• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Lee Isaac Chung to Direct Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
no thanks, anime looks better.

How do you know the live-action version will look bad, despite the fact that neither a promo image or a trailer has been released yet?
Why are we animation fans if we're to prefer Live Action? Anything that the actors can't do will just be computer graphics,a form of animation, trying to copy live action.

Usually you remake something if there is something 'wrong' or needs updating in a film. Why wold you need to 'update' an animated film within years of its release? The premise is clear "Animation is looked down upon" and that is not one that I or some other anime fans wish to support.

"I like this...but I can't be proud of it until there is a live action version" is a mindset I have long outgrown.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago I probably would have been really peeved at Hollywood getting their mitts on another anime/manga to try to contort into a typical Hollywood film, but I think I've reached the point where I can just ignore it. No matter how dubious an adaptation or poor a movie they might make, the original will still be there and it will still be wonderful. And if by some chance they come up with a genuinely good "western viewpoint" version of the same basic story like it says the Japanese rights holders want, then that's great. Either way, I think it's time to stop letting Hollywood anime adaptations live rent-free in our heads.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hold on a second here; am I understanding the article correctly?

This project has actually been greenlit?!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
The Japanese rights-holders wanted a Western take of the movie (if they wanted a Japanese take, that's what the animated film is)

So that's what they're getting
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Frankly, people are too paranoid about this.

The story of Your Name is one that will adapt much easier into live-action form than most anime will, since it isn't a visually fantastical concept at all. (Yes, Shinkai's visual style is undoubtedly a contributor to the movie's success, but it's nowhere near as big a factor here as it is in, say, Weathering With You.) And gee, it's not like Hollywood has never successfully done body-swapping stories before, or stories about spoiler[people communicating across time in a situation where one of them is dead in the present and the one that's alive in the present is trying to save the one that's dead]. . .

I am also actually heartened to see that the Japanese rights holders have requested a "Western interpretation." The only aspect of this story that is specifically Japanese is the part about Mitsuha performing religious duties (and work-arounds for that could be managed readily enough) and rest is a broader concept that crosses cultural boundaries, so why force the issue by trying to be perfectly faithful?. Put this in the hands of a director familiar with handling interpersonal stories (which it sounds like they've got) and I can easily see this working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Let the white washing begin. I don't expect a diverse cast, but wouldn't it be something if the two leads within the film had families of different ethnic or racial backgrounds?

Nah that would require someone to think instead of copy paste the script.

Last edited by ranran-001 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
no thanks, anime looks better.

How do you know the live-action version will look bad, despite the fact that neither a promo image or a trailer has been released yet?
Why are we animation fans if we're to prefer Live Action? Anything that the actors can't do will just be computer graphics,a form of animation, trying to copy live action.

Usually you remake something if there is something 'wrong' or needs updating in a film. Why wold you need to 'update' an animated film within years of its release? The premise is clear "Animation is looked down upon" and that is not one that I or some other anime fans wish to support.

"I like this...but I can't be proud of it until there is a live action version" is a mindset I have long outgrown.

I don't think that is the mind set at all. As a anime fan, I just think it would be interesting to see what a live action adaptation would look like. A Hollywood failure doesn't hurt my viewing pleasure of the original anime. In 1990, who would have thought that there would be a Hollywood adaptation of the Lord of the Rings, much less that it would be a successful one. Hollywood can fail at anything, not just anime.

The key is not to say something shouldn't be made, but rather to enjoy the successful ones when they work out.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am also actually heartened to see that the Japanese rights holders have requested a "Western interpretation." The only aspect of this story that is specifically Japanese is the part about Mitsuha performing religious duties (and work-arounds for that could be managed readily enough) and rest is a broader concept that crosses cultural boundaries, so why force the issue by trying to be perfectly faithful?. Put this in the hands of a director familiar with handling interpersonal stories (which it sounds like they've got) and I can easily see this working.

I wouldn't say that Mitsuha's religious duties are the only specifically Japanese thing about the movie... I think Your Name became a super mega hit (as opposed to simply just a hit) was that it managed to touch the collective Japanese PTSD re: 3/11, with the sort of sentimental melodrama that tends to be very popular with mainstream Japanese audiences. And this aspect would be extremely difficult to replicate for a mainstream, non-Japanese audience who 1. don't have the sort of visceral reaction to domestic disaster movies Japanese audiences still had at the time, and 2. are not really into the kind of melodrama Your Name represents and does. So "westernization" is pretty much the only way to make the story feel familiar and relatable to a more general western audience.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I wouldn't say that Mitsuha's religious duties are the only specifically Japanese thing about the movie... I think Your Name became a super mega hit (as opposed to simply just a hit) was that it managed to touch the collective Japanese PTSD re: 3/11, with the sort of sentimental melodrama that tends to be very popular with mainstream Japanese audiences. And this aspect would be extremely difficult to replicate for a mainstream, non-Japanese audience who 1. don't have the sort of visceral reaction to domestic disaster movies Japanese audiences still had at the time, and 2. are not really into the kind of melodrama Your Name represents and does. So "westernization" is pretty much the only way to make the story feel familiar and relatable to a more general western audience.

I was referring to Japanese in a cultural sense. PTSD over 3/11 is specific to an event, rather than Japanese culture. Also, I never saw the story so much as a melodramatic one as a sentimental one. (Sentimentality is a Shinkai staple, after all.) Emphasize this as a teen romance of star-crossed lovers (which this basically is) and it'll sell to Western audiences, especially teen ones if marketed right.

And if that's "Westernization" of the story in your eyes, well, that's not a problem, is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
SHD wrote:

I was referring to Japanese in a cultural sense. PTSD over 3/11 is specific to an event, rather than Japanese culture. Also, I never saw the story so much as a melodramatic one as a sentimental one. (Sentimentality is a Shinkai staple, after all.) Emphasize this as a teen romance of star-crossed lovers (which this basically is) and it'll sell to Western audiences, especially teen ones if marketed right.

And if that's "Westernization" of the story in your eyes, well, that's not a problem, is it?

Where did I say it was a problem? I was just adding my reasoning as to why the rights holders may have wanted to "westernize" the story.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Frankly, people are too paranoid about this.

I did not mean to come across as paranoid; I am just shocked that something like this has been greenlit -- even with the story being adapted into non-Japanese culture. I hope that this project works out well for everyone involved; I really do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2