• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Game's Trailer Unveils Tifa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
if your first complain is her breasts then you got skewed priorities.

Yuffie literally calls her "boobs"

The black undershirt they gave her reminds me of that censoring in Xenoblade Chronicles X and Dead or Alive. It just looks ugly and throws off the design.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
if your first complain is her breasts then you got skewed priorities.

Yuffie literally calls her "boobs"

The black undershirt they gave her reminds me of that censoring in Xenoblade Chronicles X and Dead or Alive. It just looks ugly and throws off the design.

Uh yeah, 'because it's a SPORTS BRA. Support is a thing women need. Look, Tifa is indeed going to always be the "fanservice" character, it's part of her subversion of archetype which is a common thing in FFVII. She LOOKS like a tough, fanservicy biker babe but she's actually sweet, kindhearted, and maternal and just HAPPENS to be able to suplex tanks.

The point is, even though that is a point of her design, it's not the whole picture. She has, at worst, gone from a DD to a D. Whoop-dee-doo.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
Okay this looks pretty awesome. I'm one of those people for whom FF7 is literally the most nostalgia-laden videogame in existence, so I'm not sure if I'll end up being excited as hell or disappointed that he final product doesn't live up to my unrealistic expectations, but this teaser at least looks amazing.

Put me in the camp that thinks that Tifa looks really cool. Obviously she's had some, ah, adjustments made from her original model, but then her original model didn't have any fingers either, so I think she comes out ahead in the redesign.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Man! Square Enix put on the best conference of E3 so far!

I've never played nor been interested in the original FFVII. And I was on the fence about getting into this one.

If that demo is indicative of the moment to moment gameplay - holy crap! They sold me! Looks amazing!

Though this is only part 1, and I'm somewhat wondering about waiting for the 'full edition' several years from now, but this one is already coming on 2 blu-ray discs.

Someone should ask Square to at least confirm whether or not all parts of the Remake will release on PS4 with next gen likely coming in 2020.

Otherwise, I might just wait for the inevitable complete edition on the most-likely UHD Discs coming for PS5.

But I wouldn't mind the collector's edition with the CD soundtrack. Thankfully, it looks like a physical CD disc.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
The complaints about Tifa's design seem to be people who are upset she isn't rocking triple G's or whatever cartoonish size they were before. Then again, I vastly prefer her Advent Children design overall.
Stiles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Her design looks to be about what I expected, it's got that Advent Children sensibility and overall realism to it while still remaining mostly faithful. She looks good, but I think I'd like to see the black undershirt go, even if it is a sports bra. But that's just me being picky.

I am somewhat amused that Tifa gets a size down when Lightning got a size up. One wonders where the real priorities lay.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think a good comparison in terms of how Square is approaching this is basically how Capcom approached the RE2 Remake.

RE1 Remake was more faithful.

But RE2 Remake is a whole different ball game in terms of presentation and gameplay.

The same likely applies here.

I'm hearing that Square said they want this to be a 2 parter? I was guessing it was going to be 3.

They'll probably trim the story somewhat. Rearrange some of the pieces. Toss in new ones, and additional side content.

I guess now we wait for more details at the Tokyo Games Show.

Was hoping we'd get another Yoko Taro/Nier project tease. But welp...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I think a good comparison in terms of how Square is approaching this is basically how Capcom approached the RE2 Remake.

RE1 Remake was more faithful.

But RE2 Remake is a whole different ball game in terms of presentation and gameplay.

The same likely applies here.

I'm hearing that Square said they want this to be a 2 parter? I was guessing it was going to be 3.

They'll probably trim the story somewhat. Rearrange some of the pieces. Toss in new ones, and additional side content.

I guess now we wait for more details at the Tokyo Games Show.

Was hoping we'd get another Yoko Taro/Nier project tease. But welp...

Not really because in RE2 the additions are pretty minimal from a story standpoint and at the end of the day the geography for the locations wasn't radically changed. Any major changes were mostly due to a shift in gameplay (the remake being from a TPS view while the original was a fixed camera) and any sort of changes to story were either to fix plot holes (though funnily enough some changes and additions make some new plot holes, so par for the course for the series)

The FFVII remake is more like trying to add stuff that neither fixes nor really expands on anything because there really isn't anything that needed fixing in FFVII save for a somewhat wonky translation (but even then, if the impact of the story and characters can get across despite that, then clearly it didn't do a lot of damage). If anything, to go with comparisons from other media, I'm getting more of Star Wars: Special Edition or even JK Rowling's infamous Twitter vibes where in stuff was added that no one was asking about.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 am Reply with quote
So not surprisingly a majority of the thread is discussing Tifa's design. So a note: people are free to like or dislike her redesign and comment on it, but be polite. Also I had to delete a post for making blanket trolling statements about the evil Social Justice folks "who won't even play the game," so let's avoid stuff like that too.

Personally I think she looks good though I would have appreciated more defined muscles, like give her some serious abs. But I'm fine with what we got.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I read through two pages of this thread and ALL of it was about Tifa's breasts. Sadly including this one.

I'm more worried about three things: the first being that the first boss seemed to have taken forever to kill. There was clearly a lot of cutouts, but it feels like that boss had too much health and probably too many phases.
The second is Barret's dialogue. Unlike FFXV, I didn't find his banter charming at all. Also he hit like 650% black with it. It's kind of horribly done.

The last and probably most important part, I'm still not sure if this will keep the silly tone of the original game. I would like to remind everyone that FFVII is the game where:
-your party members include a guy who sometimes turns into Jason Voorhees and one that is just a robot cat riding a robot fat moogle
-said robot cat on robot moogle is piloted by Midgar's head of urban development, which is to say a politician is one of your party members except he's controlling a robot cat all the time
-you dress up as a girl to get to meet a pimp
-you enter a whorehouse where all the prostitutes are dressed as bees
-one of your party members is a red fire-tailed lion, that Hojo planned to force to have sex with Aeris to repopulate both their species
-said talking lion put on a sailor suit, stood up, and pretended to be a navy soldier, and it worked
-Tifa and the female head of Midgar's military have a slap fight on top of the planet's biggest phallic symbol
-you perform CPR on a child who rewards you by allowing you to ride on her dolphin (not a euphemism, it's a literal dolphin)
-you date Barret

In other words, FFVII is a silly game with fantastic characters and a fantastic if confusingly-translated story, but a silly game nonetheless. I'm worried the charm of its silliness had been removed to take the game in a more serious direction and that'd pretty much just kill it for me.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
It's pretty bewildering for them to not mention how far into the game the player will be able to go for the first disc/part/episode or whatever. Maxmillian Dood was talking like the whole first part would only be Midgar, but while they are expanding it quite a bit, from the perspective of the whole story this would make NO sense. Midgar was like 10% of the whole game. Would this mean it will be 1/10 parts? The only way it might make sense is if they cut some towns, cut the entire open world aspect(basically just have FFX skip travel for when you get the airship), and they railroad the whole story to a ridiculous degree.

Admittedly, I just beat FF7 last month and I wouldn't care much if they went from Midgar to the misty snake forest/cave to Junon and end part 1 right when they are on the boat. Then part 2 would start right at the boat when Sephiroth shows up.
It'd work, but again, how much of the game are they cutting? It was even weirder when it was mentioned the whole game would end up taking up 2 blurays "worth of space"...so it COULD all fit on 2 discs but instead it will be 4+ on physical? BTW, only care about physical version at this point. Downloading multiple parts digitally sounds like an awful hassle.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
It's pretty bewildering for them to not mention how far into the game the player will be able to go for the first disc/part/episode or whatever. Maxmillian Dood was talking like the whole first part would only be Midgar, but while they are expanding it quite a bit, from the perspective of the whole story this would make NO sense. Midgar was like 10% of the whole game. Would this mean it will be 1/10 parts? The only way it might make sense is if they cut some towns, cut the entire open world aspect(basically just have FFX skip travel for when you get the airship), and they railroad the whole story to a ridiculous degree.

I didn't think about that. That's...worrisome. It seems like they're trying to pad out Midgar. I mean, I get it, it's one of the most iconic locales in the game, but there's also Gold Saucer, Nibelheim, Wutai, Great Glacier, The City of the Ancients, etc. Midgar is, at best, just an intro to get to the real meat of the plot.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:

Well, they don't have to expand all the different sections by the same degree. They could potentially greatly expand Migard for this first part, and expand the rest of the game to a lesser degree, so that in the remake Midgard takes up a bigger percentage of the game.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:47 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
In other words, FFVII is a silly game with fantastic characters and a fantastic if confusingly-translated story, but a silly game nonetheless. I'm worried the charm of its silliness had been removed to take the game in a more serious direction and that'd pretty much just kill it for me.

If the reason for Tifa's redesign is the original wouldn't fit the direction of the new remake then neither will the comedy, so I hope nobody chiding people for complaining about Tifa are going to turn around and complain if the game loses a lot of its comedy as well if that ends up being the case. Personally if the new design ditched the undershirt and the stockings it would be fine. The new black parts of her outfit ruin the aesthetic of the original and were most certainly done to cover her up more.

I'm betting on it not having all those comedic moments. Tifa's old design is used in every other cameo and appearance she's had in other games, like FF14, Dissidia, and Brave Exvius, so this game not using it is an indication it's clearly going in a different direction than the classic game. We've also seen how Barret was slimmed down and given a more realistic proportion rather than being super hulking and buff. We also got a glimpse of Heidegger also being slimmed down in terms of design. He only had one line, so it's hard to tell if he's less of a goofball now and no longer be Mr. Gya Ha Ha.

Considering how intense the first boss of the game was made in the remake, I'm having a hard time picturing that same scenario with Palmer dancing around slapping his butt at you and getting run over by a truck.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping for a Switch port! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4