• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Stars Align ED Animation Allegedly Copies Dance Choreography Without Permission

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I think it's not that uncommon, a bunch of animators use real life or other anime references/inspiration when drawing, especially if it's complex movement. But to go on youtube and copy large parts of two dances seems just lazy. It wouldn't be that much more effort to watch a bunch of different dance videos and combine certain movements to get something more unique.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. Yeah, animators commonly use reference materials (which is why *most* animators shoot the video themselves), but seeing that dancers have been compensated in other works for use of their choreography, that really should've been the case here. :/
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
did they copyright these dances or what?

Choreography is subject to copyright on the same basis as any other artistic medium; it's not one of the ones like photography subject to special rules.

For the details of what that means I point you to the internet or your local reference library.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Even in the U.S., Person/Show/Movie A has had similar dance moves or song tunes to that of Person/Show/Movie B for along time. So, why is this anime's dance moves getting singled out right here and now? Sure, I recognize at least crediting the source of inspiration helps, but still.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2