• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is We Never Learn: BOKUBEN Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I feel like We Never Learn would be a better show without the main character. Doesn't this school have like a studying club the girls could join?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like We Never Learn would be a better show without the main character. Doesn't this school have like a studying club the girls could join?

That would be a different show then, not a “better” one. One of this series’ prominent tags is harem. Without the main character, the series is no longer a harem, but at least something that is in a different genre (like a CGDCT for example, as that’s one of the most common things that can come out of this without the main character).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

That would be a different show then, not a “better” one. One of this series’ prominent tags is harem. Without the main character, the series is no longer a harem, but at least something that is in a different genre (like a CGDCT for example, as that’s one of the most common things that can come out of this without the main character).
As a fan of CGDCT shows, I would be fine with this.
Flü

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
With time, the WNL manga became WAY superior to the tame borefest that is Nisekoi, because it's actually about things aside from the romcom hijinx and I actually understand the reasons why people would fall in love with the protagonist, oatmeal as he might be.

The anime might not get that across very well, considering it covers only early stuff, which is a shame.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd like harems and reverse-harem's more if the main lead's weren't braindead cardboard cutouts with no personality.

I know a lot of these shows are probably based on virtual novels where the main leads are meant to be self inserts or something but c'mon!

Normal harem: lead is a blank-slate idiot. extra points if/when the females abusing him is played for laughs.

Reverse harem: lead is a blank slate idiot. extra points if/when the males abuse her and she thinks it's love.

Also what is it with the females grabbing other female boobs? Is that a japan thing or something? Nah, just a male writer thing. lol
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, Boyzos I really appreciate the column! So far it has done me a service at least three times now so totally worth reading to see if a show really is worth my time. There are so many shows a season now, I concentrate only on the one or two that seem might be my "cup of tea" but there are those like BokuBen here that I would never give a look at based on synopsis' or 1st episode reviews. In fact, I stayed away from this one because of them! Since your column is like an "abridged version" of the first half-3/4 of a show, you give a better sense of how/where it is going (reading through the delightful humor).

Some shows I was curious about and avoided based on your column and was not regretful and several others I checked out even when you gave them a whoopin' and still liked them (I also appreciate an awful show if it the right type of awful). I took your advice on BokuBen and started and boy howdy were you right! I get an absolute kick out of Asumi and the dynamics of her and the other girls and so far the comedy is hitting on all cylinders for me. I'm not as sensitive to low-key guy protagonists and in this case, I'd be just like him. He isn't actually as much a blank slate as some others, he is just very deferential but offers up solid opinions and doesn't waffle when it comes down to needing to speak up. I've picked up another show for the season and can't wait to see how this goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3