• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Character Gets Name Change Following Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Has it ever been confirmed that the doctor who said Izuku was quirkless is the same dude? Cause if it hasn't they shouldn't be using this picture. I'm not sure since I don't read the manga..

Nope, I guessing they twins since they look like the same person.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear this isn't an American controversy.

The bulk of the people who have a problem with this are in China & Korea. Hell a Chinese publisher actually discontinued sales of MHA eBooks over this.

Other people can get mad too.
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
I did not know that, good on Kohei Horikoshi for changing the name. I hope people would understand why the change needed to happen and move on and don't make it a big deal.

I dont if you made a character naned athur hitler or vinny musolini i wouldnt give 2 shits. Hell mel brooks decades ago was doing shit like this in his works with the producers.

Hell people went after FGO during Nobunobu event due to potential allegations of WWII and when it came out it has nothing to do with it at all. These people are far too sensitive.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

My guess would be....since the whole thing got started since some Korean fans were able to got the scans early (how on world they got it on MONDAY this early is beyond me) , but as an official news source, ANN is unable to use illegal or leaked source outside of anime announcements, so they just decided to use a similar-looking character...
Just my 2 cents

Embarassed

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Just to be clear this isn't an American controversy.

The bulk of the people who have a problem with this are in China & Korea. Hell a Chinese publisher actually discontinued sales of MHA eBooks over this.

Other people can get mad too.

The west and Japan have been surprisingly supportive throughout this endeavor its China and Korea who are being unreasonable. They are also spamming MHA's billibili pages with 1-star reviews and Korean artists and closing/deleting their twitter accounts. This is all so sad.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

My guess would be....since the whole thing got started since some Korean fans were able to got the scans early (how on world they got it on MONDAY this early is beyond me) , but as an official news source, ANN is unable to use illegal or leaked source outside of anime announcements, so they would just resort to....this?

Just my 2 cents

Embarassed

When they made the article, the chapter has already been out in English for a couple of hours. The picture they using is basically the doctor
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
MHA fans are the biggest crybabies I swear

You do know the basis of this controversy relates to warcrimes that is still an ongoing & extremely touchy subject between Japan, China, & Korea right?

Which was never the author's intent and was sprung on by people who read illegal scans and have been sending death threats harassing him to apologize for crimes he didn't even commit all for some preconceived notion that he's a fascist the same shit people tried to push on the Kimetsu author due to Tanijiro's earrings design. He already apologized and they're going to change his name to accommodate to the outcry which is a lot more than they deserve considering how they acted and continue to act as I'm typing most artist would have flat out ignored them (Isayama) and carried on their work.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
MHA fans are the biggest crybabies I swear

You do know the basis of this controversy relates to warcrimes that is still an ongoing & extremely touchy subject between Japan, China, & Korea right?

Which was never the author's intent and was sprung on by people who read illegal scans and have been sending death threats harassing him to apologize for crimes he didn't even commit all for some preconceived notion that he's a fascist the same shit people tried to push on the Kimetsu author due to Tanijiro's earrings design. He already apologized and they're going to change his name to accommodate to the outcry which is a lot more than they deserve considering how they acted and continue to act as I'm typing most artist would have flat out ignored them (Isayama) and carried on their work.

Which means these people aren't even fans, just something else entirely. Something that's been harassing other authors long before this & will continue do so long after sadly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
That’s pretty tasteless. And I have a hard time believing that it’s a coincidence, or that Horikoshi is ignorant of history.

I’m glad that Shueisha and Horikoshi are responding to legitimate criticism from fans. It’s too bad that they probably feel they can’t be honest about whether the name was chosen on purpose.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
To me, that name sounds more shallow/cliche than offensive--like naming a bad guy Adolf or something--but if so many people are bothered by it, what's wrong with changing it? They aren't censoring some important part of the story. It's just a name, making an ill-advised reference to some real-life horror.

Krunky wrote:
Which was never the author's intent and was sprung on by people who read illegal scans and have been sending death threats harassing him to apologize for crimes he didn't even commit all for some preconceived notion that he's a fascist

Twitter mobbing someone and amplifying extreme viewpoints? Must be a day of the week. I can't condone that either, but, fundamentally, it's not worth worrying about over this specific thing. The author named a character something that rubbed people the wrong way, so he changed it. End of story. Doesn't do us any good to get worked up over other people's worked-up-ness; that's the whole reason social media behaves the way it does.
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
That’s pretty tasteless. And I have a hard time believing that it’s a coincidence, or that Horikoshi is ignorant of history.

I’m glad that Shueisha and Horikoshi are responding to legitimate criticism from fans. It’s too bad that they probably feel they can’t be honest about whether the name was chosen on purpose.

People really don't get how nuanced the Japanese language is do they? Not even Japanese readers considered it was even a reference to that because its so far removed from his regular naming conventions.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey Krunky, we get your opinion. At this point you're responding to everyone and flooding the thread, not having an actual conversation with anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Hey Krunky, we get your opinion. At this point you're responding to everyone and flooding the thread, not having an actual conversation with anyone.

I'm just correcting people on their misconception on the situation. I didn't mean to flood the thread.
ETX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dr. Ujiko made his first appearance as the creator of the Nomu in episode 33 of the My Hero Academia anime and chapter 59 of the manga.

This is incorrect.

spoiler[His first appearance was in Episode 1 of the anime and chapter 1 of the manga respectively. It is the same doctor.]
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yikes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9