• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Removes Interspecies Reviewers Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Welp, time to wait for Mediablasters to make a move.

There're still a thing right? I saw their booth at Otakon last year so I assume they're still alive, albeit on life support.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
In the meantime, the show just jumped on # 2 in top of the best anime of all time on MAL.
I know people like to meme and riot, but this is ridiculous.

Men of Culture. Every last one of them Razz
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
In the meantime, the show just jumped on # 2 in top of the best anime of all time on MAL.
I know people like to meme and riot, but this is ridiculous.
Nobody is even going to remember this show in another two months.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
And now Tokyo MX has canceled its airing.
James_xeno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
Truly **** everyone trying to dictate what is and is not allowed. As well as and especially their enablers/handwavers/apologizers inside and out of the fandom!

Also to the OP.. It's an animation, there is no legality question.

MarthKoopa wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm curious what exactly got this series pulled. As a feminist, I couldn't care less about Interspecies Reviewers because it's not my cup of tea, but it's also upfront about what it is from the getgo. Rolling Eyes

The sex scenes involving characters that look like children are a pretty big reason to cancel it

You do understand what fiction and fantasy mean, don't you?? It means not real, fake, made up..

It's scary and pretty creepy seeing the number of people out there who are incapable of distinguishing fiction/fantasy from reality..
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
Truly **** everyone trying to dictate what is and is not allowed. As well as and especially their enablers/handwavers/apologizers inside and out of the fandom!

MarthKoopa wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm curious what exactly got this series pulled. As a feminist, I couldn't care less about Interspecies Reviewers because it's not my cup of tea, but it's also upfront about what it is from the getgo. Rolling Eyes

The sex scenes involving characters that look like children are a pretty big reason to cancel it

You do understand what fiction and fantasy mean, don't you?? It means not real, fake, made up..

It's scary and pretty creepy seeing the number of people out there who are incapable of distinguishing fiction/fantasy from reality..

Agreed.
And I find MarthKoopa's comment about "children" being involved especially strange. How many anime feature actual children, not merely "young looking characters" being exposed to horrible violence and getting outright killed, yet there is no outrage for that? It is a bizarre double-standard indeed when violence seems to not draw these people's ire, but the mere suggestion that a young-looking (but not actually underage) character might be involved in sexual activity does. Nevermind the fact that young-looking but actually of age anime characters are dirt common.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
LiteMangime wrote:
I swear, if you ask me, all this bad press from feminists, to streaming services jumping ship, it just garners more attention for the series and makes it more relevant in the news and I love it Laughing

As far as I can tell, this is the extent of what animefeminist has written about Interspecies Reviewers:

Quote:
Pit of shame
These shows need to go to their room and think about what they’ve done.

Interspecies Reviewers (Episode 1): Fantasy dudebros review their sexual experiences with various humanoids; there’s heavy fanservice, but it’s the rape culture that damns it.

Not surprising that they wouldn't care for it; still, note the complete absence of anything resembling "We demand that companies remove this degenerate filth from their services!"

I haven't seen much supposed "feminst outrage" either, so I'd say you're 100% correct that feminism is not the reason for the show being taken down.

But man, that animefeminist review is beyond ridiculous.
I've read it carefully four times now and I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out what the author is actually trying to say. There are a great many words on the page, a lot of hyperbole (and even some lesbian poetry!), but very little is actually said.
The author seems to believe that the show contains "rape culture", but I'm not sure what this show actually has of that. There's no rape in it.
The author seems concerned that Crim, a hermaphrodite, feels like he must hide the fact that he has female sex organs from the others. I would think that someone who was big on LGBTQ issues would be happy to have a main character who doesn't fit stereotypical gender norms.
The author seem to complain about excessively large breasts, while one of the things that stuck out to me in Reviewers was the lack of any one standard of "beauty". Plenty of anime play up one particular fetish or another...a gaggle of lolis, or perhaps it's nothing but tall, big-breasted dominant types, or maybe a yaoi title with a group of athletic young men with rock-hard physiques, etc. Reviewers has no focus on any one thing and in fact many of the "reviews" feature preferences that are radically outside of stereotypical norms. This is not a show which panders to the generic stereotype of the big-boobed blonde bimbo or the perfect Nadeshiko flower, this is a show which celebrates diversity. The diversity of races, preferences, body types, and opinions is the root of the humor of the show and is its entire *point*.

Speaking of which, did anyone notice that this is a classic D&D fantasy sort of world, and yet it seems completely lacking of the normal racism which those sorts of shows usually have? There's nothing stereotyping dwarves as drunken louts, or that elves and orcs hate each other, and so on. Even fantasy races which are traditionally seen as evil seem to be treated exactly the same as everyone else. I can only assume the author stuck that lesbian limerick in there to complain about the lack of same-sex subject matter in the show...and that falls flat too, as it does indeed explore those issues as well, though admittedly not in the first episode.

It is a show that's 100% upfront about it's bawdy humor subject matter. It's plastered with content warnings. There's no way you would be surprised getting into this show, and when you do, I think it's important to note just how diverse it actually is. This is not a show which perpetuates old-fashioned stereotypes, this is a show which shatters them.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:

MarthKoopa wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

You can't just handwave the problems and concerns JUST because it's animation. That's a real dumb argument.

AkumaChef wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
LiteMangime wrote:
I swear, if you ask me, all this bad press from feminists, to streaming services jumping ship, it just garners more attention for the series and makes it more relevant in the news and I love it Laughing

As far as I can tell, this is the extent of what animefeminist has written about Interspecies Reviewers:

Quote:
Pit of shame
These shows need to go to their room and think about what they’ve done.

Interspecies Reviewers (Episode 1): Fantasy dudebros review their sexual experiences with various humanoids; there’s heavy fanservice, but it’s the rape culture that damns it.

Not surprising that they wouldn't care for it; still, note the complete absence of anything resembling "We demand that companies remove this degenerate filth from their services!"

I haven't seen much supposed "feminst outrage" either, so I'd say you're 100% correct that feminism is not the reason for the show being taken down.

But man, that animefeminist review is beyond ridiculous.
I've read it carefully four times now and I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out what the author is actually trying to say. There are a great many words on the page, a lot of hyperbole (and even some lesbian poetry!), but very little is actually said.
The author seems to believe that the show contains "rape culture", but I'm not sure what this show actually has of that. There's no rape in it.
The author seems concerned that Crim, a hermaphrodite, feels like he must hide the fact that he has female sex organs from the others. I would think that someone who was big on LGBTQ issues would be happy to have a main character who doesn't fit stereotypical gender norms.
The author seem to complain about excessively large breasts, while one of the things that stuck out to me in Reviewers was the lack of any one standard of "beauty". Plenty of anime play up one particular fetish or another...a gaggle of lolis, or perhaps it's nothing but tall, big-breasted dominant types, or maybe a yaoi title with a group of athletic young men with rock-hard physiques, etc. Reviewers has no focus on any one thing and in fact many of the "reviews" feature preferences that are radically outside of stereotypical norms. This is not a show which panders to the generic stereotype of the big-boobed blonde bimbo or the perfect Nadeshiko flower, this is a show which celebrates diversity. The diversity of races, preferences, body types, and opinions is the root of the humor of the show and is its entire *point*.

It's really not that complicated. Going by the review as I haven't seen the show itself, Crim is essentially a Trans Man, having to hide his vagina for fear of being raped. That's not what you'd call the most positive representation. Your post is the equivalent of looking at the predatory lesbian you see in anime these days and saying, "It's fine! It's same-sex romance! So progressive!" You seem stuck on this whole idea that just because there's a variety of monster girls and it's not the *usual* waifus it's progressive. It's not. It's just a very basic "Guys like sex! Guys like guys trying to get sex." premise. That's what the review is saying. The review DOES applaud the variety of designs though, to be fair. Any kind of alternate viewpoint on sex is shunned by the guys because "That's not what manly man on woman sex is about!" It's a very limited purview.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

You can't just handwave the problems and concerns JUST because it's animation. That's a real dumb argument.

Not because it's animation. Because it's fiction.

Quote:
It's really not that complicated. Going by the review as I haven't seen the show itself, Crim is essentially a Trans Man, having to hide his vagina for fear of being raped.

Crim is not trans. Crim is a hermaphrodite. Crim has both organs. There was a joke made about Crim hiding his female organs for fear of being raped, but I don't think there is any way one could take it seriously. None of the characters have ever made any sort of attempt to rape anyone in the show. Crim saying "oh I hope I don't get raped" is little different from someone saying "I better not be late or my boss in gonna kill me". Just as how your boss would not literally end your life for you being late, neither would Stunk and Zel take Crim against his or her will. None of the characters in the show would actually rape Crim, or anyone else for that matter, though I'm sure they'd crack jokes.

Quote:
That's not what you'd call the most positive representation.

No, it's not perfect, but I feel it's a more of a step in the right direction than the author thinks.
Quote:

Your post is the equivalent of looking at the predatory lesbian you see in anime these days and saying, "It's fine! It's same-sex romance! So progressive!" You seem stuck on this whole idea that just because there's a variety of monster girls and it's not the *usual* waifus it's progressive. It's not. It's just a very basic "Guys like sex! Guys like guys trying to get sex." premise.

It's not saying that at all. Had you actually watched the show or read the manga the girls are just as bawdy as the boys are. This isn't just a case of "boys being boys around willing women", this is a case where everyone is on a level playing field. In many cases it's Stunk and his buddies who are in the submissive role. And just to be clear, when I speak of diversity, I don't mean that there's a bunch of different monster girls. I mean there's a whole bunch of everything. Stunk, Zel, and Crim are the main characters, but the "reviewers" have a rotating cast of recurring characters from all manner of fantasy races. They all have their unique views on a variety of topics, not just the focus of the show. If you can look past the sex jokes the show is amazingly diverse, and everyone seems very accepting of each others quirks. There are sex jokes everywhere, but there is no racism, no factions, no fighting, no body/gender/belief/etc-shaming.

Quote:
Any kind of alternate viewpoint on sex is shunned by the guys because "That's not what manly man on woman sex is about!" It's a very limited purview.

By "the guys" I assume you mean Stunk, Zel, Crim and the gang? Let me assure you that if you read the manga those characters most certainly do not shun everything but "manly man on woman sex". In fact, quite an early chapter involves the main characters imbibing a magic potion which turns them into women so they can experience the act from a female perspective. Unlike many anime which plays the gender-swap from a humorous perspective, this actually takes a fairly serious look at it which I thought was a nice change. A another relatively early chapter turns the tables: the guys visit a brothel run by literal succubi. In this case it's the succbi who pay the men for their services and let's just say that it's not Stunk and Zel who are calling the shots on this one.

Reviewers certainly is deserving of some criticism, but I think that review is going far far overboard, and specifically it's based on a knee-jerk reaction of just one episode (though I must admit, at least it's up front about that)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4