• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - It's The End of Attack on Titan (As We Know It)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I hope you like when series talk about spoiler[ race, discrimination and war politics ] because maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that shit is about to get real

spoiler[I wouldn't consider the politics in AoT to be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that they are fairly simplistic. The Eldians are hated by the rest of the world because they have super powers. It is a story that is getting stretched out longer than what was needed because the manga is popular.]
milkyy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
really looking forward to this series finally being over so I don't have to look at any more of its hideous artstyle, or hear about how mediocre it is. this show is like what death note was in 2007ish. it's hot topic fodder now.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
milkyy wrote:
really looking forward to this series finally being over so I don't have to look at any more of its hideous artstyle, or hear about how mediocre it is. this show is like what death note was in 2007ish. it's hot topic fodder now.

Its been over 5 years now.

If you are basically insinuating that AoT is nothing more than a fad then it should have ran its course a loooooong time ago.
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Attack on Titan: *is anti-war and uses WWII imagery to denounce racism*

The Internet and its collective lack of reading comprehension skills: there's Nazi imagery in it, therefore it's racist]

v1cious wrote:
I can't believe how fast they went through Wall Maria, that arc felt way more epic in the manga. At the rate they're going, it looks like this season will end with spoiler[the reunion].

This season is only gonna be 10 episodes long, so it'll most likely end at chapter 90.
The pacing is okay imo. This arc is the most action heavy one they've adapted so far, so it figures they'd fit more stuff into each episode. Now that the action's over, the pacing should slow down a bit.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
People who read AoT as full reactionary propaganda seem to just ignore everything related to Jean and especially Sasha.

And people who don't read it that way seem to ignore, or are unaware of, the author's publicly-stated political opinions.

Effective propaganda generally doesn't beat you over the head with its message, at least not right away--don't want to scare off potential converts, and it's always easier to change someone's mind if they don't realize you're doing it. I quit watching AoT long before the politics became an issue, but here's some mega-spoilery stuff about the next few developments.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
And people who don't read it that way seem to ignore, or are unaware of, the author's publicly-stated political opinions.

Effective propaganda generally doesn't beat you over the head with its message, at least not right away--don't want to scare off potential converts, and it's always easier to change someone's mind if they don't realize you're doing it. I quit watching AoT long before the politics became an issue, but here's some mega-spoilery stuff about the next few developments.

Thanks for linking that post; it pretty much nails why certain aspects of spoiler[the Marley arc] have been making me uncomfortable. I'm still reading the manga because I like many of the characters and want to see where it goes, but boy, some things about it (not to mention the mangaka's politics, as you mentioned) can be a real turn-off sometimes.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
milkyy wrote:

Oh look, it's that person who doesn't like a thing but can't stop commenting on said thing because other people like said thing and they don't and therefore that offends them somehow.
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
milkyy wrote:

Um... Fodder? Maybe it's just me, but I think a lot more people are talking about shows like Shield Hero, Demon Slayer, JoJo, and even OPM 2 this season.
AoT isn't as talk about as when it first aired back in 2013.
It's just that this season of AoT in particular has been really solid so far and people just want to point that out.
And 'hideous artstyle'? Idk what you're talking about. WIT Studio's drawings are pretty good.
If you hate AoT that much, and don't want to listen to the opinion that you agree with (that AoT is mediocre) maybe just stay away from any articles involving AoT? Instead of fueling your hatred even more by clicking and commenting on articles like these?
Do something fun, find a show that you'll like, be positive, y'know
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Flü wrote:
People who read AoT as full reactionary propaganda seem to just ignore everything related to Jean and especially Sasha.

Except the main message and themes being carried are the complete opposite of what are you saying the author is trying to conceive from the start? Especially with the most recent developments?

You are trying to see things in a way they aren't really portrayed just because you think the author would push an agenda with his political views in a story that is as of now as gray as you can get in every single aspect of it. Sounds like you yourself is the one trying to push his work as being something it really isn't, and I have good evidence and points if you want to discuss this further.

Isayama's own "political views" are nothing more than rumors anyway, caused by him saying Pixis was inspired in a certain "supposed" WWII war criminal figure, even though he died years before that given crime he is accused of participating in (but yeah, Akiyama at best may have done bad things in Korea during the Sino-Japanese War instead if that was to be the case), and even then, just basing a character on an old japanese military figure isn't really anything to write home, especially given how the character is portrayed in the manga/anime (a drunkard influential commander, that actually embraces Eren's diversity towards the battle against the Titans, even though most of the army would rather have him executed in sight).

And that whole story about the "supposed private twitter account" of his that was never confirmed at all, and sounded more like an impersonator much like there were some for several mangaka by that same time, including Tite Kubo (impersonating so well to the point of talking on his behalf to several personal and professional contacts of his), who because of it actually left twitter for a while.

If you want to argue about what he is "pushing" with SnK, fair enough, go and make your point. I'm very curious to see what do you have to prove your "argument" (more like internet political mob hysteria, in my opinion, after researching quite a bit from where was this all coming from some days ago after a discussion in this very site about just that).

R. Kasahara wrote:

Thanks for linking that post; it pretty much nails why certain aspects of spoiler[the Marley arc] have been making me uncomfortable. I'm still reading the manga because I like many of the characters and want to see where it goes, but boy, some things about it (not to mention the mangaka's politics, as you mentioned) can be a real turn-off sometimes.

spoiler[The certain aspects of the Marley arc making you uncomfortable are supposed to make everybody uncomfortable, since the situation has no binarism when it comes to who is right or wrong in the conflict, and the fact history is repeating itself albeit in a very twisted perspective ].

It's, as I previously mentioned, because of how gray the story has become in socio-political terms even character development-wise. And not because some ridiculous agenda that doesn't even make sense if you are actually paying attention to what the story is in fact presenting in its content.

Edit:
Akiyama's first cavalry battalion apparently attacked the Lüshunkou District (formely known as Port Arthur) on during the Sino-Japanese war several days before a certain famous massacre by japanese troops named "Port Arthur Massacre".

Again, he took part on a initial raid towards occupation of that territory during the war, but not in the massacre itself (I study Korean history in my university and double checked some info with my teacher). This is another case of critical research failure from what I could gather. The war criminal they are trying to refer to is instead Ōyama Iwao.

At this point, it's very likely that Isayama just based Pixis on Akiyama's portrayal on the "Saka no ue no kumo" popular historical drama series aired in NHK back in 2009-2011, based on a novel by the same name, and not in his actual historical figure.

Last edited by danpmss on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
milkyy wrote:

For someone who doesn't even watch it nor read it (and instead bases your thoughts on what you hear people saying), you sure sound really confident about your opinion, but okay. Rolling Eyes
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
... I quit watching AoT long before the politics became an issue, but here's some mega-spoilery stuff about the next few developments.
Thanks very much for this! I checked out at the beginning of season 2 so this helped me to decide whether to re-engage. Glad that I stayed away...
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
... I quit watching AoT long before the politics became an issue, but here's some mega-spoilery stuff about the next few developments.
Thanks very much for this! I checked out at the beginning of season 2 so this helped me to decide whether to re-engage. Glad that I stayed away...

There is an irony of this post being made right after another post of someone who already attempted to debunk the contents of it without any hint of self-awareness.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
Okay, i read that linked article and the essence seems to be that the author wanted the manga to remain a simple black and white "humanity vs. titans" story and therefore chose to interpret everything they didn't like as some kind of pro-fascist propaganda? Rolling Eyes
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Okay, i read that linked article and the essence seems to be that the author wanted the manga to remain a simple black and white "humanity vs. titans" story and therefore chose to interpret everything they didn't like as some kind of pro-fascist propaganda? Rolling Eyes

What pissed me off the most is that the person spreading this admitedly just said to not have even read the manga since way before it went into politics. That's like less than a third of the series, and the assumptions are just ridiculous and straight wrong:

Quote:
I quit watching AoT long before the politics became an issue, but here's some mega-spoilery stuff about the next few developments

"I quit watching AoT way before even touching the content I'm spreading to be fascist propaganda, but here is some misinformation I found online from people whose interpretation fits what I want the series to be seen as *posts link* ".

Like, you gotta be joking with us right now...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
I stopped reading when the article compares certain persons to the jewish. it's pretty laughable but one can only turnoff so many neurons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2