• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Worst Anime Relationships

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

The difference is Saito is given a crest that gives him unbelievable power, while Raphtalia's slave crest only benefits the owner. I don't like Saito and Louise's relationship either and I found Raphtalia and Naofumi to be above there (Inuyasha and Kagome is also bad)

It doesn't look bright since the discussion was manly a few people on the site didn't like the show and the discussion become ANN attacks Shield Hero. People should step back and realize sometimes people will have a bad reaction to a show you like. If people learned that, I think the anime community would be a lot better

Bzzt. The slave crest does benefit Raphtalia. Aside from the political and social protections it provides her, there is the fact that any slave of the Shield Hero gains a substantial boost to the rate at which they level up/gain power.

She may not have been thinking of that when she returned to being his slave. But it is still there.

I have to agree with that - Demihumans have so little legal protection in the starting nation that without the crest a noble could potentially kill her to ZERO repercussions from what I have seen and read about the series. It might be a crappy benefit but the world they are in is a crappy place.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
The slave crest does benefit Raphtalia. Aside from the political and social protections it provides her, there is the fact that any slave of the Shield Hero gains a substantial boost to the rate at which they level up/gain power.

She may not have been thinking of that when she returned to being his slave. But it is still there.

That isn't protections if the King throws Shield Hero in jail for a crime. All his property would be turned over to the government and slaves are property. Those benefits are not that good if you think about it (besides the exp). If the show explains how the slave crest better maybe people wouldn't have as much as a problem
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...it doesn't really make the situlation any better. She is still a slave, it doesn't matter how much freedom she has, the fact that the Hero at any point could take away her freedom won't sit well with many people. The leash is just longer.

Now why is SH so bad relationship wise, because it feels like taking the worst aspects of Naruto and Hinata along with Sakura and Sasuke and turning it up a knot.

You have the one sided love of Sakura, submissiveness of Hinata, combined with the romantic denseness of Naruto and the uncaringness of Sasuke. Not to mention the Father-Daughter complex that is constantly hanging over the pairing. But lets say we over look that growling puma in the room. It still would be awful because the crest thing means she could never really have a real disagreement.

It doesn't make for a good relationship at all and I think if someone submitted a story like Rising of a Shield Hero to Romance publisher the manuscript would be thrown into the trash can and rejected. Rising of the Shield hero works as an action driven story but fails as a romantic one and that's why I think it should be first on the list.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I do have to jump on the wagon on Sakura/Sasuke.

She's completely possessive, overly jealous, and goes abusive if anyone even tries to hit on the boy, while he's struggling with losing all his clan and at the time not knowing the truth behind it. He did NOT need the smothering that she was all but willing to do and if the episode of Naruto disguised as Sasuke is to be any example, she would've jumped on him quick without consent. The boy needed to be treated as a person and not her personal toy. But I'm not excusing his behavior either. He was a time bomb waiting to happen and that seperation when he betrayed the village should have been a wake up call and instead, showed she pined for him more. It was a trainwreck.

Now the whole Vegeta/Bulma thing, when I watch the show, it seemed to be Vegeta was the abused one considering Bulma would rather hit him and yell and scream at him to get him to submit. That man needs to divorce her while he still has a head on his shoulders, even Beerus is scared of her.

While not a "couple" per say, no one mentions Eren and Mikasa from Attack on Titan. You'd need to read the manga to get what I mean on this one.

Another couple no one's said on is Yuuki and Kaname from Vampire Knight...OMG...that one...there's no words...

spoiler[First off, we're told they're siblings. Then it turns out they're not, that he's the ancestor of the Kurans and was using her in his game and she still wants him to the point they have sex on his last day alive, she gets pregnant, has his daughter, then 1000 years later after Zero dies, decides to kill herself to resurrect him as a human and doesn't give a DAMN over her own two daughters.]

I did think of Usagi Drop, yet as someone once told me, we don't talk on the manga, we disown the manga, so not going there. lol

I'll probably think of a few more soon.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
Yeah...it doesn't really make the situlation any better. She is still a slave, it doesn't matter how much freedom she has, the fact that the Hero at any point could take away her freedom won't sit well with many people. The leash is just longer.

Now why is SH so bad relationship wise, because it feels like taking the worst aspects of Naruto and Hinata along with Sakura and Sasuke and turning it up a knot.

You have the one sided love of Sakura, submissiveness of Hinata, combined with the romantic denseness of Naruto and the uncaringness of Sasuke. Not to mention the Father-Daughter complex that is constantly hanging over the pairing. But lets say we over look that growling puma in the room. It still would be awful because the crest thing means she could never really have a real disagreement.

It doesn't make for a good relationship at all and I think if someone submitted a story like Rising of a Shield Hero to Romance publisher the manuscript would be thrown into the trash can and rejected. Rising of the Shield hero works as an action driven story but fails as a romantic one and that's why I think it should be first on the list.

Anyone that actually watches/read Shield Hero would know Naofumi literally turns off all the negative aspects of the slave crest and it just becomes a glorified symbol that gives her stat boosts and insane strength growth (That makes her stronger then the other heroes). Raphtalia CONSTANTLY disagrees with Naofumi and voices complaints, and he almost always listens to her opinion. She's never a submissive character in the slightest and that's shown as early as episode 3 in the anime. Also the story isn't a romance and Naofumi doesn't look at her in that way period. spoiler[ Even if they do get together later in the light novels it would be long after she got the crest removed which she has after becoming a hero herself ]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I would like it point out that blessing of ragnarock has a sister slave thing going on with all members of the harem and would be a far better example then shield hero for slavery is not a real relationship argument.

It feels sometimes like some people on the ANN staff go after shield hero not for it's actual content or because it did something actually wrong. But because it is popular and because of it's perceived fan base

that said I feel bad for jacki since I feel like you can't actually address something like shield hero for the things it does wrong. Because you just flat out can't address the nuance of the issue in a paragraph. So that makes it super hard to get to any reason you have with the relationship, that can't just be immediately shoot through with holes.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to go, my top 5 worst relationship dynamics in anime and stating that the relationships are examples versions of that dynamic.

Also once again raphtalia and naofumi's relationship does have negative and eck elements in it that you could say that they deserve to be on my list. But there is also a ton of really positive and beneficial aspects to their personality so you are going to have a major uphill battle convincing people that it's a premier example of a bad anime relationship without your reasoning sounding shallow, especially if you only have one paragraph to do it it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
But there is also a ton of really positive and beneficial aspects to their personality so you are going to have a major uphill battle convincing people that it's a premier example of a bad anime relationship without your reasoning sounding shallow, especially if you only have one paragraph to do it it.

One paragraph? All it takes is one sentence.
You cannot have a meaningful relationship with someone you treat as property.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Anyone that actually watches/read Shield Hero would know Naofumi literally turns off all the negative aspects of the slave crest and it just becomes a glorified symbol that gives her stat boosts and insane strength growth (That makes her stronger then the other heroes).

Er, where in the anime version is he shown or described doing this? It's still very much active in the mid-series scene where he uses it to find Filo when she's hiding.

I'll grant you that he doesn't abuse what the crest can do, but that's kinda beside the point here. It's what being a slave (even if in name only) symbolizes, and the reality that Naofumi could use it to forcefully control them, that bothers people about this series and always will. That's not going to change no matter how arguments defending the series are couched.

Now, the whole Shield Hero thing is getting done to death (again!), so let's move on to something else, shall we?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
But there is also a ton of really positive and beneficial aspects to their personality so you are going to have a major uphill battle convincing people that it's a premier example of a bad anime relationship without your reasoning sounding shallow, especially if you only have one paragraph to do it it.

So how does naofumi treat raphtalia poorly. I mean you can find examples but, nothing in the books or anime is going to be anything remarkable at all lets be honest here.

@key
Basically due to the game mechanics of the world raphtalia gets bonuses for exp growth and other aspects just like Filo due to how naofumi's stat tree affects his party members. Do I think it can be a weird side eye thing Yay, but it does actually provide her physical bonuses .

The Positives she gets from the crest are more often social in that it forces people to treat her will because otherwise they will be forced to deal with the owner (naofumi) being disrespected because anything done to one's slave is same as doing it to there master in their world. that is she is able to go into restaurants and do the same things as naofumi is because of him.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Anyone that actually watches/read Shield Hero would know Naofumi literally turns off all the negative aspects of the slave crest and it just becomes a glorified symbol that gives her stat boosts and insane strength growth (That makes her stronger then the other heroes).

Er, where in the anime version is he shown or described doing this? It's still very much active in the mid-series scene where he uses it to find Filo when she's hiding.

I'll grant you that he doesn't abuse what the crest can do, but that's kinda beside the point here. It's what being a slave (even if in name only) symbolizes, and the reality that Naofumi could use it to forcefully control them, that bothers people about this series and always will. That's not going to change no matter how arguments defending the series are couched.

Now, the whole Shield Hero thing is getting done to death (again!), so let's move on to something else, shall we?

Move onto what? It's literally the top spot on the article so discussing it is definitely on topic :l Also Filo doesn't have a slave crest in the same way Raphtalia does, her's is one that is meant to control Filoials and Naofumi never turned off the disobedience aspect of her crest because she outright just did her own things and was out of control multiple times. Raphtalia doesn't have that though, he turned off her slave crest and made it so even if she disobeyed him it wouldn't shock or hurt her anymore. It doesn't outright show that in the anime but it's clear with how their relationship is presented but it's explicitly stated to be something Naofumi does once she willingly becomes his slave again in the light novels. She can literally speak out and not listen to anything he tells her and the crest will not affect her.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Anyone that actually watches/read the series knows Naofumi DOESN'T treat her as property and that before any actual kind of romantic relationship ever happens that spoiler[ Raphtalia gets the crest removed permanently and becomes a hero herself. ]
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Also Filo doesn't have a slave crest in the same way Raphtalia does, her's is one that is meant to control Filoials and Naofumi never turned off the disobedience aspect of her crest because she outright just did her own things and was out of control multiple times. Raphtalia doesn't have that though, he turned off her slave crest and made it so even if she disobeyed him it wouldn't shock or hurt her anymore. It doesn't outright show that in the anime but it's clear with how their relationship is presented but it's explicitly stated to be something Naofumi does once she willingly becomes his slave again in the light novels. She can literally speak out and not listen to anything he tells her and the crest will not affect her.

Really? None of that came across in the show at all to me, and rather sounds like a complete rewrite.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Also Filo doesn't have a slave crest in the same way Raphtalia does, her's is one that is meant to control Filoials and Naofumi never turned off the disobedience aspect of her crest because she outright just did her own things and was out of control multiple times. Raphtalia doesn't have that though, he turned off her slave crest and made it so even if she disobeyed him it wouldn't shock or hurt her anymore. It doesn't outright show that in the anime but it's clear with how their relationship is presented but it's explicitly stated to be something Naofumi does once she willingly becomes his slave again in the light novels. She can literally speak out and not listen to anything he tells her and the crest will not affect her.

Really? None of that came across in the show at all to me, and rather sounds like a complete rewrite.

Go read the light novels, it's literally what happens. Raphtalia DOES not have to follow Naofumi's orders and can disagree with him whenever she wants, he turned off the slave crest so that it wouldn't hurt her or cause pain but left the beneficial aspects like the stat boosts. The anime just doesn't get into the nitty gritty of those aspects but it's definitely not a rewrite, it's just more subtle in the anime.

Last edited by Catsplay on Tue May 19, 2020 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
No, that does sound like a rewrite, like the anime adaptation took away its leading girl's entire autonomy for god knows why.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
No, that does sound like a rewrite, like the anime adaptation took away its leading girl's entire autonomy for god knows why.

Just because the anime didn't explain what Naofumi did doesn't mean it didn't happen so you can't really call it a rewrite. It's the issue when anime adaptations remove eternal monologues but saying it's an outright rewrite would mean showing proof Raphtalia was commanded to do something she didn't want to do or that she got shocked by pain everytime she disagreed with Naofumi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9