire Brothers could work it, that social networker Pyotr was not all talk, but OG Bulldog was awesome. That the scary guy was great with his opera rap, which worked surprisingly good, and found that he was indeed a bit softie after being called out on it by his grandmother, which makes it conflicting that he had to lose to C&T. Their song this time seemed to be about their meeting.

Angela went up to them afterwards to say she disliked their song, which really means she somewhat feels threatened by them. Was funny when Gus seemed to make a fool of himself by somewhat talking down about Angela to her manager. On the danger side, Tuesday seems to have attracted a stalker to her, one so blind spot into her that does not even know Carol's name right, they kind of look a bit androgynous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, the animation for Pyotr's dance was stellar. Pretty good song, too. I take it he's supposed to be a riff on PewDiePie? C&T's song was nice, but seemed to lack heart, compared to some of their other performances. Way too repetitive, mostly. But on the whole, the first round was a lot of fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

The Mermaid Sisters were robbed! They were not even allowed to finish their song. And what we heard, it was amazing, I loved the shock value of it. You could say maybe joke act, but dang if it actually sounded good, and even the humour of it felt not something at their expense. A big surprise from their appearances. I need a full version of the song. I do think it just automatically raised the age rating though.

Cybelle was good too, and lost, but dang is she going to be bad news. Props for Tuesday for doing what she did and not letting it go any further, but I am kind of afraid if it is the end of her or not. The song itself also seemed to have a number of warning signs that she is not good news. A tomboy yandere, with weird ideas about youth and aging, into French for the romance, and bites to then call it a gift from a goddess and marking her.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm constantly struck by the enormous talent gap between the characters in this show and the performers of the songs used as episode titles. I mean, really, who in this show could compete against Tina Turner, James Taylor, Cyndi Lauper, or Bruce Springsteen? Is it just "cute," or is Watanabe trying to tell us that music in the future will just be crummy? (It reminds me a bit about the jazz vs Beatles issue in Sakamichi no Apollon.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

They got through but looks like Tuesday's goons broke up the party.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
I expected the drama in this show to be more along the line of musical rivalries but now we got crazy stalkers and a kidnapping (though admittedly, Tuesday's family situation always loomed in the background) within a couple of episodes...that sure escelated quickly. Rolling Eyes

And if one of the main themes really is supposed to be "human-made" vs. "AI-made" music, i wished they tried a bit harder because at this point, humans aren't exactly winning...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
In terms of bad things, they just kind of happened at the same time. That her mother finally made an "involved" effort to bring her back, probably after Tuesday being on TV, and it was kind of obvious how things may go with Cybelle as soon as she showed herself as way too into it fan. Cybelle could have gone much worse yandere, and Tuesday may have her brother on her side. Wonder what chances are that her mother uses AI for politics.

In terms of people being awful, it goes without saying a part with Angela was finding out that she was wrong about her Mama pulling something underhanded, as well as her assistant. I can see that Angela is going to have to apologise to her assistant, who she hurt by the accusation and calling her not a true fan. She did look like she may have been feeling bad about it, despite how she has been shown with a hard edge.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
In terms of bad things, they just kind of happened at the same time.

Except that they didn't just incidentally happen at the same time, it was intentionally written that way.

While i didn't really like the whole Cybelle thing, i appreciated that there was finally some conflict between Carole and Tuesday in the aftermath, but then the latter gets snatched away immediately. Well, there's still enough time, so i hope the show will eventually return to the issue that the girls quite literally come from completely different worlds and have lived very different lives before they met.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
She burned the palm of her hand (steam or dry ice? couldn't tell), so why did she need a sling? Looked like a big sympathy play. (The ER nurse didn't want to give me a sling even when I broke my collar bone, but it turned out that was because she didn't know how to put it on.)

So, they see Carole chasing down a speeding car (or I guess, leisurely driving off?), leap on the back and get tossed off, and still have to ask, "Where's Tuesday?" instead of adding up what they saw happen and immediately calling the cops? I mean, if they were wrong, and she was chasing an old ex or something, she'd still have plenty of time to correct them. Smile

And yeah, their last two songs haven't really been doing it for me. It's fine to start off with a soft, tentative opening like that, but it has to build to a strong bridge and dynamic close, and these songs are just so wimpy and 3-chord throughout, leaving me frowning instead of applauding. Is even playing with both hands at once too much to ask? I was rockin' right along with Pyotr, but C&T just leave me frustrated, waiting for an emotional kick that never shows up. I feel like they put everything into their first song on the bridge, and there's been nothing left in the tank since.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Going to say that this episode made me a fan of Angela. Feels like it could easily be her best song yet, and feeling more like it came from the heart of who Angela is, that she is not as bad as she maybe can act. An interesting addition that apparently the AI writing her songs have been picking up on feelings that she has been unable to express or see herself. Totally felt like her song, Light A Fire, could be a real one to hear on the radio.

Carole and Tuesday also went back to their original song, that pulled them together, The Loneliest Girl, this time allowing us to see it in full. It seemed to even reach Ertegun, who seemed to have his distaste of them stopped. Perhaps he realised that this would have been the song they would have sung that day. I am liking to think that both Angela and C&T's songs could be relevant to each other, about being lonely and trying to make it better. A particular part came to mind about how Angela's had a lot about starting a fire to get going, something about starting a fire came up in Loneliest Girl about being worried about moving forward ("Do you really want to set the night on fire")..... and Tuesday started a fire in Etergun's place.

Saying that they both one can feel a bit like a copout, but I do think it was expressed enough that they both deserved to win with those performances. Now to wonder what the fallout is. How does winning affect things? What will Tuesday's mother do next? What about Gus and Roddy being arrested? Poor Roddy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's C&T's best song, but it's still not particularly dynamic. Angela's was, but her animation didn't convey much emotion. Honestly Pyotr's first song was the best of everything the first half had to offer. Smile

And let's be real here - even if they disqualified them, there's no way they'd hesitate to let them sing. If they hadn't offered, they'd probably have begged them to! What else are they going to do to fill the time allotted for the broadcast?

Is this split cour or continuing into summer?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I believe it's split cour. The official website doesn't have a preview up for episode 13 like it normally does.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
Split-cour. Next week is a recap episode, then I presume we're on to the second half since "we've only just begun."

If anyone's interested, I've been compiling the YouTube videos for all the title songs in a post over on AnimeSuki: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=6349948#post6349948
Watanabe's knowledge of modern American popular music seems to end around 1990. That's okay with me, since I'm equally clueless starting around then.

Definitely Angela's best performance so far. C&T were, well, C&T. The contrast in talent between Mars Brightest and the performers in those videos is akin to the distance between Earth and Mars. I have to admit, though, that while Karen Carpenter had a lovely voice, I was never a fan.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Where’d you see that there’s a recap episode for next week. I didn’t see one mentioned on the official website which usually announces the next episode the day after the current week’s episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6