• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime released on HD-DVD?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't typically look into things involving obsolete media formats, but was actually a bit curious of this. I know Katsuhiro Otomo's Freedom was a prominent release on HD-DVD from Bandai Visual when the format was still around in the second half of the 2000s. But were there any other anime released on HD-DVD when it still got releases?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Freedoom was not fully released by Bandai Visual USA (6 of 7 volumes). Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise was also released by Bandai Visual USA. Appleseed Ex Machina was released by Warner Home Video.

There are other titles in Japan that were not released in the U.S.:
- 5 Centimeters per Second
- Afro Samurai
- Brave Story
- Patlabor: The Movie
- Patlabor 2: The Movie
- The Place Promised in Our Early Days
- Vexille

I think these may be all of them?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
My mistake. I forgot Freedom had 7 episodes, not 6. Not very much on the anime stateside and in Japan, I see. Then again, believe many anime distributors were in wait-and-see mode with what media format would prevail in the late-2000s due to the cost of releasing titles on said disc formats at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1