• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Evangelion TV Series & Death (True)2, End of Evangelion Films for BD, DL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mamo-chan wrote:
Love Hina could go for a re-dub. Those awful Texan accents. My ears Sad

Umm, Love Hina was dubbed in California, though... Question (Recall that it was originally released by Bandai before Funimation re-licensed it.) And like Netflix's NGE dubs, it had a lot of involvement from the Japanese side, as well.

To reflect the Kansai-ben dialect, Kitsune spoke in a Texan accent in the dub.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Count me in the group who is (pleasantly) surprised to see this outcome; I was figuring Funimation or maybe Discotek would probably get the series eventually. I, too, look forward to seeing just how much content GKIDS will be able to/interested in including for the set - although I'll probably buy it anyway.
I'm also curious if this preludes GKIDS picking up more TV shows in the future; I'm sure there are plenty of other gems sitting unlicensed or unloved out there.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Damn, there is one thing I have realised with this, and will mean no ADV dub: It has theatrical, physical media and EST (download to own) rights. It probably licensed this from Netflix meaning that it will be the Netflix dub that would be on them with no chance of the ADV one. Given that Netflix license acquisition was only recent, this is the only possible scenario that I can see because there would be no way it would expire only a year after acquiring it, and they would want to cash in more on the popularity some how.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
It probably licensed this from Netflix meaning that it will be the Netflix dub that would be on them with no chance of the ADV one.

The article on their website specifically mentions King Records.

https://gkids.com/2020/10/03/gkids-acquires-north-american-rights-to-neon-genesis-evangelion/

Quote:
The deal, finalized on the eve of the storied saga’s 25th anniversary, was negotiated by GKIDS’ President David Jesteadt and King Records.

Speaking of the 25th Anniversary, ironically at the same time this was announced, it was also announced as licensed for Blu-ray in Hong Kong, Spain & France.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:21 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
It probably licensed this from Netflix meaning that it will be the Netflix dub that would be on them with no chance of the ADV one.
The article on their website specifically mentions King Records.
https://gkids.com/2020/10/03/gkids-acquires-north-american-rights-to-neon-genesis-evangelion/
So, same company ADV Films had to go through. Starchild is a now defunct King Records label.

Whether the dub is included is dependent on Khara who seems to despise it, and then there's also a chance ADV owns it, as it was first produced in the 1990s when dubs were the property of those who made them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
Great news! Right on the 25th anniversary too!
I purchased the Japanese box back in 2015 looks wonderful.
Xe4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm also surprised to see GKIDS pick up Evangelion considering the only other shows they've distributed were "A Town Called Panic", which was very short, and "Ronja, The Robber's Daughter" to fill out their Ghibli collection.

Can't say I've ever cared for Eva but this does make me hopeful they will take a more active role in picking up obscure series either from Japan and elsewhere. The only other distributor I could see picking up such titles is Discotek and even then they would likely ignore shows that come from outside Japan.

I wonder if they're diversifing their output because of the increasing difficulty of getting Oscar nominations due to companies like Netflix. I doubt anyone but GKIDS knows for sure, though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Xe4 wrote:

Can't say I've ever cared for Eva but this does make me hopeful they will take a more active role in picking up obscure series either from Japan and elsewhere. The only other distributor I could see picking up such titles is Discotek and even then they would likely ignore shows that come from outside Japan.

I would love to see GKids license the World Masterpiece Theater shows.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Xe4 wrote:

I'd love for ANYONE to license the World Masterpiece Theater anime! Those shows absolutely deserve more love here than they get!
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
This rocked my world when I read about it. What could GKids do that Funimation couldn't? Details of the deal aside, I am over the moon that I will finally get to own Eva on blu-ray. I honestly never thought it was going to happen.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just not aware of some behind the scene drama, but what is with the few post regarding Funimation and the Rebuild movies?

Did Funimation miss a chance to licence 3.0+1.0? Did GKIDS announce the licenced all of the Rebuild quad?

What am I missing.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I have practically every Evangelion release from VHS, to all of ADVs DVD collections. And that includes Manga Entertainments release of D&R and End of Evangelion.

A BR release of Eva could be great, or craptastic. Best bet would be to include both ADV and Netflix Dub. Any loss of original music or editing in anyway is an instant NOPE on my part.

As for GKIDS.. sigh I guess with 2020 nothing surprises me anymore.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Maybe I'm just not aware of some behind the scene drama, but what is with the few post regarding Funimation and the Rebuild movies?

Did Funimation miss a chance to licence 3.0+1.0? Did GKIDS announce the licenced all of the Rebuild quad?

What am I missing.
Anno reportedly wasn't too pleased with Funimation's initial dub of Eva 2.0 and made them redub the whole thing. They also made some comments criticizing Khara's decision to go with Netflix instead for the original series back when it was first announced. The first Rebuild movie is already OOP so it's up in the air if Funimation will get the fourth movie.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I'd love for ANYONE to license the World Masterpiece Theater anime! Those shows absolutely deserve more love here than they get!

I have yet to see World Masterpiece Theater, so I would also be happy to see them get licensed. They do sound like just the sort of classic title GKIDS would take interest in.

Last edited by Gurren Rodan on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:19 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:

What am I missing.
Anno reportedly wasn't too pleased with Funimation's initial dub of Eva 2.0 and made them redub the whole thing. They also made some comments criticizing Khara's decision to go with Netflix instead for the original series back when it was first announced. The first Rebuild movie is already OOP so it's up in the air if Funimation will get the fourth movie.

Not sure about Eva 2.0, but I know there were issues with recording the dub for 3.33. Part of the delays for Eva3.33 on blu ray was from some lines needing to be re-recorded from the North American theatrical release (which having seen Eva3.0 in theatres via the English dub... I thought the acting was perfectly fine in theatres). That being said - it wouldn't surprise me if Khara was fed up with FUNimation & just decided to take their business somewhere else based on the crazy delays on that last movie.

May 24, 2014:
https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/470285730154295297
Quote:
"News on Eva 3.33: @funimation says it's still on hold. Working "closely" with studio khara to "make it closer to original vision."

A good recap of all the delays for 3.33 is in the link below :

http://www.evamonkey.com/evangelion-3-33-release-date-revealed-by-funimation-at-new-york-comic-con/

Also, keep in mind this timeline gathered from the "Release" section on Wikipedia - those delays weren't short:

Eva 3.0 Japanese Theatre Release: November 17, 2012
Eva 3.33 Japanese Blu ray Release: April 24, 2013

Eva 3.33 begins being shown at cons in the US @ Jpop Summit Festival 2013 in San Francisco on July 27, July 29 and August 4, 2013.
Eva 3.33 North American Blu ray released: February 2, 2016
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6