• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Travel Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, Since i've been to japan this will be easier to answer.

Strangely most of the people I encountered in japan were courteous, and probably didn't act xenophobic to our families because....well we look asian. probably.

to daxomni:
that's weird, I've always thought sports were considered as hobbies as well. Well, in the sense that people do them in their freetime.

Tokyo may be ugly, but other parts of japan look much nicer. Although Tokyo is all metal and concrete, it's much cleaner than *cough* a lot of other cities.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I want to go and photograph elephants around Chiang Mai in Thailand just as much as I want to visit Japan).

There is no reason you can't fit Thailand and Japan into the same trip. I think a good mix would be North America > Tokyo > Bangkok > Chiang Mai > Phuket > Kyoto > North America. Split your flights between Japan Airlines (or ANA) and Thai Airways for a little extra foreign flavor. On a side note, if you're an animal lover it can be really tough to see how they treat animals in Thailand.
Raja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote
Would it throw off their numbers if someone currently living in Japan were to answer? Very Happy

Edited to add: I don't know if I could respond at this point anyway, as I consider myself more than casually interested in anime, yet not quite a fanatic enough to be in category A.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
When it came to some of the answers, if none applied but I had one that did, I added it. That may not be what the Japanese want, but better they get a right answer than a false impression.

As for tour groups, I'd rather go alone as well (or with someone close to me), but I've talked with people who've done tour groups and they've had a lot of fun even though they were with complete strangers. When it was done, you had a group of friends.

So, I'm not opposed to tour groups. However, I don't want to just see anime/otaku related things. I do want to see those (I really want to take the Tenchi tour) but there are lots of other great things in Japan that I'd like to see as well.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The survey wrote:
Pre-Question:
Which of the following best describes you?
a. Hardcore anime fan
b. Parent who has 1 or more children who watch family-oriented anime shows
c. Moderately familiar with anime
d. Indifferent to anime
e. Other (It is not necessarry for you to complete this survey, we are currently only looking for respondents from the above categories. Thank you for your time.)

We do not currently need any people who fit into categories A or C. Thank you!

I don't understand this. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but doesn't it say they don't need anyone who fits into categories A or C? Wouldn't most everyone visiting this site fall somewhere between category C and category A?

In option E, they also say they don't need anyone that doesn't fit into the above categories. So, they are only looking for answers from people that would be in category B or D?

I'm curious as to the purpose of the survey, although I suppose supplying that information could bias the results. In any event, if they are not looking for the opinions of anime fans, I can't see spending a bunch of time filling it out if my answers are likely to be discarded because of my response to the pre-question.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I can't see spending a bunch of time filling it out if my answers are likely to be discarded because of my response to the pre-question.

Whoever came up with this bizarre email questionnaire probably doesn't have a clue about how computers or databases work. A proper form system can be instantly mined in real time while this silly plain-text email nonsense will most likely require all sorts of corrections and additional man-hours before it can be used for anything but SPAM. Consider yourself warned.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yep... not answering this survey. It's just not well-made enough for me to dedicate time to it.

However, for those that think Japan is Xenophobic and unwelcoming to strangers, try going elsewhere in east asia. Say, South Korea? Some of my students won't even address me by my name. They insist on calling me wei-gook seonsengnim (Foreign Teacher), though I correct them every single time.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Man, the only way i'd finish this half-assed survey is if they offered me a free trip to Japan. I mean, why no polling option?
supercait86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
However, for those that think Japan is Xenophobic and unwelcoming to strangers, try going elsewhere in east asia. Say, South Korea? Some of my students won't even address me by my name. They insist on calling me wei-gook seonsengnim (Foreign Teacher), though I correct them every single time.

I was in Seoul for a month and I had the opposite reaction while there. People were extremely friendly and I can`t tell you how many strangers told me I was beautiful (in an innocent manner). I didn`t have a single xenophobic reaction to my existence.

There were so many more foreigners in Tokyo, especially around where my friend lives. I didn`t really feel like I stood out so much, except maybe in Akihabara which was more gender-related in some of the stores.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2