• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ComiXology, Kodansha Comics to Publish Shaman King Manga Digitally on July 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
^You people can be killjoys. Always have to conform to your standards instead of embracing a different cultural viewpoint. Good thing Japan doesn't take requests from overseas.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
^You people can be killjoys. Always have to conform to your standards instead of embracing a different cultural viewpoint. Good thing Japan doesn't take requests from overseas.

I'm very sure you don't even know what we're referring to. Take your "cancel culture" nonsense elsewhere.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:30 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
https://twitter.com/minovskyarticle/status/1285609745680945154?s=21

It looks a little like the Viz translation but the kana for the SFX is left in, which I think means it's new.

That's a shame. Digital only is already a hard sell. Knowing it's the censored Viz version just kills any desire to really get or support this. I was hoping it'd be a new translation and uncensored.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

It looks a little like the Viz translation but the kana for the SFX is left in, which I think means it's new.

That's a shame. Digital only is already a hard sell. Knowing it's the censored Viz version just kills any desire to really get or support this. I was hoping it'd be a new translation and uncensored.

I mean, the only thing that's censored is parts of one character basically being a racist caricature. And we don't know for sure yet if they're also doing those edits(besides changing the name, which was also changed in every other media depiction before the character even appeared in Viz's version). But if that's a shame to you, cool I guess. Confused
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

When the "different cultural viewpoint" is literally making a black character look like someone from a minstrel show that's definitely a problem.
Joa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

I mean, the only thing that's censored is parts of one character basically being a racist caricature.

This isn't true. Viz removed hemp leaves from Yoh's clothes at several points, removed some Christian imagery and censored Ponchi's testicles.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

I mean, the only thing that's censored is parts of one character basically being a racist caricature.

This isn't true. Viz removed hemp leaves from Yoh's clothes at several points, removed some Christian imagery and censored Ponchi's testicles.

Ah, yes, forgot about those. Didn't even know about the Jesus one, wow.
Sailor Siren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
One of my "favourite" removals was a sign on some chapter's cover - Yoh stands in front of a shop with a plastic bag in his hands and there is a sign in japanese; translation says "Cold Drinks". Real japanese word reads as Tobacco. Anime hyper
There were also attempts to localize names into western ones akin to localized dub: the ghost of inn, where Yoh and Anna live, in his first appearance was named as "Ernie L. Cake"(chapter 19 of volume 3). He was renamed correctly(Tamegoroh) in his later(in final volumes) appearance.
I hope this would be corrected in new version.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:34 am Reply with quote
Shaman King came out back in the era when they were publishing the American version of Shounen Jump. They censored a lot of manga back then to lower the age rating and make it more accessible to audiences and get into stores without shrinkwrap. Even Hikaru no Go had alterations. I also imagine the anime adaptions of Dragonball, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Shaman King were airing on Toonami/4Kids TV at the time meant they wanted to synergism with those dubs as well and keep the same target age bracket in mind.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Welp turns out it's getting a brand new translation after all so looks like this whole conversation was kinda pointless Laughing
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Welp turns out it's getting a brand new translation after all so looks like this whole conversation was kinda pointless Laughing

No one said they were using Viz's translation though? Since Viz and Kodansha are different companies?
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Divineking wrote:

No one said they were using Viz's translation though? Since Viz and Kodansha are different companies?

The entire argument in this thread has been under the assumption this was reusing Viz's translation, and all the visual edits from their release
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Divineking wrote:

The entire argument in this thread has been under the assumption this was reusing Viz's translation, and all the visual edits from their release

A couple people have asked if there's a new translation, which naturally there would be for the reason I stated. Mostly folks have been arguing whether or not the racist visual representation of one character should continue to be edited. The other various edits(Ponchi's junk, the hemp leaves, the gravestone, etc), will likely be unedited.

Rolling into a conversation with "L0l, arGumEnt's a wAste!!" is just kinda lame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2