• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
You think whoever wrote this series was like "Oh yeah. Inuyasha fans are gonna love this sequel. Who even needs Inuyasha and Kagome in the story?"?

If next week is the legit finale, then this must be one of the worst anime sequels next to Toei's Saintia Sho (even the manga author of Saintia Sho had to apologize for Toei)

Hey, what about Last Exile: Fam and Eureka Seven AO?
Waterdragon884

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I know just about everyone wants this spin-off to disappear, but do they really want Inuyasha and Kagome to be stuck in that Pearl forever? There’s too many unanswered questions.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Waterdragon884 wrote:
I know just about everyone wants this spin-off to disappear, but do they really want Inuyasha and Kagome to be stuck in that Pearl forever? There’s too many unanswered questions.

Yashahime could still surprise us and tie all the loose ends by cramming them in 24 minutes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
James, your episode 23 review had me laughing the whole way through! Thanks for that!

Of course, I’d like it better if the show weren’t so mock-able, but, they’re the ones introducing Capital Letter Named Mystical Objects in the second to last episode without explaining what they do, so, that’s on them.

And what’s with this show and indifferent parents?! Sesshomaru’s Mom, SeshMoMaru (I had to read the pun twice to figure out it wasn’t a misspelling. Brilliant! Kudos!) certainly doesn’t care about her son or her grandkids. It sucks that the show only cares about her because of her relationship to them, and I bet she wishes she had a name and people stop referring to based on the son she’s “eh” about. And she seems to be rooting for her granddaughters demise, so, Anime Mom of the Year right here, huh?. Meanwhile, Sesshomaru’s basically a chip off the old block in not giving much of a damn about his progeny, only showing up to criticize Setsuna for using a power she didn’t know she had and he never told her how to deal with. Guess he at least isn’t rooting for them to be killed, but that’s a low bar.

He does care about Rin, who is stuck in a tree and will die if Zero dies...for some reason.

And Zero. It’s clear to me that Riku maybe thinks of her as his mom, cares about her and wants to save her and her powers (more than she cares about those things, her life, her powers, herself). But the feeling is definitely not mutual.

All Zero cares about is being jealous and spiteful that Grampyasha didn’t have babies with her. And SeshMoMaru doesn’t seem to care about anything but her pride as a demon. Her prerogative, I guess. At least we see where Sesshomaru gets it from.

I’m not making any predictions about next episode but I will note that I took Osamu Kirin-sensei’s meeting with Papa Sota and his family as a threat. Why does he want to threaten them? Especially since Towa’s not in the right time period to react to it? And How did he become a teacher with zero credentials? I have no idea!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
As someone who stopped watching many, many weeks ago, and has only been reading these reviews....

Quote:
What is the Windmill of Time? I don't know! All that Kirinmaru mentions is that Sesshomaru has been seeking something called Akuru's Pinwheel. What is that? I don't know! Later on, we see a kid named Akuru with a pinwheel that Sesshomaru completely ignores so…yeah, no, I've got nothing.

...I strongly suspect you've also stopped watching and are just making things up. Each new detail feels increasingly implausible, like you're just begging someone to call your bluff. This just can't be a real show.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
James, your episode 23 review had me laughing the whole way through! Thanks for that!

Of course, I’d like it better if the show weren’t so mock-able, but, they’re the ones introducing Capital Letter Named Mystical Objects in the second to last episode without explaining what they do, so, that’s on them.

And what’s with this show and indifferent parents?! Sesshomaru’s Mom, SeshMoMaru (I had to read the pun twice to figure out it wasn’t a misspelling. Brilliant! Kudos!) certainly doesn’t care about her son or her grandkids. It sucks that the show only cares about her because of her relationship to them, and I bet she wishes she had a name and people stop referring to based on the son she’s “eh” about. And she seems to be rooting for her granddaughters demise, so, Anime Mom of the Year right here, huh?. Meanwhile, Sesshomaru’s basically a chip off the old block in not giving much of a damn about his progeny, only showing up to criticize Setsuna for using a power she didn’t know she had and he never told her how to deal with. Guess he at least isn’t rooting for them to be killed, but that’s a low bar.

He does care about Rin, who is stuck in a tree and will die if Zero dies...for some reason.

And Zero. It’s clear to me that Riku maybe thinks of her as his mom, cares about her and wants to save her and her powers (more than she cares about those things, her life, her powers, herself). But the feeling is definitely not mutual.

All Zero cares about is being jealous and spiteful that Grampyasha didn’t have babies with her. And SeshMoMaru doesn’t seem to care about anything but her pride as a demon. Her prerogative, I guess. At least we see where Sesshomaru gets it from.

I’m not making any predictions about next episode but I will note that I took Osamu Kirin-sensei’s meeting with Papa Sota and his family as a threat. Why does he want to threaten them? Especially since Towa’s not in the right time period to react to it? And How did he become a teacher with zero credentials? I have no idea!

Sesshumom is a tsundere, she loves her son but likes to act as if she doesn't, that's why she looked annoyed when Zero said he was gonna be sad or something.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tsunderes can be a fun trope to use for a character in a romantic relationship. It doesn’t work for a parent, especially not one who has literally barely spent any time raising his kids, or even talking to them (maybe Sesshomaru wrote those letters to Setsuna, maybe Jaken did. He didn’t sign them).

How is Setsuna supposed to know that her dad cares about her? He never spent time with her, he never spoke to her, never took her to visit her mom in the tree. I don’t think she even recognized him the first time she saw him.

Listen, Inuyasha fans weren’t expecting Sesshomaru to be lovey-dovey towards his kids and act like Maes Hughes. But we thought he would show he cared by protecting them and maybe training them. Instead, he was just absent completely. We can tell he cares a little, because he erected that barrier in the woods for them when they were newborns and seems upset when he notices that they’re in danger. But Setsuna and Towa probably don’t know that, and they don’t know him from Adam (or Jaken). How would they know he cares about them?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
But Setsuna and Towa probably don’t know that, and they don’t know him from Adam (or Jaken). How would they know he cares about them?

In a show where nobody cares enough to ask the obvious questions, that is not much of a problem. How do we in the audience know that Setsuna and Towa actually care about their mother and father? We don't, but based on their actions and Moroha's too, nobody cares about their family connections or the lack of them. You could well believe that machines/AI devoid of the knowledge of human interactions wrote these scripts, because these characters don't behave like real people. We can't even have any empathy for these characters because they are so empty and souless. Really, would you actually want to meet them if they were as real as you and me. No for me, I'd be scared of them.

All you can do is scream to the heavens, "why did they write it this way?" The only answer I can think of, this show was meant for little kids, and not the original audience of Inu Yasha.
RR529

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
At this point I hope the series gets a second season, just so it can have a chance to fix at least some of it's problems.

This is probably the only chance we'll get at an *InuYasha* sequel, and it's been massive wasted potential. Of all the mediocre to bad sequels like *DBGT/Super*, *Eureka 7 A.O.*, & the myriad of *Tenchi Muyo!* sequels/spinoffs, *YashaHime* is undoubtedly the worst, and I'm not mad, just incredibly disappointed.

How hard could it have been to keep the families together, and just have the kids decide to go off on their own to explore the world (because they're "fudel era adults", and half demons would want to prove themselves anyway), get involved in some monster of the week shenanigans from village to village, learn of a big bad, get ahead of themselves & be saved by their parents, trained by their parents, and then step up to defeat said big bad to fully come into their own?

Seriously, Sesshomaru is going to be cold & aloof in the best of times because that's just who he is (and Rin couldn't help them too much even if she was around as she lacks any combat ability/magic whatsoever), and have Kagome take on more of Kaede's duties so she just can't leave the village willy nilly, with InuYasha understandably not wanting to leave her side for a long period of time, so there's no logical reason they couldn't have done this.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Tsunderes can be a fun trope to use for a character in a romantic relationship. It doesn’t work for a parent, especially not one who has literally barely spent any time raising his kids, or even talking to them (maybe Sesshomaru wrote those letters to Setsuna, maybe Jaken did. He didn’t sign them).

How is Setsuna supposed to know that her dad cares about her? He never spent time with her, he never spoke to her, never took her to visit her mom in the tree. I don’t think she even recognized him the first time she saw him.

Listen, Inuyasha fans weren’t expecting Sesshomaru to be lovey-dovey towards his kids and act like Maes Hughes. But we thought he would show he cared by protecting them and maybe training them. Instead, he was just absent completely. We can tell he cares a little, because he erected that barrier in the woods for them when they were newborns and seems upset when he notices that they’re in danger. But Setsuna and Towa probably don’t know that, and they don’t know him from Adam (or Jaken). How would they know he cares about them?

Hey, I never said she is a good or logical character Very Happy
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
What do you guys think are the odds of they fixing everything with time travel so the series never happens?

That's the only way I see this ending in one season, that's the only way they can answer all the questions: by not having to do it.

Last edited by Minos_Kurumada on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
q_3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Final scene: Setsuna wakes up. "What a strange dream."
RR529

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:24 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
What do you guys think are the odds of they fixing everything with time travel so the series never happens?

That's the only way I see this ending in one season, that's the only way they can answer all the questions: by not having to do it.

I've kinda been theorizing this for some time. I know the SessRin fandom has been more receptive to the series than others simply because it confirmed the ship (though it's not like it's depicted any actual romantic moments between the two, which is something I know the niche wants), but what has it given to literally any other segment of the fanbase?

If you're following for InuYasha & Kagome, the only thing this series has given us is that they had to give up their infant daughter (who was later sold into indentured servitude), and have been shut off from the world for 14 years, effectively written out of the series. Miroku & Sango (well, Miroku at least) have gotten on a little better, but not much (I mean Hisui is around, but they don't give him much to do). And then of course you have Shippo, or the lack thereof.

I know the twins are the main focus & that's great, but the original series still took time to build up Miroku, Sango, Sesshomaru, Kikyo, & even Shippo even though InuKag were the main focus, so *YashaHime* really doesn't have any excuses. It's not like these are exactly small niches of the fan base (InuKag in particular is naturally the largest segment of the fanbase), so surely they know the series as is hasn't really given them anything to like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
Realistically, by the time Kagome and Inuyasha get back, they should have about 5 or 6 younger siblings for Moroha in tow...
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
In the Yashahime's reddit somebody watched the whole thing again and ended with 42 questions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Yashahime/comments/m7na7d/questions/

And we have only one episode left, the funniest part is that a lot of the questions come from the last 3 episodes.

There is gonna be another season or they fix everything with time travel... thought, it would be hilarious if they try explain everything in one go.

Kinda like the X-Files' ending where spoiler[the last 3 episodes were the main cast explaining the whole plot to the audience and filling blanks with over one hour
of exposition]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29