• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naoshi Arakawa's 'Farewell, My Dear Cramer' Manga Listed With Film, TV Anime Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Does the protagonist have a traumatic abusive childhood because his dad was a strict soccer coach, so he refuses to play, but some obnoxious brat of a girl harasses him into playing again, and it's all treated like it was for his own good? Oh, and the protagonist, despite his child abuse backstory, is constantly used for violent slapstick? Oh, I also hope that they try to make us feel sorry for his abusers, even though they're perfectly aware what they did was wrong and did it anyway. I'd also like a shitty love-triangle between the obnoxious girl and the childhood friend who throws a bitch-fit because she got friendzoned.

You could've just said "Man, I really hope this isn't anything like Arakawa's other big manga..." instead.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
You could've just said "Man, I really hope this isn't anything like Arakawa's other big manga..." instead.

I could have, and Arakawa could have written a series that didn't have a problematic approach to dealing with abuse and trauma. The fact that so many people are blind to this is a problem and it needs to be pointed out.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

I could have, and Arakawa could have written a series that didn't have a problematic approach to dealing with abuse and trauma. The fact that so many people are blind to this is a problem and it needs to be pointed out.

I think Shigatsu is trash too. Thankfully, this series is nothing like that. It's really just a sport manga. Sayonara Football has a little of drama revolving around Onda not being able to keep up with the boys physically speaking, despite being technically much better than then. She still kicks ass though.
In Sayonara Watashi no Cramer Onda entered high school and they have a girls team now so it's just straightforward sports manga with tournaments and aiming for the national championship and such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2