• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shaman King Anime's Teaser Reveals Cast, Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:34 am Reply with quote
Old censored dubs really need to be left in the past. Outside of a couple that refuse to die like Pokemon and Beyblade, those days are gone. Let them stay dead. No more silly stereotypical accents

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There was also Sean Schemmel doing a fake Spanish accent for Ryu for some reason. I know the Shaman King dub is nostalgic for a lot of fans but nowadays you have dubbed anime and voice acting in animation in general moving into a direction of more authentic diverse casting for characters that going back to the stereotyped accents of the 4Kids days would feel like a step backwards for the sake of appealing to nostalgia

It wasn't just 4Kids, a lot of companies used to do that like Tenchi's making Ayeka British, or all the Osaka characters being Texans/Southerners. Some of them still do like Yuri on Ice's dub having stereotypical accents.
batwing321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:58 am Reply with quote
The actors don't need to do accents, that's not what I'm asking for. I just think they still would be great in their roles, however they're directed this time.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
Yuki Hayashi is scoring this anime too huh. I dunno, I think the guy is very clearly a skilled composer but as someone who watches both MHA and Pokemon I'm starting to feel a bit numb to his work (especially in Pokemon since it's on every week and frankly I don't think alot of the tracks he's done for it, aside from a handful like Team Rockets motto theme, really stand out that much.)

I've been reading through the manga for the first time recently so maybe I'll put it on hold to read along as the shows episodes come out.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
Can't say the staff gives me much confidence aside from Yuki Hayashi (and the fact that it's being done by a smaller studio doesn't make me all that optimistic they'll have the sense to change Chocolove's design a bit if they want any hope of selling this show internationally) but this is probably gonna be running for a couple of years at least so it probably only needs to look serviceable for better or worse.

As someone who's pretty attached to the 4Kids dub of the old series, aside from getting back Tara Sands as Anna since she was pretty good in the role, and is probably the most readily available of the old cast whether this is done in Texas or Cali, and maybe Sean Schemmell as Amidamaru if they can manage it, I'd be pretty okay with a total cast rehaul. It was definently one of 4Kids better acted dubs, and I liked a lot of the cast, but a lot of those performances wouldn't work without the weird accents they were given, and I sure as heck wouldn't want those sticking around in a modern dub.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
This has been my favorite series for over 15 years, and I can honesty say I don't really like how the PV looks. Something about the style or animation seems real off to me. :/
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
That’s a lot of stuff you pointed out and not really minor. But you left out how creepy Ryunosuke is as well.

Would’ve helped if I remembered at the time who he was and the creepy stuff he did Razz

Unlike Faust whose creepy routine I do remember.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There was also Sean Schemmel doing a fake Spanish accent for Ryu for some reason. I know the Shaman King dub is nostalgic for a lot of fans but nowadays you have dubbed

I remember this...and poor Meta Knight being hit with it too
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Sorry I don't know what you guys are even talking about the animation in this trailer looks absolutely clean they even animated the sprite of Fire ( who could have easily 3D and looked very ugly) this adaption is looking to be very good lord knows a lot of the new anime in today's age isn't even good anymore.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
This has been my favorite series for over 15 years, and I can honesty say I don't really like how the PV looks. Something about the style or animation seems real off to me. :/

Have you seen Hiroyuki Takei's art work lately?
This looks more like current art style rather than his old one

dark13 wrote:
good lord knows a lot of the new anime in today's age isn't even good anymore.

Oh look, the "old shows good, new shows bad" mantra, seriously that (and vice versa) is never a good opinion to have

Yes, there's a lot of shit being produced now, but there was just as much crap being made in the olden days too, but noooo we gotta shit on the new stuff because nostalgia goggles

For the record there are good newer shows, it's just that they sadly don't get the attention they deserve (at least internationally)
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Have you seen Hiroyuki Takei's art work lately?
This looks more like current art style rather than his old one

I mean it's the style he's more or less been using for 11-12 years of the 15 years I just said I have been following it? I never said that it didn't look like his current style. I said it seemed off, which could very well be the cheap-ish-looking animation in the PV.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
batwing321 wrote:
My greatest wish is if we could get the 4Kids cast back without the 4Kids censorship.
I don't know if some of the casting choices 4Kids made for the Shaman King dub would be appropriate for an anime dub in 2020, like giving Ren who is Chinese a pseudo British accent.

Not to mention the guy who voiced Ren, Andrew Rannels, is a famous Broadway actor now.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember the creator turned down a new series previously due to wanting the original composer and voice cast back. I'm glad he got half of what he wanted? Japan frequently recasts for reboots (Hunter x Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, etc.) so it's refreshing having most of the cast reprise.

Never watched or read Shaman King growing up so this reboot will be my first exposure to the franchise.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There was also Sean Schemmel doing a fake Spanish accent for Ryu for some reason.

I always assumed it was because of his design. The pompadour hair is associated with bancho and delinquents in Japan, but in America I guess they see it as some kind of cassanova/Spanish lover hair.

Divineking wrote:
Can't say the staff gives me much confidence aside from Yuki Hayashi (and the fact that it's being done by a smaller studio doesn't make me all that optimistic they'll have the sense to change Chocolove's design a bit if they want any hope of selling this show internationally) but this is probably gonna be running for a couple of years at least so it probably only needs to look serviceable for better or worse.

I don't see why they would change Chocolove just for Americans. Promised Neverland seemed to do just fine despite some people complaining about Sister Krone. These designs aren't really seen as a big deal in Japan, although maybe whoever licenses it might censor it but that's on them if they try to market it towards kids here again.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Romi Park will be back as Tao Ren. If they recast that it will be sort of disappointing. I mean I don't mind Yo getting re-cast actually. On a side note I hope this means some company over here purchases the old Shaman King for a re-dub or a re-release over here because of this.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally thrilled at the prospect of seeing this series animated again. SK was the first manga that started my collection and the original anime holds a special place in my heart. It'd be a lot of fun to hear the voice actors from back then revisit the characters but I can also understand if they go with an entirely new cast.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I don't see why they would change Chocolove just for Americans. Promised Neverland seemed to do just fine despite some people complaining about Sister Krone. These designs aren't really seen as a big deal in Japan, although maybe whoever licenses it might censor it but that's on them if they try to market it towards kids here again.
They gave Mr. Popo a redesign for DBZ Kai and Hunter x Hunter 2011 also updated Canary's design from the original anime so it's not unheard of for anime to update problematic character designs in a reboot. If I recall, the Promised Neverland anime did in fact tone down Sister Krone's design from the manga. They likely won't market Shaman King to kids again but I can see it being on Toonami if someone like Funimation gets it and that they would try to market it to a wide mainstream audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4