• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess, in a way, Rin got her wish in the end.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but the issue is we still haven't reached a point where Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha either know or care about the fates of their parents.

This is my main quibble right now. It makes me wonder why even bother making our three protags the daughters of Inuyasha and Sesshomaru if that relationship does not in any shape or form inform their characters or relationships with each other. Not sadness from the separation, not anger or begrudge for being abandoned, not pride for their accomplishments, not even a basic curiosity for their legendary parents.

The missing parents mystery is not a problem of its own if only it served as some sort of motivation for the characters or a source of conflict, but Setsuna and Towa didn't even know Sesshomaru was their father until Moroha told them, and Moroha herself doesn't seem in the slightest bothered by being separated from her parents; Inuyasha himself hasn't even been mentioned by name at all. Their absence is a mystery for us, the audience, but the girls don't really seem to care at all and have barely aknowledged it. And even after the treexposition this week, the three girls don't even know they're cousins. So it's really puzzling and frustrating but not really in an interesting way. It just kind of beats the purpose of giving us "the story of X's children" if X is completely irrelevant to both the plot and the children's character

Quote:
The Tree of Ages tells the Half-Demon Princesses that they must defeat Kirinmaru, and in doing so, destroy Sesshomaru, who has allied with him.

From what I understood, Sesshomaru isn't allied with Kirinmaru, he just decided not to take up his father's "throne" so to speak and is instead off doing his own thing, whatever that may be.

Agent35 wrote:
Am I the only one who likes Towa? Honestly, I love all the girls in the Cousin Squad. Towa is the perfect balance between Setsuna’s haughty chilly exterior (which was given a lot of context) and Moroha’s impulsiveness. Towa has a white knight’s honor, but a grounded 21st century outlook and an expressive connection to her emotions.

I'm with you on Towa! For sure Moroha is the star of the show, but I think as far as characterization, all three girls are pretty interesting individuals and diverse enough to give us a fun dynamic once they start bouncing off each other. I definitely like how Towa is cool, and headstrong but also naive and compassionate
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
No matter how meh and/or perplexing this sequel has been so far, it was very fun and satisfying to see Moroha use the "iron reaver soul stealer" and "blades of blood" attacks Very Happy
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah for how much they were hyping that transformation it was pretty lame, I was expecting her to turn into wolf demon form/werewolf, not just slightly red. Plus she didn't really feel more powerful, considering the attack she used were the weak stuff Inuyasha was using before he got his sword, its kinda lame as a super power. Also, how did the son get the head back without noticing Mokona?

I was expecting the show to give a bit more of a reason for Setsuna to try and take out the butterflies demon, like if she doesn't get her dream back in X year she'll die or something. I'd gladly take the ability to never need to sleep anymore in exchange for my memory of when I was a little kid (stuff that I mostly already forgotten). And if anyone tried to reverse that I'd be pissed at them.

Otherwise Towa continue to be a disappointment. "Hey let's not kill this demon who's been murdering people by the literal cartload because he's kinda cute" and "Let's just apologize to this giant skeletal head that's literally eating the skeleton of hundreds of people", wtf is wrong with her? She's kinda presented as the main character (always center in the OP, prominently feature in ed and such) but she's really superfluous to the story.

Last edited by meiam on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At this point, I have to believe that the show has been withholding more details about Kirinmaru's appearance because his identity is supposed to be some kind of twist.

It'll be Towa's teacher. I stake my reputation on it. It's a bizzarely high profile bit of casting for a minor background character.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah for how much they were hyping that transformation it was pretty lame, I was expecting her to turn into wolf demon form/werewolf, not just slightly red. Plus she didn't really feel more powerful, considering the attack she used were the weak stuff Inuyasha was using before he got his sword, its kinda lame as a super power. Also, how did the son get the head back without noticing Mokona?

I was expecting the show to give a bit more of a reason for Setsuna to try and take out the butterflies demon, like if she doesn't get her dream back in X year she'll die or something. I'd gladly take the ability to never need to sleep anymore in exchange for my memory of when I was a little kid (stuff that I mostly already forgotten). And if anyone tried to reverse that I'd be pissed at them.

Otherwise Towa continue to be a disappointment. "Hey let's not kill this demon who's been murdering people by the literal cartload because he's kinda cute" and "Let's just apologize to this giant skeletal head that's literally eating the skeleton of hundreds of people", wtf is wrong with her? She's kinda presented as the main character (always center in the OP, prominently feature in ed and such) but she's really superfluous to the story.

She was raised in the future, away from the murder and mayhem of the Feudal Era. So she's very, how to put this...and forgive my spelling, niaeve over the whole thing? Sota would've raised her to "killing is wrong and forgiveness is right" thing that parents do. So she more likely is influenced by her time in the modern era more than she is in the past, where it's kill or be killed.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

She is an ordinary fourteen year old child that has never had to kill anyone in her entire life. Of course she is not going to be as willing to kill as the Demon Slayer and Bounty Hunter.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Quote:
At this point, I have to believe that the show has been withholding more details about Kirinmaru's appearance because his identity is supposed to be some kind of twist.

It'll be Towa's teacher. I stake my reputation on it. It's a bizzarely high profile bit of casting for a minor background character.

Same here. I mean, already his name is Kirin Osamu.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
This show is messing with us. Did you hear how excited Hisui was to get info about his mother’s life? He knows who his parents are, but for some (tragic?) reason, doesn’t quite remember them...meanwhile, Setsuna remembers meeting Miroku, but doesn’t remember his name...
I’ve heard that Buddhist proverb before...I think Miroku actually says it in one of his first appearances in the original manga? Any Inuyasha superfans have the early manga volumes to check? (I took it out of the library more years ago than I care to say)

As for the rest of the episode, it was fun, but very monster of the week. I’m thinking that maybe someone slayed and gave Moroha Toktsu while she was sleeping. There was also a detail not mentioned in the review: the 4-eyed owl reported the girls’ movements to a demon lady. I prefer Shipou to Takechiyo, too, and I don’t trust the corpse collector guy at all. How much you want to bet that he’s lying about Moroha’s debt, and manipulating her? Even Myoga is suspicious.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Agreed. It felt very off, like she forgot what she was there for. It was fine that she did it at the very beginning, let's just say that's her modern sensibilities, but then she kept at it until the end Rolling Eyes
This is also the 3rd demon she's come up against by this point, so it seemed like a step back for the character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Quote:

In any case, he's clearly not a dog demon, but a kirin (though he lacks the horn or antler), as we were shown earlier. Plus, you know, his name.

(click for larger image)

Dogs don't have hooves, but maybe Kirinmaru is a hybrid, since his muzzle is more dog-like than deer-like. At any rate, kirin are said to be harbingers of the arrival or passing of a great sage or ruler, which seems like it would be a significant clue about what he might be up to and why Sesshy isn't opposing him.

@ Agent355: The original Buddhist kōan is simply, "If you meet the Buddha, kill him." One basic interpretation of that is that those who think they've found all the answers need to start questioning.

I can't swear it, but I think the parents bit might be culled from Saiyuki, in which Sanzo said, "If you meet the Buddha, kill him. If you meet your father, kill your father. Free of everything, bound by nothing, you live your life simply as it is." That she remembered it so differently is interesting though (I don't remember Miroku saying it ever, so if he did, maybe his version was different too?).
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
I guess, in a way, Rin got her wish in the end.

my only hope is that this series dont go down the same road as UQ holder when it comes to fan favs like Rin!

people have already declared that series non canon due to the author's blatant bias! it would be a damned shame is yashahime falls down that same rabbit hole!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or was Moroha's transformation kind of underwhelming? Considering the build up it got I was expecting something like when the Tetsaiga was broken
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I am sincerity pissed off at the fact that the only reason the mystery of what happened to Kagome and Inuyasha simply comes from the fact that NOBODY who knows it feels like saying what happened nor Moroha feels like asking.

Worst part of all is the fact that Moroha both knows how to use Kagome's arrows and spiritual powers better than Kagome and somehow knows the name and usage of Inuyasha's techniques and she also has the (never mentioned before) lipstick.

How can she know this if she doesn't know her parents?

Even if something messed up her memories of them that doesn't explain why she doesn't ask nor nobody mentions what happened, we have Myoga doing random exposition nobody asked him for and doesn't mention the most important parts?

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that Towa can fight on the same level as the other 2, fighting bullies is not the same as years of being a demon hunters.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Worst part of all is the fact that Moroha both knows how to use Kagome's arrows and spiritual powers better than Kagome and somehow knows the name and usage of Inuyasha's techniques and she also has the (never mentioned before) lipstick.

How can she know this if she doesn't know her parents?

Yeah, this is a recurring problem when it comes to next generation sequels. The story wants the next generation characters to be able to fight alongside the previous generation, but because they don't have the same time span for them to be build up to that level of strength, they need to give them those powers much earlier on, be it just inherently by birthright or make them some sort of prodigy that allows them to be comparably strong. This was a problem in Dragon Ball when it came to Trunks and Goten, it was a problem with Hana in the Shaman King sequel, and it's a problem here as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 29