• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Angel Beats! Complete Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
I don't know what is this other epiloge thing, but it sure is sad U.S. viewer are deprived of it just because they don't live in Japan. And on another note, I wish ANN would wait until the BD is out so we can get a full review of Angel Beats! I for once would like to know more than the story or impression of the story. Why doesn't ANN even touch things like the quality of U.S. DVDs/BD (were they done well? how do they look in comparison to the Japanese source? is the BD a DVD upscale or actual 1080dpi?), the packaging and the audio channels available? Technical stuff are as important to us fans as is the story and visuals. Sorry for the rant, but it seems nobody actually pays attention to these things here on ANN, ever.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
I don't know what is this other epiloge thing, but it sure is sad U.S. viewer are deprived of it just because they don't live in Japan.

You're also deprived of Japanese pricing. Sometimes a little deprivation can be a good thing.

Quote:
I wish ANN would wait until the BD is out so we can get a full review of Angel Beats!

The BD is out. Official release dates mean little when many retailers don't wait for the release date to start shipping.

Quote:
actual 1080dpi?

So a 1" tall monitor?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote
Currently watching this one. I'm on episode three and loving it. Great mix of comedy, over-the-top action, and dramatic bits. I REALLY hope this one lives up to all of the hype I've read online. Madoka was another super hyped one I was praying would be the next addition to my favorites, but the ending really didn't do it for me.

Also, I'm proud of my fellow fan for not raging on about the missing epilogue. This is a beautiful looking show and shouldn't be passed off for such a ridiculous reason.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
"Its excellent balance of music, humor, action, drama, and emotion"? Never thought anybody could feel that way about Angel Beats Shocked Indeed, it's always amazing how tastes (and perceptions) can differ.

To me, AB was one horribly disappointing series, badly written, badly directed, one of the worst the whole year 2010 had to offer. I'd replace "excellent balance" with "big mess", that ends with a big plot hole spoiler[how can Kaede have been in the afterworld way longer than Otonashi, if she had been alive longer (and apparently a lot longer) than him.] "Few viewers will correctly anticipate the truth" because it makes no sense ><

I say that this is one of the best highly anticipated series released in 2010. I found the series to be effective at what it does. When it did humor, I laughed. And when they did that whole gimmick with the hypnotist back story, I nearly cried.

The only problem I had with the show was how Otonashi spoiler[was toally in love with Angel when the series didn't really develop any sort of relationship between them past the line of friendship/comrade.] Especially since I understand Japanese, the way Otonashi sounded so dramatic when spoiler[he confessed] made it feel too forced. The ending was definitely the biggest draw back of the series, but it was still an effective series nonetheless.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the 2½ minute short made as an alternate epilogue

Whoa, what alternate epilogue? Shocked

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this series, it's one of my favorites ever!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
I could only make it through about 3 episodes before shutting this off. Really disappointing. Shrill, annoying stereotypical characters who's existence the series attempts to justify by giving them hilariously dissonant, almost horror-movie-like backgrounds. An interesting premise derailed by a goofy execution. Lazy character designs (When I first saw the red-headed main, the thought that immediately popped into my head was, "Hey! That's every harem lead ever, right there...)

Maybe things get better? But I really don't care. The above pretty much squashed and outweighed any desire to see where the hell this series go.
Bingal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Aside from the unimpressive plotting, what really aggravated me about Angel Beats was just how laughably manipulative the drama was. It felt like a full-blown soap opera without any subtlety, character nuance, or just deeply fleshed out characters in general. Add to that that I found the dramatic proceedings to be too contrived to feel natural, and I'm left with something that utterly failed to intrigue me in any sort of way.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
I don't know what is this other epiloge thing, but it sure is sad U.S. viewer are deprived of it just because they don't live in Japan. And on another note, I wish ANN would wait until the BD is out so we can get a full review of Angel Beats! I for once would like to know more than the story or impression of the story. Why doesn't ANN even touch things like the quality of U.S. DVDs/BD (were they done well? how do they look in comparison to the Japanese source? is the BD a DVD upscale or actual 1080dpi?), the packaging and the audio channels available? Technical stuff are as important to us fans as is the story and visuals. Sorry for the rant, but it seems nobody actually pays attention to these things here on ANN, ever.

dpi is sensitivity on a mouse, nothing to do with video.
It should be 720p upscaled to 1080p, i.e. what Japan got.

Yes I hate most BD/DVD reviews for this reason too, review the disks, not just the series. With serious mess ups over audio on BDs (e.g K-on!) it might be good to at least list what it actualy has.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:
Aside from the unimpressive plotting, what really aggravated me about Angel Beats was just how laughably manipulative the drama was. It felt like a full-blown soap opera without any subtlety, character nuance, or just deeply fleshed out characters in general. Add to that that I found the dramatic proceedings to be too contrived to feel natural, and I'm left with something that utterly failed to intrigue me in any sort of way.

Oh me too. The pasts of main girl and the band leader were presented so rediculously overbearing and just clashed so much with the otherwise goofyness of the show I couldn't help but be more compelled to laugh then be moved.

And the climax of the first episode. You're telling me that everyone pulled this big, elaborate operation and risked existensial life and limb to get...meal tickets? And we're suppose to find this exciting and thrilling...seriously?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
One of my favourites from 2010. This thread and the original discussion thread in the Anime forum show that love of the show was/is far from universal, but it worked for me big time. Of course the show had its flaws as does virtually every series out there, but there was so much that did work for me that it was easy to overlook them.
chichiri_chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
Just one thing I thought I should point out about the review. Unless the openings are different from the Japanese releases, there wasn't any need for Sentai to sub the names in the openings. If you look closely, the names are written in light pastels in English underneath the more darkly colored Japanese names. If you're watching the blu-ray on your computer or a nice TV, you can see them just fine. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

On a personal note, I'm really happy this series is getting a U.S. release. I love my Japanese blu-rays, but it'll be nice to watch it with friends and family who can't speak Japanese. I cried so hard on several of the episodes. I'm not normally a Key fan, but I thought this was pretty awesome. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. I would have liked to learn a little bit more about the various characters.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
My opinions of this show fall pretty much in line with this review. This is the first Key-backed series that wasn't based off of an already made game. So obviously the story isn't quite as tight-nit and the characters do not all get their moments to shine. One thing to note though is that Angel Beats! is a "multimedia project". The anime shows just one part of the story. There are also manga and light novels that shed more light on the characters. I'm reading one right now that's about the origin of the Afterlife Battlefront, before Otonashi even appeared.

That aside, the anime did a pretty good job. I thought that there were a few moments where the drama didn't flow well at all (Naoi/Otonashi and Yui/Hinata's moments in particular), but I agree that the ending was extremely well done.

The "high tension" OVA is just hilarious. Very Happy So I'm happy that Sentai was able to get that in this release.

Last thing I'll say is that I love the music. I favor Iwasawa's vocals, but all the tracks in the Angel Beats OSTs are wonderful!
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
I thought AB was so bad I didn't even finish watching the fansubs... at least until friends pressured me to go back and give it another try.

So I did, and my opinion didn't change.

Good first episode. Great OP and ED. Interesting concept. Nice character designs. Good lead (Yuri). Acceptable ending.

Yet most of the rest of the meat of the series is pretty painful to sit through, and the number one offender is the constant mood whiplash the horrible "comedy" exerts (followed closely by the super heavy-handed drama, which I expected from K/VA, but still). I can understand trying to soften the blow, but man, those things really eclipsed everything the show did right and left a bad taste in my mouth. Overall I think the story wasn't bad, but the execution was.

Just so that I'm not all negative on the comedy aspect, there were a few times I did think it worked--in particular the test-taking part with the rocketing desk chairs Very Happy The OVA is a riot, too.

I'm also grateful to AB for inspiring TAMUSIC's awesome Angel album, so that's a plus, too.

Edit: Oops, name typo

Last edited by Veers on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
Didn't know about this 2 minute short which I'll search for when I'm done with the dub.
I'm getting tired of hearing Hilary's voice with cute annoying characters (Mio in Needless, Yui in Angel Beats, Suni in Guin Saga). I liked her voice acting with Maria in Canaan but we need a new Full Metal Panic anime so she and Patton show their best.
loka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
For not being based around music, Angel Beats had far better music than K-On and Beck combined.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5