• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Recovers Data From Server After Studio 1 Fire

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
A very small consolation given the enormous loss of life, but at least it's something.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
My hope is that the recovered work belongs at least in part to the people who died, so that something of their hard work and devotion to animation can be honored in that way.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider this small. While we have no details on what is on the server, the art that Kyoto Animation created was their lives. Those people spent countless hours making the art. Losing it would be like losing parts of the lives that they lived. To many artists the art we make means so much more than just paper and ink. To many of the people working there, it was their dream job. It was said to have been a very happy and positive place to work.This can't be compared to actual life lost of course but I still consider this a not-small win overall. It's more things to help keep their legacy alive. The more of their work that remains, the better. Not just for us, but for their memory as well.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Kind of strange that they would announce this without saying what the data contains, but presumably it's backups of at least some (recent?) work they thought was lost.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Depending on what was in that server it could be some of the best news so far. It could be the digital versions of all or most of the artwork and finished anime that just got recovered and is no longer lost forever.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Kind of strange that they would announce this without saying what the data contains, but presumably it's backups of at least some (recent?) work they thought was lost.

Not really. Mainly for the reason that people understandably don't want to overemphasize the products they are working on versus the focus on those who died. So it's not necessary information for us to know about. But it's safe to say that it has whatever work we know Studio 1 was working on that happened to be backed up. So if/whenever Kyoto Animation begins work again they'll have something to start from.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
This is majorly good news; the legacy of the studio - and of those who have passed away - is in in their projects, past and future. Knowing those projects are still preserved gives a lot of hope for KyoAni's future, even in the wake of the irreplaceable deceased.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
My hope is that the recovered work belongs at least in part to the people who died, so that something of their hard work and devotion to animation can be honored in that way.

It's the server where the daily work was stored, it's their "final works"!
I just hope, I'm almost praying here, that there isn't a catch like "the backups were weekly or monthly". Shocked
pikopika

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Here's to best wishes for Kyoto Animation and their recovery!
geepee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
still,with a lot of people who were doing these works gone,they are no longer going to be what they initially wanted to,right?It will be just something else.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Anything still in the making will feel different, for sure; we can only hope that whomever takes up the mantle next can bring solidarity tho the project(s) again.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
So this kinda broaches a subject that I inquired about prior. What did their Corp Disaster Recovery plan and offsite backup strategy look like? All businesses run risks when operating from Natural Disasters (Fire/Flood/Earthquake..etc) I would find it highly unusual that there is NO process in place.

These days its common knowledge in the Corporate world to have some kind of Disaster Recovery plan in place. This protects against catastrophic loss, and allows a company to mitigate damage from unexpected events. Off-site storage would be the most basic premise of this.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

It's the server where the daily work was stored, it's their "final works"!
I just hope, I'm almost praying here, that there isn't a catch like "the backups were weekly or monthly". Shocked

As an IS professional of 25 years, I don't think that's the case. For any major enterprise I've been involved with, daily backups are mandatory. I've seen management sweat bricks after only 2-3 days when consecutive backups fail, and usually by then vendor hardware support is on site.

As for the rest, the mere thought that this server contains the final labors of such talented artists fills me with profound sadness and bittersweet hope in equal measure.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
So this kinda broaches a subject that I inquired about prior. What did their Corp Disaster Recovery plan and offsite backup strategy look like? All businesses run risks when operating from Natural Disasters (Fire/Flood/Earthquake..etc) I would find it highly unusual that there is NO process in place.

These days its common knowledge in the Corporate world to have some kind of Disaster Recovery plan in place. This protects against catastrophic loss, and allows a company to mitigate damage from unexpected events. Off-site storage would be the most basic premise of this.

Indeed. At my last company, disaster recovery drills were held yearly. Backups more than a few days old were kept offsite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1