• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sequel Game Revealed With Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Hmm, maybe we'll get an actual Zelda game this time.

Stop the nonsense.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
It should have been Super Mario Odyssey that got a sequel.

For what?

The last Nintendo needs to do is turn Odyssey into New Super Mario Bros.

Pandsu wrote:
All you got as rewards were weapons/shields (which is why the durability system was NECESSARY to put value on those),

And yet it comes off as worthless still being that for some dumb reason weapons and shields can break but yet not be repaired.....armor however doesn't take damage.

Pandsu wrote:
Maybe they will challenge the player to change their approach a little (or maybe they will even get rid of the sail cloth and nerf the climbing)

With the way stamina worked (and with them apparently removing a mechanic that would've allowed you to recover Stamina during Climbs) I don't see how or why they'd make the climbing even worse than it already was.

Pandsu wrote:
and maybe they will have a difficulty curve and just make things feel more meaningful again. And maybe they'll make it darker

Game was pretty dark to begin with.

Eddy564 wrote:
Stop the nonsense.

Snarky as the comment was that's pretty much how a portion of the fanbase tends to regard newer titles.

doctordoom85 wrote:
-have a stronger story (yes, Zelda games' stories aren't incredible or anything, but BOTW was really un-noteworthy in this department)

Twilight Princess's story stood out......at least until it became another "Oh Noes Ganon Is Threatening Hyrule again" story.

anddo! wrote:
If BotW2 is still in Hyrule how does that make this any different from a DLC pack?

Because they could easily add new locations, new enemies, new features?

anddo! wrote:
MM reuses assets from OoT but at least it takes place in Termina with all new characters and dynamic gameplay system.

And yet it didn't feel any much different from Ocarina Of Time in spite of those changes.

anddo! wrote:

The Switch has so little games they have to release BotW twice.

Bad jokes and arguments aside it would be thrice.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
...the overall atmosphere of the game was just largely relaxing and about one-note exploration.

The world was nice and so was the general lack of hand-holding. I also had a surprising amount of fun on the Great Plateau due to how you were forced to find your way around in interesting ways (such as having to cut down a tree to cross a gap and some physics based interactions) but once you get off, all exploration lost any kind of meaning. Everything remotely interesting would just lead to the same thing: A Shrine. No matter how big the build-up and context in the world. All you got as rewards were weapons/shields (which is why the durability system was NECESSARY to put value on those), as well as upgrades to your inventory (again, going hand in hand with the weapons and durability system), health and climbing. The latter making exploration even more one-note since climbing and gliding solved 99% of the environmental puzzles/obstacles/challenges, very very rarely forcing or even encouraging the player to change their approach. Health upgrades and stronger weapons just lead to the game getting easier after the Great Plateau, which added to the one-note-ness.

It had some interesting ideas, I did like the exploration until me fighting one of those dragons in an underwhelming way for an underwhelming prize broke my immersion and sense of wonder completely. Still it had a good foundation. But ultimately I just missed some more variety, some progression (your abilities, playstyle, approach, etc. are largely the same from getting off the plateau to the end), more music, more story/plot, dungeons, items, etc.
It was also way too relaxing for its own good. You were in a post-apocalyptic world that's on the brink of getting destroyed completely. You are the world's final hope and Zelda has been waiting for you forever, to save her and Hyrule by defeating Ganon long after an initial battle, which you don't get to play or even see, was lost.
It's a dark, high-stakes setting but you never really feel that. The world is beautiful and relaxing and people seem to largely be fine too.
It just felt like a very unfinished, bare-bones prototype with a ton of potential but just as much missing. Still I enjoyed it enough to play through it all and played a few hours of the harder difficulty they added later, which I liked a little more (though I wish enemies weren't just such tedious damage sponges).

So while I would've highly preferred a teaser for a completely new game with a new approach and setting, I am still cautiously looking forward to learning more about this one.
Hopefully them being able to recycle the setting and a lot of the assets (I assume), as well as the engine and stuff, will mean this game won't take FOREVER to come out and maybe they're taking a good hard look at what works in the original and what doesn't and maybe the story will be more immediate and close, maybe there will be dungeons and items, maybe there will be progression. Maybe they will challenge the player to change their approach a little (or maybe they will even get rid of the sail cloth and nerf the climbing) and maybe they will have a difficulty curve and just make things feel more meaningful again. And maybe they'll make it darker and/or more unique and experimental in different ways, just like they did with Majora back in the day. That'd be neat.

More or less my feelings as well. Thanks for writing this down. I hope BotW2 has a lot more personality with distinct, important items; more meaningful, centrally integrated side quests; and memorable, diverse dungeons. A more prominent OST would be greatly appreciated, too. Pie-in-the-sky, I'd like a more seamless combat system also. Like, by now, Link should be able to attack with a manual-jumping down-thrust (ala Zelda 2) without targeting, much in the same way Mario can hop on Goombas in his 3D games without Z-targeting.

There is so much potential in the technical shell they created, which did feel a bit tech demo-y, but BotW stripped things down too far and created an unsatisfying reward loop of token rewards. When you know what the outcome will be, and those results, like Korok Seeds, have a limited value, it takes the wonder out of exploring. It was still a great "game," just not a great "Zelda game," in my mind, and I felt disappointed by the experience after the long wait (and the investment in the Wii U for it, since it was originally slated, before its delay, as a Wii U exclusive. People often forget the Switch "launch" version was ported off the Wii U source).

If you remove the 3D production values of BotW, it doesn't hold up as very memorable, in my opinion, whereas if you put those production values on, say, the under-the-radar 2D Oracle games (Ages and Seasons), you have a much more creative and complex milieu that Link is discovering and interacting with and growing from.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I personally I enjoyed BotW because it was more of a laid back exploration focus game that reminded me a lot of the original NES Zelda game. I just had a lot of fun exploring Hyrule which exploring the overworld was always my favorite parts of any Zelda game. I'd be fine if they just tweak a few things to streamline the gameplay and expand further on Hyrule, but I would rather they just make a brand new game with an entirely different game engine than tweak things to be too radically different from the first BotW. I mean if you're just making too many changes to satisfy fans who hated the first game, just make a brand new world and engine.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I personally I enjoyed BotW because it was more of a laid back exploration focus game that reminded me a lot of the original NES Zelda game. I just had a lot of fun exploring Hyrule which exploring the overworld was always my favorite parts of any Zelda game. I'd be fine if they just tweak a few things to streamline the gameplay and expand further on Hyrule, but I would rather they just make a brand new game with an entirely different game engine than tweak things to be too radically different from the first BotW. I mean if you're just making too many changes to satisfy fans who hated the first game, just make a brand new world and engine.

Nintendo's always experimenting with Zelda, but I think with Metroid Prime 4 being drastically delayed, it put pressure on getting a follow-up to BotW out, and the investment put into and success from that game sort of deemed it necessary to work from that base while also experimenting, much like Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time (or to a lesser extent, Spirit Tracks after Phantom Hourglass).

While I can understand how BotW may have invoked the overworld freedom of the original Zelda, the two games were very different in philosophy. It boils down to basically freedom of choice with few consequences versus "choice chains" with consequences. If you have a ton of time, this article breaks down Breath of the Wild's structure while it compares Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 with the overall trajectory of the series. If you even just scroll down to the set of graphs, you can see how the game design varies: https://agoplus.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/zelda-ii-the-adventure-of-link-how-a-black-sheep-was-a-link-to-the-future/ The bulk of the topic is focused in the sub-section "Myth of the Open World."

Obviously, to each there own, and Breath of the Wild had to do what it had to do. It's good that it captured so much interest, but I think it can be bettered by a mile.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
According to a recent interview Aonuma said that game will be darker than BOTW, but not as dark as Majora's Mask. Also it is implied that they are revisiting the same map/world as BOTW, so I imagine a remixed area building upon what's already there in BOTW.

I'm sure it'll not be some lazy reuse of the map, but will have significant new areas and changes. And it probably also indicates that the game won't take as long to make if they're reusing the base of BOTW.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:

Nintendo's always experimenting with Zelda, but I think with Metroid Prime 4 being drastically delayed, it put pressure on getting a follow-up to BotW out, and the investment put into and success from that game sort of deemed it necessary to work from that base while also experimenting, much like Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time (or to a lesser extent, Spirit Tracks after Phantom Hourglass).
I'm not expecting a brand new Zelda concept so soon but my point is that I think it would be a mistake for them if they veer too far off from the original BotW that it alienates the fans who liked BotW. People are comparing this sequel to Majora's Mask but even Majora's Mask still had the same basic feeling and gameplay as Ocarina but built upon it with more features and a different setting. But it wasn't as radically different from Ocarina as some fans try to make it out to be but then I didn't have as many problems with Ocarina like some fans do either. The thing I'm wondering about is if this sequel will be an entire new game or just more DLC add ons. I'm hoping it will be the former.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, Breath of the Wild was the best selling Zelda game and it got tons of praise, so it's natural they decided to make a sequel, like with Majora's Mask in the N64. I hope this time they let Zelda be playable, that would be awesome. I also hope that the game will be dubbed into neutral spanish like the first one, the acting was really good.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Hmm, maybe we'll get an actual Zelda game this time.

...And Link's Awakening doesn't count?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2